home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot IP Duo ENW at Walmart

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Suzanne 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Suzanne
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up on IP Duo ENW at Walmart, Helen. Following your advice, I read up on this model.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-ENW-Stainless-Steel-7-in-1-Multi-Functional-Pressure-Cooker/46700670#about
    The above webpage is barely operational for me at the moment, else I would paste in here what makes it different from the standard Duo. When I looked at it several days ago, what stuck out to me is that you can turn off Keep Warm in preprogrammed settings–though not in “Manual.”

Isn’t that a significant improvement? I think it means I could select any programmed setting that cooks at High pressure, such as Beans/Chili, adjust the cooking time, turn off Keep Warm, set the delay cooking timer, leave for three hours worth of errands, be gone five hours instead, and come home to a meal not overcooked by Keep Warm. Or I could space out that the rest of my entrée is still sitting in the IP, and, an hour later, not find it desiccated by Keep Warm. Very useful for the ways life actually happens.

Today, the Duo ENW costs $125 at Walmart. Helen, did it go down to $80 only around Black Friday, or have you seen it fluctuate into the $80-ballpark at other times? This seems like a good-enough cooker to use while the industry matures a bit, and without the “Gotcha” of depending on a phone/tablet and app to work properly together in order to access some of the functions.

I don’t know if the Duo and Smart lids are interchangeable. But if they are, and if Keep Warm is your main reason for interest in other brands of cookers, maybe the IP company would sell you an ENW base. Didn’t someone else post a while ago that their replacement Duo base was only around $50? If they take issue with you because you are (what nerve!) a Canadian seeking to buy a Canadian product, you could try ordering one when you are in Alaska.

But merely upgrading your current IP experience, of course, would not be a new adventure. ;-)

Suzanne
    Participant

I lassoed the following from a poster on the Walmart webpage (finally functioning, slowly). This describes how the ENW model has changed from the standard Duo. The poster says this info came from Instant Pot.

* Pressure cooking time in all programs are extended to a max 240 minutes.
    * Soup in More mode has default 240 minutes for making broth
    * Slowcook temperature adjustment – More mode: 93~99°C/200~210°F (High in a common slow cooker) – Normal mode: 87.8~93°C/190-200°F (Medium in a common slow cooker) – Less mode: 82-87.8°C/180-190°F (Low in a common slow cooker)
    * Audible beeps on/off. – Beeps are On as in factory settings. To turn beep off, press and hold “-” for 3 seconds and the LCD screen will display “SOFF”; “+” to turn on beeps, and LCD will display “S On”.
    * Beeps will still be “On” in error scenarios, such as temperature sensor failure.
    * Auto keep warm on/off: – The Auto Keep-warm state is On in factory settings; meaning Keep-warm will kick-in after a program finishes. When a cooking function button is pressed, the function button LED will be lit. Auto Keep-warm can be toggle On and Off by pressing the function key. When it’s On, the Keep-warm LED is on; when it’s off, the Keep-warm LED is off.
    * Memorizing previous program settings: time, pressure, temperature, but not auto-keep-warm
    * Press and hold Adjust button 3 seconds to reset to factory default
    * DUO-ENW only (not LUX-ENW): works at 80kPa (12.5psi) and has a detachable power cord

HelenAdams
    Participant

@suzanne
    Interesting about the keep warm. Not quite the way I have understood it. Progress perhaps:) Would make more sense to me to toggle it on and off and retain the setting until next toggle. Or have it default to off except in slow cooker or rice modes.

I have seen it on sale at least once at Wal-Mart since Black Friday. Will let you know if I see it again. I actually don’t go to Alaska, I go to the Yukon:) I think it would be a 1000 mile drive to the nearest Alaska Wal-Mart. I do know quite a few Walmart truck drivers but doubt I would buy a second IP. Would be handy on occasion but extreme cupboard space problem.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi ladies, just so you know I had updated the DUO page with that information- a little unknown fact is that ALL DUOs produced after December (regardless of their misspelled model number) will have these new functions.

Instant Pot DUO Pressure Cooker Manual & Info

I know- doesn’t make much sense, to me either.

