home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot IP Smart 60 Discontinued?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dee_f
    Participant

Hello! I’m new to Instant Pot. When reading all of the reviews, I failed to realize that the Ultra doesn’t have the app support that the Duo does. And while the extra features of the Ultra all sound nice, to my mind they really don’t make up for the loss of the control the app provided — most specifically, the ability to build scripts that can pressure cook and then brown without needing the cook to return to the kitchen and push buttons.

I’ve looked to see if I can order a Smart anywhere to play with before the return period on my Ultra ends (it’s in the box for now) — but it seems like maybe the Smart has been discontinued?

I don’t see it on IP’s website, and anyone who has it listed for a reasonable price has no stock. Meanwhile resellers are scalping single units on Amazon marketplace and eBay.

Any information available? Should I forget about the Smart until prices for clearance or used units come back to earth? Is there a way to enter programs on the Ultra’s front panel that will cook at different temperatures for different intervals, or automatically start browning after natural pressure release?

If not, I can’t imagine why Instant Pot chose to eliminate those features from the entire product lineup, unless maybe they’re about to replace the Smart 60 with a WiFi enabled product.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I don’t think so, it is on their homepage. There has been a rush on Instant Pots and at the end of December all the models sold out. They will likely get more in soon, hopefully, they’re working on an update.

Before purchasing it, check that the app works with your phone/tablet/phablet as their app seems to be a moving target as it tends to change what operating systems and versions they work with everytime there is an update. Some readers had their BlueTooth App work originally, but not work anymore when they had a system update, or the app was updated. There are just too many moving parts.

If you don’t have a specific need that can only be met by the SMART (such as sous vide or sequential programming) I recommend getting one of their DUO’s.

Ciao,

L

dee_f
    Participant

Thanks!

It still seems a little odd — the product info page is still up (https://instantpot.com/portfolio_entries/smart-bluetooth/). But IP’s “pressure cooker” store page (https://store.instantpot.com/collections/cookers/pressure-cooker) doesn’t show it, even out of stock. However, the “HipPressureCooking” bundle with lid is still listed under “all cookers.”

And some of the listed retailers have removed or deactivated their product pages for the Smart. Not sure if that means anything….

I don’t need the Smart for sous vide, I have the older Anova and would buy a Joule if I wanted to upgrade. But I would like the sequential programming — and am surprised that it can’t be done via the Ultra’s front panel, if IP decided maintaining the app is too troublesome. Why drop that feature entirely?

That’s why I wonder, looking towards the trends with other devices, if IP is going to move away from Bluetooth + native app to WiFi + a webapp, for an updated Smart IP that could (among other things) work with Alexa, HomeKit, etc.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Agree. If they evolve to a web app maintaining two versions (apple & android) and system changes would be negligent. The SMART used to be my very favorite Instant Pot model, but it literally got to the point that so many systems and app changes that I, personally, cannot use the SMART functions anymore. : (

Hence why I’m not necessarily pushing it, recommend that people find out if the app works first, and warn them that a change down the line might make it inoperable – I’m probably not the only one.

Ciao,

L

HiTemp
    Participant

Just came across this thread. I emailed Instant Pot last month to ask about the Smart. Was told that it has been discontinued and they are working on a new model, but no estimate as to when it will be available.

insight
    Participant

Maybe it would make sense for the group or people on the forum to assimilate information about which Versions of iOS app were MINUS Bugs. That way people can avoid updating or keeping to a safer stabler version. Thoughts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.