home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Keifer in the Instant Pot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jonilyn
    Participant

Oh Laura! Just read in a previous post regarding fermenting beans in the Instant Pot that you made Keifer in your’s.
    Could you tell me how you do it? I have the grains but must make it with coconut milk as we don’t use cow’s milk in any form at all.

Another adventure in my beloved instant pot! I can’t wait!

Happy New Year’s Eve form Canada

Jonilyn

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ok, I can tell you how I do it with whole milk.

I use a glass container (1/2 liter pitcher – equivalent to about two cups) and fill it with 50g kefir grains (roughly enough to cover the bottom) and 450g whole cow’s milk. I cover the container with a paper towel and rubber band. Instead of leaving it in my kitchen overnight – as I usually do in warmer whether- I ferment it in the Instant Pot SMART.

Then I fill the Instant Pot with 1 cup water, add the glass container in the middle of the instant pot and add the glass or Instant Pot lid. Then, I start my Kefir recipe script.

Sometime in the middle of it, when I remember, I open everything and stir it around.

I can’t make a pretty IP icon here, but you can add my script to your app by clicking on this link:
    https://www.hippressurecooking.com/smartcooker/diy439454109.cooker

Have fun!

Ciao,

L

P.S. I have some Kefir fermenting in my Instant Pot right now, it should be ready in a few hours.

Jonilyn
    Participant

Thanks for the info Laura. I don’t have the newest Instant Pot I have last year’s model, so I will use the yoghurt feature and give it a go!

Cheers…….Jonilyn

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Jonilyn, the DUO runs a bit “hot”. Be sure to use the “ferment” setting – push “yogurt” and then adjust to “less.” So, before I had the SMART, to ferment in the DUO I put a silicone trivet on the base of the cooker and no water. I put the covered jar on the trivet. Then, I closed the lid and checked the kefir in about 5 or 6 hours – any longer and the cow’s milk separates into curds and whey. I don’t know if the same thing will happen with coconut milk.

So, watch it carefully!!!

Ciao,

L

ruthelizabeth
    Participant

Hi Laura,

I just watched the video you did for the Instant Pot website about the DUO and I am really tempted to get one, especially knowing that it makes yogurt and kefir! Do you have a recommended source of kefir grains? I have had bad luck with making kefir at home.

Thanks, love your site!

Ruth

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Well, I got my grains from my children’s Karate teacher. : ) But I like to read this fermenting group – they share and send each other Kefir (and more). So you might get to meet a neighbor who is fermenting and get lots of advice:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/181445115312844/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.