Ciao,

L

HelenAdams
    Participant

@laura
    interesting so the Amazon etc. and Canadian sold ones as well?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Yup, those too. If you want to be SURE let me know and I’ll double check with my contact to see if amazon is selling the new ENW’s or finishing stock from their prior shipment.

The DUO’s sold out on Black Friday so the ones they are selling now would most likely be from the new shipment but the will not change the model number.

AAaaaack! 8)

L

P.S. Maybe they can call those EWN.

Suzanne
    Participant

I was wondering the same thing: how one would tell the difference between an old and an upgraded Duo? Clever of Walmart to get exclusive sales access the month before the holidays.

So the info from Instant Pot on the upgrade doesn’t mention whether Keep Warm can be turned off if you are using the Manual button. It just refers to “cooking function buttons” as a group, which, from looking over the manual this morning, I think includes the Manual button. So, contrary to what I said above, maybe one CAN stop Keep Warm from starting up in a Manual button program. Would you mind confirming that, Laura?

I’d like to know more about this new capability:
    “Memorizing previous program settings: time, pressure, temperature, but not auto-keep-warm”
    Does this mean if you used the Meat/Stew button, your last settings would stay with that button until you changed it? Or does it mean the unit remembers only the last program you modified, regardless of which function button you used?

Also, because my counter space is limited, it would be best if I could store the IP and take it out when I’m ready to use it. But some digital devices make this difficult because each time you plug it in, you have to input set up information before the unit will work. Does the IP require input of a lot of settings before it will work?

Helen, when I saw “Yukon” in your posting months ago, I automatically translated that to “Alaska.” My bad.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I’m sorry I don’t have one of the new DUO’s on hand – I just know what Instant Pot told me when I asked what the difference was between the DUO and the DUO-ENW.

I’m not going to have an easy job explaining half the people who bought the first one why they can’t disable keep-warm like the new one. Especially if they both came from amazon with the same model name.

They changed the models name to keep various retailers happy but.. it’s not really keeping with the ACTUAL model changes!

I put everything they told me in that info page – that way I don’t forget it when I have to look it up, too.

Ciao,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

Sounds like an article on this is in order, prominent on your home page to cut down on the repetitions of this question. Maybe the test is a no-brainer, like an indicator light that goes out when Keep Warm has been successfully removed from a program. If the light doesn’t go out, it’s an old Duo Model. Something like that.

If the IP company isn’t going to give you a new sample Duo pot to examine, which, even if they do will take some time to ship, they’ve got to tell you how people can figure out what they’ve got. Giving old and upgraded pots the same model name would be a major shortfall in planning. You’d think someone would have brought this up in a meeting over the doughnuts. Or maybe they were really distracting doughnuts. Umami doughnuts.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@suzanne AFAIK all of the settings including time of day are kept. I have never had to set anything but the time of day and that was only once. You can tell if it is the newer model once you get it if the keep warm light will go on and off.
    Also if buying it in a store the serial number might be a good indicator. Or looking at the manual.
    My IPS stays on a kitchen cart as I have even less storage than I have counter space.

@laura
    If you are talking to IP people could you ask them if they plan a firmware upgrade for the IP for the keep warm? Probably not but one can hope:)

Suzanne
    Participant

@helen Thanks for your answer on keeping an IP unplugged in between uses.

I remember reading that Walmart’s customer base can be so desirable to a supplier that Walmart can and does get some companies to make strategic moves against their own interest, to get the product and price Walmart wants. And that some suppliers go out of business trying to satisfy Walmart’s dictates. The awkward flow of information about the ENW product could be down to the Instant Pot company bending over backward and in the process muddling its internal procedures to satisfy Walmart. But I speculate . . .

HelenAdams
    Participant

I don’t pretend to know Instant Pot’s marketing strategy. In Canada and the US it is much cheaper (sometimes less than 1/2) to buy from a second party supplier than from Instantpot.com. Walmart Canada does not carry them. Amazon.ca does as do some grocery stores and drug stores. I have seen the Duo 60 for $108 CAD in stores where it is over $200 CAD (factoring in the 34% exchange rate from USD) from the company so I assume that they wish to be a wholesaler.
    I may bitch about a couple of things like the keep-warm but I strongly feel it is a well made, quality product with excellent support and very convenient. I have taken off the bottom and the wiring is the best I have ever seen.

