home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Multigrain Function on Instant Pot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    erica
    Participant

Has anyone used this function on their Instant Pot. I feel very stupid because I can’t seem to figure it out, and the Instant Pot company is anything but helpful. The way I read the instructions is that you choose normal for 40 minutes, less for 20 and more for 45 minutes. These times also include a soaking period if I am reading the directions correctly.

Today I decided to try it with brown rice, so I chose less since brown rice takes 22 minutes to cook in the pressure cooker, so I figured it would take 20 minutes plus the soaking time. After 20 minutes the cooker beeped that is was done? I should have just used manual and done 22 minutes like I did when I cooked brown rice last week, but I wanted to compare. I know I must be missing something?

Has anyone used this function? Is is supposed to include a soaking period?

I know I can just use manual to cook everything, but since all those extra functions are there I want to figure them out. Anyone used the other functions? I would love to know how you use them, and what you use them for.

Thanks!

erica
    Participant

I figured out that only the more function includes the soaking.

Anonymous
    Participant

I don’t have an instapot, but I had a read of the manual.
    By my reading, multigrain less and standard do NOT include a soaking phase so the 20 min cook is just 20 min cook at high pressure. I conclude this as the manual makes a point of saying that the “more” setting does include a soak. If the others included soaking time the manual would be worded differently. This 20min and no soak agrees with the time and pressure that Kuhn Rikon recommend for brown rice, so my guess is that it should work out well.

The advantage I see for the multigrain setting is that it gives a two button set and forget option for cooking brown rice.

How did it turn out?

erica
    Participant

The rice turned out a bit sticky (I used 1 cup rice and 1 1/4 cups water) which wasn’t what I was going for. It was better when I used the manual setting, so I will stick with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.