home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Leather britches or shuck beans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    swtgran
    Participant

These beans are an Appalachian favorite. They take quite a while to simmer on the stovetop.

Has anyone ever made these? If so, have you ever tried them in a pressure cooker? Were the results as good or did the pod part of the bean turn to mush? If the results were good, how long did you cook them under pressure?

Thanks, Terry

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Terry, it took me a while to answer because I had never heard of these and I had to do a little research! This is an interesting product in that it’s green beans (pod and all) that have been dried.

You’re on the right track – anything that can be boiled can also be pressure cooked!

Most recipes say to soak and boil for 2 hours of conventional cooking time – I would try the chickpea cooking time on a small batch (the densest bean known to man) and see how that works.

Remember that even with these you should not fill the pressure cooker more than half full and use natural release!!

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

P.S. Let me know the cooking time you figure out and I’ll add it to the pressure cooking time table and link to this discussion.

swtgran
    Participant

Thank you. I will start out with a small batch and use the suggested timing. I currently have several strings drying on screened porch. If they work out, I will let you know how everything works out

Biggest problem is getting them to dry without them molding first. I probably should have used a different kind of green bean, but any should work.

Terry

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Is it OK to dry them out in the sun? Southern Italians do this with tomatoes (sun-dried tomatoes), peppers (for sweet paprika) and olives (that’s how they become black and shriveled). Maybe a clothes line and a whole day out will help. Otherwise, if they must stay in the porch maybe a simple fan blasting their way?

It’s so hot, you probably don’t even want to hear the “o” word now, but perhaps a very low oven with the convection fan?

Ciao,

L

swtgran
    Participant

I think various methods have been used in different parts of the country. Some people put them in barns. Others hang them on nails in their attics. Some say you used to drive through the south and see them hanging on the porches or in people’s windows. Some use dehydrators, but people with experience drying them, say the results are not the same with the dehydrator.

I have mine hanging on unwaxed dental floss, on a clothes drying rack, on my back screened porch. I guess it usually takes around 3 weeks.

I will post pictures if all goes as planned.

Terry

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Can’t wait!!! : )

Ciao,

L

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.