Suzanne
    Participant

@helen If you feel like giving a shout when you see a good sale on the upgraded Duo, I’ll be listening. While I like my stovetop PC, increasingly I want to dispense with being mindful of what the pressure valve stem is doing for hours at a time during my Sunday morning cooks. A couple of hours would be okay, but then I’d like to “set it and forget it.”

HelenAdams
    Participant

@suzanne
    I will. Perhaps you can put an alert at Amazon or just keep look at it a few times and they will send you an email. Sometimes the good sales are very limited time.

Suzanne
    Participant

Below are some responses I’ve received to my questions from the Instant Pot company’s customer service, in case anyone else is wondering the same things.

My question: I asked if “Memorizing previous program settings: time, pressure, temperature, but not auto-keep-warm” means EACH function button will memorize its last settings–allowing you to access a range of memorized settings among the various function buttons at any given time–or if the IP unit as a whole would memorize only the last setting, regardless of which function button was used.

IP Customer Service response: This means that if you change a preset function’s time from, for example “Soup” 30mins to 25mins, the next time you choose the “Soup” function, it will show as 25mins. This will not change the memorized times for the other functions unless you specially change a preset time for a certain function. Press and hold “Adjust” for 3 secs to reset to the factory default.

My question: Will the last input settings be memorized if you are using the Manual button?

IP Customer Service response: The last input setting is also memorized for the “Manual” function as well.

My question: If the cooker is unplugged, will it lose the new memorized settings?

IP Customer Service response: No, the pot will remember the new settings even after being unplugged. It should stay memorized for over a week. You can still turn off the “Keep Warm” but this will not be remembered the next time you use the function.

My question: Can I tell which version of the Duo I have bought by the outside packaging, the manual, or the serial number?

IP Customer Service response: Amazon.com might still be selling the non-upgraded DUO models. You can tell which version you have by looking at the silver sticker located on the back of the cooker base. If it have IPDUO60/50 V2, then this is the software upgraded version.

My question: How can I know before I order a new Duo from Amazon or some other online vendor whether they are selling the upgraded model or the old model?

IP Customer Service response: Unfortunately, our resellers would not be able to specifically send you a new version or an older version by request. The only indication is located on the silver sticker on the back of the cooker base and is indicated by a V2 after the model.
    If you want to be sure to receive a V2, you would need to purchase it through our online store https://instantpot.com/store/product.php?productid=23%26cat=0%26page=%26featured=Y%26partner=pazzaglia and then reply right away to this ticket with your order number so that we can make sure that you are sent a V2 model.

Suzanne
    Participant

I was pleased about the response to the function button memorization. Looks like it means you could have a number of recipes you make weekly and have customized settings available for all of them. Even if you store your cooker unplugged.

And sounds like the only way to be sure of getting a version 2 IP today is to order directly from the IP company and specify which version is wanted, or get the ENW from Walmart.

drolph
    Participant

Do not buy the DUO directly from Instant Pot and expect to receive the V2 model.

I bought it from them on January 17th and they sent me the older one.

They refused to do an exchange, because I ran it once. Also, the service agent said I was responsible for not knowing the difference between the “ENW” model for sale on Wal-Mart and Amazon and the DUO60 for sale on instantpot.com. It’s still confusing to know if Amazon is selling the V2.

Anyways, I will try not to let this sour my introduction to the world of pressure cooking :)

-danny

Suzanne
    Participant

With your new Instant Pot Duo, I’m guessing you will be one of many satisfied customers. The number of positive reviews on Amazon suggests to me a good outcome is highly probable. I pressure cook about half of my recipes. I love how quickly I can cook beans, soups and whole grains. The occasional poultry recipe comes out great with little fuss or waiting. Welcome to the world of more efficient cooking!

The IP company seems to have created a messy transition period from the version 1 to the version 2 Duo with little/no information that there’s more than one version being sold. Hopefully they’ll get enough pushback from folks like you to market what’s being sold better. I appreciate that they’ll make sure you get a version 2 if you request it, but I doubt most folks ordering from them will know to specify which one.

