home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Montreal style smoked brisket.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Helen Adams

So I am once again in possession of a sous vide circulator.
    For my second attempt at cured beef I am trying a recipe not from ChefSteps:(.

Montreal Smoked Meat

It seems a tad odd in that it has Montreal steak spice as an ingredient But I have all of the ingredients got brisket on sale the other day.

So my questions for Greg if you have time
    I don’t have a smoker, but most Montreal smoked meat is not actually smoked anymore. Should I add liquid smoke to the bag when sous vide?

I have cut my brisket in three equal 1 lb. pieces so I can brine/cook them for different times. I will start cooking one at the recommended 60 hours brining time. The second 48 hours later. The third probably at 6 or 7 days. I will test the first one when I start the second and decide on the third based on that probably. Does that seem logical? I am no longer afraid of over salted as I can soak as you do. I do tend to overcomplicate at times.

Off topic: I had the most wonderful sous vide salmon last night. Was a frozen cryovaced Western Family Classics Smokey Peppercorn marinated Salmon Fillet 567g. Was keeping it for an occasion, but decided it’s time had come. The salmon was lovely and the marinade was to die for. Wish I had the recipe. They do list liquid smoke as one ingredient.

HelenAdams
    Participant

The smoked meat brisket was good but didn’t taste like Montreal Smoked beef. Mildly disappointed.
    I cooked it for 24/48/72 hours at 155 and really not sure which was best.

My recent brisket cooked at 140 for 24 hours (not brined) was superb so that is what I am going for with my currently brined Chefsteps corned beef.

Anonymous
    Participant

Sorry Helen,
    I didn’t see this first time around.
    I have only just started using liquid smoke. It is not common here. Our barbecues traditionally are cooked fast on an open fire. Not “low and slow” as a consequence smoked products (except bacon and ham) are a novelty here. That is beginning to change but I’ll be surprised if I see smoking enter the mainstream in my lifetime.

That said, I did track down some liquid smoke when I decided to do the ChefSteps Apartment Ribs. I had to buy a gallon and the recipe called for half a teaspoon. Sigh. I have added the ribs to my regular rotation on a slow cycle so I will eventually use it up. I am also trying it in other things too and it can work really well. I have actually thrown out the ChefSteps recipe. I moved on to Meathead’s Memphis Dust To which I add salt as I am following the ChefSteps method, and Liquid Smoke. I am up to about a teaspoon per rib now. I am also using my own sauce loosely based on meatheads Kansas City sauce. I just hope I can duplicate it. I have some ribs in the SV as I type

When I was looking for liquid smoke, I ended up with Wrights. All the others that I found , including Colgins – the other brand ChefSteps recommended- had lots of additives. Wrights had smoke and water.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Hi Greg. I did reply a day or so ago but it along with several other posts hasn’t shown up. OH well.

Rubs are not big in Canada outside of possibly Montreal. I haven’t brined much meat but with or without does not make a significant difference to me. I looked at a brined corn beef in the grocers and it did not appear to have a packet included?

People do smoke food in Canada but more often fish than meat. I went to a restaurant in Tennessee where they smoked 1/2 a cow outdoors regularly. Wondering now how the rubbed that:)

I am so far unimpressed with the liquid smoke, but I do like the smoked salt quite a bit.

HelenAdams
    Participant

My Chefsteps corned beef turned out really well. Not too salty at all. I must have screwed up badly with the brine the first time.
    I have only learned to use the recipe scaler the easy way recently. Love it.
    I have also done a small boneless pork shoulder roast at 145 for 5 hours. Again really really good for both flavour and texture and slice-ability with my less than excellent knives.

I am going to get brave and try chicken again and my next brisket attempt will likely be this one.

The Blog itself is very nice.

agent00F
    Participant

Another flavor enhancer worth trying on beef is fish sauce. Modernist Cuisine likens the umami flavor to dry aging.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.