home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Official: Australia is in Europe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

For the first time ever, Australia has been granted a competition spot in the Eurovision Song Contest. As entries are restricted to European countries, it follows that Australia is in Europe. Right?
    http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/11/australia-compete-eurovision-2015-grand-final
    Actually I think it is the first time ANY non european country has been allowed to enter. I blame Julia Zemiro.

Not only that, but we have been granted a guaranteed spot in the final. That is normally only a perk for the big five.

It also means we get to vote for the very first time. Bribes for your pet country are now open. That’s how the voting works right? ;)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Not surprised. The organizers just probably think Aussies are Brits.

Having lived in California for 25 years (which is a hotpot of Asian cultures) I’m very aware of all the differences between Asian cultures, history, cuisine, etc. But in Europe, anyone that looks like they’re remotely Asian is labelled Chinese. The proliferation of Chinese Food/Sushi restaurants just reinforces this mis-identification. Just like anyone who looks remotely Arab is labeled “Moroccan”.

So, since Aussies speak English, you must be “English”. ; )

For all of the intelligenze stored in the universities of Europe they extremely illiterate about anything “New World” or “Other World”.

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

Dare I mention that Sushi is Japanese not Chinese. :P Not that it really matters. Here most Japanese restaurants are run by Koreans anyway.

And last time I was in the US people kept asking me what language I spoke.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Exactly my point. I’ve only seen these “blended” restaurants in Europe. I don’t think they exist anywhere else. Only someone who has travelled, or lives, OUTSIDE of Europe would realize how absurd they are.

Ciao,

L

Jonilyn
    Participant

What an interesting topic. When I travel in the US, most assume I’m British, though I’m Canadian. Must be a former colony thing.

Regards…..Jonilyn.

Anonymous
    Participant

Actually “blended” restaurants can be found here. Just not Chinese/Japanese.
    Malay/Chinese are quite common. As are Japanese/Korean.

And yesterday, I went to a “Mediterranean” restaurant which was a blend of Greek/Italian with a few oddities like “Surf & Turf” thrown in. No sign of Spanish, Middle Eastern, French, Egyptian, Moroccan or other North African cuisines though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.