home Forums Recipe Swap Looking for a pickled eggs recipe

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Linda Kaufman 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jonilyn
    Participant

I have 2 dozen organic free range eggs and would love to pickle them. Anyone have a good recipe?

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi Jonylin,
    I am not sure if this is the sort of thing you are after, but Laura did a “European Thousand year egg” based on this recipe:

Chinese Marbled Tea Egg Recipe

Laura’s is here:

Marbled Chinese Tea Eggs – Faster!

I tried both seasoning sets but using Laura’s technique. I have to say I preferred the original Chinese version. But then I am NOT a fan of Earl Grey.

Jonilyn
    Participant

Thanks Greg. They do sound interesting. I want a brine recipe. I’ll cook the eggs in the pressure cooker, hopefully they will peel easily, and then I’ll pop them into a seasoned brine. They store in the fridge for up to a month. Great for lunches.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Jonilyn, if you have the hip cookbook, there’s a post-pressure cooking pickling recipe at the end of the egg chapter. ; )

Ciao,

L

Jonilyn
    Participant

Thank you Laura! I do. Can’t believe I didn’t look there!

HelenAdams
    Participant

One way they do it some bars is to take the pickle juice from the dill pickles, boil it and just put the eggs in it. Bizarre but true.

wilkwise
    Participant

My mother always made pickled eggs when we had beets for dinner and I do the same. There are lots of variations but a similar recipe was this, although minus the cinnamon and cloves. (She used garlic cloves and a small onion or two): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/red-beet-eggs.html
    If you don’t use canned beets than the strained cooking water from fresh beets can be used. Just a personal observation, young children seem to be fascinated by the resulting reddish eggs.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has some interesting recipes also:
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

againstthegrain
    Participant

Pickling eggs and beets together is a Pennsylvania tradition that I think originated from the Amish/German immigrant communities. My mother’s family settled in colonial Pennsylvania, so my mother always pickled eggs with beets right after Easter (great way to use up all those dyed hard boiled eggs). They’re gorgeous eaten with a bit of mayonnaise and a pinch of salt (a la Frances for those who remember the children’s book Bread and Jam for Frances). I always loved the attention my purple eggs received at school when they showed up in my sack lunches.

I loved the eggs but never liked the pickled beets very much while growing up, but I think that might be because my mother used canned beets, which aren’t nearly as good as fresh beets cooked at home. Since joining a CSA program (subscription to a weekly box of seasonal organic produce from a local farm) I have learned to love the earthy flavor of fresh beets. The pressure cooker allows me to cook small quantities of beets in a short time, so now the beets don’t pile up in the produce drawer waiting for enough to justify a long roast in the oven.

Linda Kaufman
    Participant

I also marinate eggs according to my mother’s recipe, I liked your recipe, took note of it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.