Meanwhile, the Duo you have should be a great introduction to pressure cooking. This website will help you learn.

drolph
    Participant

Instant Pot followed up with me after my first service request, and they will be replacing by base with a V2 base. So, that is very appreciated!

Suzanne
    Participant

Glad to hear you got the IP you wanted!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

drolph, I contacted them on your behalf. : )

I haven’t had time to come back and post what they told me. Basically they have both V1 and V2 in their warehouses and since they all have the same barcode the warehouses can’t tell them apart. Instant Pot expects the warehouse inventory will be fully V2 in a few months.

Ciao,

L

drolph
    Participant

Grazie mille :)

momowack
    Participant

I bought an ENW from Walmart, and have to return it because

#1.There is no musical sound when the lid is in position and locks.
    #2.It begins to count down when the pressure indicator hasn’t even popped up yet.

I am thoroughly irritated, as it was replacing my less than three year old Duo that just stopped working.

I’m wondering if corners were cut on the models made for Walmart exclusively.? I hesitate to replace it. If it worked it would totally be worth the extra 10 bucks from the Duo on Amazon.

I really do enjoy the improved features however. Can set it so it won’t go into keep warm, among other things.

Obviously IP has some quality control issues.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Momowack – I think you got a bum unit. I just got an 8L DUO v2. (aka ENW) and it makes the music sound both when the lid opens and closes. So the fact that yours doesn’t AND it’s starting to count-down at a weird time tells me something is wrong.

Instant Pot makes the same unit for everyone and then changes model names for marketing purposes. : )

Ciao,

L

Mary_Ellen
    Participant

Hi. I wanted to post that I got a v1 in mid-June 2016. Very surprising, especially since I reached out to them before I ordered, and they assured me that ALL the units they’re currently shipping are now v2’s. Except for mine, as it turns out. They quickly took care of it, though. I shipped the v1 back, at their expense, and just received my shiny new v2 a couple of days ago. I ordered directly from InstantPot’s website.

(And, of course, I wouldn’t have known, or cared, about v1/v2/v-whatever, but for the info on this forum. So, um, thanks?? I think??? lol ;) )

Mary Ellen

Suzanne
    Participant

I wondered if there were still a few v.1s out there. Good to hear IP company customer service continues to be responsive to this issue and gets buyers what they were expecting in the end. Thanks for sharing your story.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I’ve been using a v2 DUO 8L for several months – it’s handy for Natural Release – but I miss looking at the keep-warm timer for the 10-minute release. I have to keep reminding myself NOT to turn off keep-warm for those recipes!!

Ciao,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

That’s where having recipes on a screen instead of paper could be really useful — maybe one could set up a flashing red reminder about things like this. Sometimes my hard-copy recipes get so congested with penciled-in notes that when I’m in action mode, chopping and stirring, I blow right by my penciled notes and repeat mistakes. Be nice if the more critical notes could flash at me!

I was curious about why you got an 8L Duo.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I wanted to try it out the 8L since it’s a LITTLE wider than the 6L – but honestly for a family of 4 it’s too big, bulky and tall. The inner pot barely fits in my dishwasher and when I used it under the kitchen cabinets it’s really too tall to operate. I’m still pining for an oval pressure cooker – an electric pressure braiser. Even at 8L it would be low enough for braising and wide enough to fit a very large chicken or small turkey. Everything I’ve seen so far has non-stick liners which I don’t feel comfortable using to cook for my family (save a frittata).

Ciao,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

I’m with you on the nonstick liners. I have only one nonstick skillet for fish and eggs (which I’d replace with high-carbon steel if only the darn thing would show any signs of wear).

Ease of use within limited kitchen space really matters. It’s part of why I’ve dragged my feet on bringing an electric PC into my small kitchen. My 6L KR is the biggest pot I own, and I don’t want anything else that big or bigger.

I wonder if the physics of providing sufficient structure for a pressurized oval PC are an obstacle to manufacturers. In a pressurized oblong, wouldn’t the sides furthest from the center have to carry a higher pressure load?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.