home Forums Cookbook questions, comments and photos just got laura's book

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gteague
    Participant

should have ordered this about a half-dozen meals ago when i was starting. but it was sort of expensive even for a hardback book at about $18 here in the amazon us store. and even the ebook for kindle which i sometimes prefer for the search function in reference books was about $12 and i’m used to paying $2-4 for an ebook.

my first reaction was ‘godz this thing is heavy’! i have a couple thousand books (unfortunately still packed away from a recent move) and have loved and cherished them all my life. so believe me when i say that i have rarely seen a book of this quality outside of the textbook or technical reference fields. thick heavy covers and heavyweight paper with color plates. i’ve had encyclopedia volumes which weren’t this quality or this weight.

now i hasten to say i can’t yet comment on the contents as i’ve barely opened it. but finally curiosity got the best of me and i put it on my escali digital scale. the result: 2lbs-6oz or well over a kg at 1084 grams. wow! not going to be casually carrying this thing around unless you need ballast for your hot air balloon!

at any event, i suspect the pictures will be a total waste for me as i have no ambitions of making my food look good. one reason i’m so astonished at the quality is that the trend in technical books is that they’ll go out of date in perhaps as little as a year and are now put out in low-quality ‘versions’ like software. and this book does discuss electric pressure cookers and some of the content (just guessing here) might go out of date pertaining to those.

if i find, after trying a few recipes, that the content suits me i’ll go ahead and get the kindle version as well so i can have search capability.

anyway, great job with the quality control laura–it immediately took the sting out of the price.

/guy

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far, Guy. The publisher did a really nice job with the binding – you’ll notice that it’s also designed to stay opened to a particular page, too.

I can’t take credit for any of the design, including the ink color which is very light or the fact that the weights are only stated in US measurements.

The content, however is all me.

I’ll ask for more control over the next book (likely going with another publisher or doing it myself) and there won’t be any recipes with “pancetta” (I’ll just call it bacon) or Gorgonzola cheese – which seems to be the ingredient everyone is freaking out about in the amazon reviews.

The goal of the Hip book was to create a comprehensive guide to share the knowledge of pressure cookery. You’ll find a mix of both easy a more elaborate recipes. The icons are the key. If there are no accessories, the recipe is easy!

Software and technology change really quickly – 6-12 months – but cookware (thankfully) takes a little longer. So you won’t have to buy a new “version” of the hip book next year!!

Ciao,

L

P.S. The traditional book-publishing world is VERY slow. I turned in the completed manuscript three years ago!

Anonymous
    Participant

@laura,
    I wouldn’t worry about Amazon reviewers going on about Gorgonzola or even pancetta. When my favourite cookbook (not yours – sorry) hit Amazon, several reviewers complained bitterly about how brains figured so prominently in it. There was exactly one recipe that used brains. Mind you I still haven’t cooked that one recipe. I’ve cooked most of the others though. Repeatedly.

@gteague,
    What are you doing buying a cookbook. I thought you said you don’t cook! :P

gteague
    Participant

@greg: i don’t cook. but now i’m pressure cooking!

@laura: you got tweaked a lot in the amazon reviews for the book and some of them were fair criticisms such as the very light (and small, to me) font used which you said was out of your control.

also, after skimming through every page (speed reading!), i can see this cookbook will have to be placed away in storage (except for the generic advice) until i’m much more advanced–these techniques and multi-ingredient multi-step recipes are nearly all above my head right now. i need the very basics and how to cook simple stuff so i can build on that.

btw, i had to laugh at the reviewer who was freaked out by the calamari cleaning–i _love_ calamari and when i lived in italy i always asked if it was on the menu–usually it was fried or in a pasta dish. when at someone’s home i would always volunteer to clean and prep it.

i also spot-checked the index and i know authors rarely build their own indexes anymore, but i had about a 30-40% failure rate for finding terms i thought should be somewhere in the book. of course the ebook would make this moot. the only term i remember failing on was ‘pinto’ beans. pinto may be a texas term but it seems like it’s common enough it should be a separate line item in the timing charts and at least in parentheses when using that ‘b’ word for pintos which i can’t remember right now.

/guy

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The index was done by the publisher – they insisted they do it (I was willing to learn how to do it). I was looking at the index last week and couldn’t even find “osso buco” in it.

So, I commiserate with you on the uselessness of the index.

I can’t let too much out of the bag for the next cookbook, but the focus will be ease – though by the time it’s published you won’t need it. ; )

Ciao,

L

gteague
    Participant

i gave you a 4-star review on amazon laura. i refrained from saying outright that you were working on another book because we know from the tech world ( <coughcough> osbourne ) that announcement of new products sometimes cut into current sales. [g]

anyway, i hope you think it is a fair review (i snuck in a link to hippressure.com although it’s against their rules!) and if i could i’d fly over there and flog you until you get the next one finished! [g]

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

@guy,
    Since you like beans, you may want to try the Congri on p113.

ANother straightforward recipe would be the the Spumante risotto. Feel free to leave out the wine if that’s not your thing. But make sure you use ine of the types of rice (Arborio or Carnaroli) Laura specifies.

gteague
    Participant

tks! i’ll take a look at those greg. i didn’t even eat risotto when i was in italy unless i just didn’t understand what i was getting. but i did get a large container for arborio rice on your recommendation and it’s ready to go.

/guy

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks Guy, it’s important that you leave your opinion – even if you think the recipes are too advanced.

Ciao,

L : )

Sher-TN
    Participant

Is the book out of print, or just out of stock on Amazon? I looked for it, but there wS only the Kindle, & super high used copies available. Thanks!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The first printing sold out – so you may still be able to find some at bookstores or alternate online book stores. Or, you can place a preorder with amazon so that they’ll send you one as soon as it’s available.

A new printing will be available at the end of February.

Ciao,

L

Sher-TN
    Participant

Oh, that’s nice to know! I didn’t see a pre-order page–hopefully I can find one. Thanks!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

You’re right, actually. I just noticed they removed the pre-order button. I have contacted amazon to ask them to put it back on!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.