home Forums Recipe Swap Making yogurt without the setting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mamanpeloso
    Participant

Goog morning
    I’m looking for instruction on how to make yogurt in the IP I JUST realized that I don’ t have the setting yoghurt .

Thank u
    Valerie

Anonymous
    Participant

Welcome,
    Unfortunately if you don’t have the setting in your particular model you cannot use your PC for yoghurt.

Making yoghurt is done in basically two steps. The first is to heat the milk to ALMOST boiling to kill any unwanted bacteria, then lowering the temperature and adding the wanted bacteria and keeping it WARM so they grow to make the yoghurt.

A normal PC is designed to heat to ABOVE boiling, then hold that temperature for a set time. The Instant Pot designers realised they had a way to regulate temperature quite accurately and that it didn’t have to be such a high temperature. So they built in a series of settings to control the PC at the lower temperatures needed for yoghurt. They made this available on some models but not others. I suspect they simply had not had the light bulb moment when the others were designed.

My Electric PC does not offer this capability. I use my Sous Vide machine instead.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Maman, the program settings detail a specific temperature, time and pressure. Unless you have a pressure cooker that will allow you to set the temperature and time, you cannot make yogurt in your pressure cooker.

HOWEVER, you could use it off simply as an thermos to keep the mixture warm during fermentation – it is not as reliable as using a cooker with a yogurt setting (see option 3), here:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/crafty-solutions-3-ways-to-mak-125216

Ciao,

L

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.