home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot InstantPot Smart Yogurt Recipe?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    inabech
    Participant

I have been making yogurt in the InstantPot Duo since it came out. I have the new InstantPot Smart on order and would like to be able to make a DIY recipe that you do either or both of the following alternatives:

Alternative 1
    1. Open the yogurt program to do the pasteurization step and beep.
    2. Take cover off pot and let it sit until the temperature reaches 115 degrees F and beep
    3. Put yogurt starter into machine and stir
    4. Cover and Start 8-hour yogurt program and beep when finished.

Alternative 2:
    1. Put milk into inner pot and heat to 195 degrees F
    2, Maintain 195 degrees F for 10 minutes.
    3. Take lid off and Cool to 115 degrees F and beep
    4. Put in yogurt starter and stir.
    5. Cover and start 8-hour yogurt program and beep when finished.

Would either of these programs word with the DIY recipes?

Note: I am interested in testing the 195 degrees F alternative as this is how I made my yogurt (pre InstantPot). I love the yogurt maker in InstantPot but hate to keep checking the temperature, so if either or both of these DIY recipes work, I will be a happy camper. :-)

Also, thanks Laura for all that you do: I am a devoted fan. BTW, I am in Italy for several weeks every summer and wonder if your site is also in Italian, so I can share with all my Italian friends. :-)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi Ina, the recipe script will allow you to do all of this. I have not tested “beeping when it goes DOWN” to a temperature but it can certainly do that when it goes UP to a temperature. I will write a recipe script as you have on Alternative 2, and use it to make my next yogurt batch next week. I’ll then feel more confident in assuring you that it works.

I certainly hate checking the milk with another thermometer to see if it has cooled enough to inoculate with the yogurt starter!

Ciao,

L

inabech
    Participant

Thanks so much in advance for trying Alternative 2. I look forward to your findings. If Version 2 works, it will make yogurt making ALMOST automatic. :-)

BTW, the InstantPot Smarts are delivering. Mine is in transit with expected delivery on Dec. 15. I am traveling extensively for the next 3 months but hope to have a little time between trips to experiment and post some recipes, so an archive can develop. I hope others will do the same.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

inabech, I’m making the yogurt now- I’ll report back in a few hours to let you know how it’s going.

Instant Pot told me that if you use the “Heat to a Temperature” command, and the temperature is lower than the current temperature that command is skipped – however if you use the “Hold the temperature” command it should wait until that temperature is reached. That’s what I’m testing now with my yogurt recipe script.

I’ll give you even more details once I’m sure it works – I’m at the “boiling before making yogurt” step now. : )

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ina, also “Hold the temperature” command was skipped when the temperature is higher. So what I did, is just checked when my milk cooled enough to add the culture using the the status page of the app.

I’ve reported this to Instant Pot and I’ll let you know when I hear back and if there is a work-around.

Ciao,

L

inabech
    Participant

Laura,

Thanks for all your efforts. The news is somewhat disappointing. However, this could be something correctible via a software or firmware upgrade, if indeed, a firmware upgrade is doable.

Meanwhile, my InstantPot Smart arrived yesterday. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I cannot obtain a bluetooth handshake. For a second, the bluetooth was recognized but I cannot get it to join at all. Now the message says it cannot find any smart cooker.
    I
    have tried to connect with my iPhone 6+ and my iPad Mini Retina 2. Both are using the latest version of IOS8.

I called tech support yesterday at InstantPot but you must leave a message. Since I am going out of the country on Monday morning, I have left another message with support. Hopefully, I will hear something before I leave.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Inabech, while you’re waiting to hear back from them – make sure that BlueTooth is turned on in the cooker. It can be turned on and off by holding down the cancel/keep warm key for 10 seconds, or until it beeps. If BlueTooth is “on” you will see a little icon at the top of the smartcooker screen, under the “a” of Instant Pot.

I hope that helps.

Ciao and have a great trip!

L

inabech
    Participant

Laura:

Thanks for the reset suggestion. I tried it; but, unfortunately, the bluetooth symbol does not light up. I hope that the cooker isn’t defective.

Ina

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.