home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Laura's stovetop pc's

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

Hi Laura, do you still use your stove top pressure cookers or have you switched entirely to the electric pressure cooker(s)?

I’m curious because I saw a photo on this site of your collection of stovetops and I wondered if you’ve abandoned them?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ever since Fagor put out their electric with a spring valve (which only requires 1/2 cup / 125ml) of cooking liquid I don’t use the stovetops anymore.

With the extra time this has brought me, including extra features of a multicooker, I’ve been experimenting with complementary cooking methods and techniques – which I hope to begin introducing on the website as well in the future. ; )

Ciao,

L

Dave
    Participant

Okay.

What do you plan to do with your stovetops? Will you use any of them again?

Dave
    Participant

Forgot to say earlier…

There will be users of stove top pressure cookers who visit this site. I hope your recipes will be tested for stove tops, otherwise that leaves us users wondering if new recipes will work in our stove tops!

When you reviewed stove tops in the past, you would test the maximum water temperature reached at full operating pressure. Could you also do this when you review electric PC’s in future?

Dave
    Participant

I’ve never used an electric PC, I would guess it’s the equivalent of using a microwave or Actifry (I own both of these and I use the Actifry regularly for great chips!)?

Would you keep a stovetop PC for use on gas in a power cut?

Despite their drawbacks, stovetops will outlast electrics by many years.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Dave, don’t worry. I use the lowest common denominator for recipe writing & testing – I always have. Although I now exclusively use electric pressure cookers it has not erased the experience and knowledge I’ve gained from using all kinds of stovetops for almost 10 years.

Even the newest stove top pressure cooker models have the same spring valves, etc..; So, unless there’s going to be a big innovation or change in how stovetops operate, whatever recipe I write will always work in ANY pressure cooker. : )

In the future, I will also publish recipes that explore the multi-functions of electric pressure cookers – and those will not have a stove top equivalent for obvious reasons. ; )

Ciao,

L

Dave
    Participant

Excellent!

I hope you can test the maximum temperature of electrics when you review them, like you did for stovetops you reviewed in the past. The highest temperature was achieved by the Fagor stovetop if my memory recalls? EDIT: yes it was the Fagor Futuro at 120.7 C

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Yes, I will check the custom program temperature and will need a new way to test for evaporation (I’m thinking of weighing the entire pressure cooker before & after – shopping for an industrial scale). I’m really curious to see how Fagor’s spring valve performs on their electric compared to the weight everyone else has.

I’m also chewing on doing video reviews – with the narration being similar as I’ve done in the past and also in writing (as in the pressure cooking school). It’s so much easier to just show instead of describing some things.

Lots of ideas, that I have to form into a template and use for all future reviews but still make them comparable to the previous ones.

Ciao,

L

Dave
    Participant

Excellent. Your videos are great!

The maximum temperature at HIGH pressure for electrics will obviously be lower than stovetops e.g. stovetop HIGH pressure 15 psi is ~120.7 C and electrics at HIGH pressure will be around 117 C I’m guessing?

Greg
    Participant

Pretty much. It depends on the exact model though. And whether the PC actually maintains the nominal pressure, or just touches it at the start of cooking.

Check out Pressure/Temperature correlation for more details

Dave
    Participant

That would need to be taken into account. Does the electric PC only reach the maximum temperature for a few seconds or does it maintain it?

Greg
    Participant

According to Laura’s testing Electrics reach maximum pressure (and therefore temperature) only once at the beginning of cooking. After that the thermostat cuts in and out but the pressure never quite reaches the initial maximum again. She has a graph showing this somewhere but I don’t have the time to look for it right now.

I suspect that she only actually tested this with one pressure cooker once. But I do not know this. happy to be corrected.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Yes, that is somewhat right, Greg.

The weighted valve on the lid is calibrated to yield at 15.2 psi – so electrics cookers actually go into “over pressure” at the beginning of cooking to vent out the air before closing the valve.

After the initial venting the heating element cycles through turning on and off to maintain pressure during the chosen cooking program or time. In general, but it depends on the manufacturer’s spec., the heating element turns on when the pressure goes down to 10.1 and off when it reaches 11.6 PSI – so technically the higher number would be “maximum pressure”.

The nice thing about the whole set-up is that even though these cookers have a cheaper weighted valve, they call it a “float valve” but honestly it’s just a weight, they operate similarly to a spring valve in that for electric pressure cookers heat is regulated to keep the weighted valve from venting.

Here is the chart that shows the cycling of an electric…

Pressure Cooker PSI FAQ: the stuff you didn’t think to ask about pressure

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

P.S. Fagor’s spring valves are calibrated in the 17psi range – so I’m really curious to see how the temperature measurement will go with their electric because for all intents and purposes they are using the same valve on the lid.

I haven’t checked with them to see if they made some special new valve for the electric – physically it is identical to the one they use on stovetops.

Dave
    Participant

Will be interesting to see what temperature the Fagor electrics can reach.

Shame they don’t sell their products in the UK anymore.

Dave
    Participant

Just going through my past postings. If you still have any stovetops unused, the gaskets will dry out. Have you given away your stovetops or kept any for emergencies?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.