home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Instant Pot SMART – worth waiting for?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gjeun
    Participant

Hi – I’m new to the world of pressure cooking and am considering the Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 programmable pressure cooker. However, I see on the main page of hippressurecooking.com the news of the soon-to-be-released Instant Pot SMART pressure cooker in late November/early December 2014. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether it’s worth the wait of another couple of weeks to purchase the SMART model? Any idea of what the SMART model will retail for? Thanks!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

gjeun,

The SMART will have all of the functions and programs of the DUO + plus status messages of what the pressure cooker is doing on the display screen (when the heating element is on/off, low/med/high pressure inside, bluetooth enabled, program enabled). With the app (currently only for iphone but coming the first quarter of next year for android) you can see the exact temperature inside the smartcooker at any given time during the cooking cycle and use existing recipe scripts (in the app) or write your own.

For example, you can write a recipe script to pressure cook something for 10 minutes at high pressure, and then 10 minutes at low pressure. Or, you can write a recipe script to slow cook something at the high setting for 1 hour and then slow cook it at low setting for 5 hours. You could even write a script to first pressure cook, and THEN slow cook something or a script for low-temp fermentation. Lots of possibilities!

Instant Pot is currently editing the videos for the SMART we made together and should be releasing them very soon.

Only you can be the judge of how important all of these functions, flexibility and app will be for you!

I don’t have word yet on the suggested retail price. But, I’ll be working with Instant Pot, soon, to get a special discount for readers. At which point I’ll be able to come back and let you know the planned cost.

Ciao,

L

gjeun
    Participant

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly to my question, Laura! What a nice feeling to get a response so quickly considering that you’re undoubtedly very busy, so thanks again.

The SMART model has features I think I’d appreciate, so its price in comparison to the IP-DUO60 may be the deciding factor. And just to clarify, Laura, are you able to confirm that the release date for the SMART model is still on target for late November/early December 2014?

Thanks again and I’m enjoying learning more about the art of pressure cooking via your website!

Cheers,
    ~g

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

gjeun, The stars aligned that I was already answering questions when you posted. : ) I’m usually 6-9 hours ahead of most of my US readers so it can even take a day or so to get an answer.

Yes, Instant Pot are still on track for the planned delivery date. Last I heard my Instant Pot contact was visiting the factory in China and said that the production is even a week ahead of schedule. However, having to wait for a the new smartcookers to come by boat means they could be slowed-down by bad weather, port strikes (two things that slowed down the delivery of the new DUO last year), or whatever!

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ok, I have some new info: The retail price of the SMART will be in the $290-$250 range.

We will begin taking coupon-discounted pre-orders as soon as Instant Pot has confirmation that the boat with the cookers has docked state-side (they want to give a realistic ship date). I don’t know when that will be, yet. But they do have confirmation that the first shipment has already left the originating port and is on it’s way to US/Canada.

Ciao,

L

gjeun
    Participant

Thank you, Laura, for the update on the expected price range for the SMART Instant Pots. I’ll be curious to find out what your coupon-discount will be… :)

Cheers,
    ~g

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, we’re going to start taking pre-orders for Instant Pot SMART and offer a very large coupon to hip readers in the next few days. The list price is $289.95, the coupon will be for $100 off. The coupon will only be valid until supplies are exhausted or 12/31/2014 (whichever happens first).

Stay tuned and watch for the coupon as it will be posted on the website before the next newsletter goes out.

I will also make a post in this topic with a link to it once it’s live. : )

In the meantime, you can take a peek at the manual, and even download the app to play around with from here:
    https://www.hippressurecooking.com/smartcooker/

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Coupon’s up! You can see it here:

Discounted Instant Pot SMART for hip readers – on sale again!

Ciao,

L

gjeun
    Participant

Laura, thank you so much for the update messages you’ve been posting here. I think it’s so awesome that you’re able to give your fans (e.g., me) such personal attention by following up on our inquiries. Thanks again!

Karl_in_Chicago
    Participant

My first post. Looks like I got in just under the wire. I started out looking for a quality slow cooker. That then led me to the Instant Pot series and was all set to order the DUO60 on Amazon but then saw the listing for the Bluetooth model (at substantially higher price). Didn’t know much about the Bluetooth so back off to Google for more searching. Impressed with the capabilities but was still finding it difficult to justify the cost proposition (over double) vs added benefit. Started browsing some more and found your terrific end of year special offer and decided to pull the trigger. Just completed ordering and am looking forward to reading up on the posts and recipes here to learn how to best use my new Instant Pot when it arrives. Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.