home Forums Pressure Cookers Fagor Oiling the gasket?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    coral
    Participant

I’m new to pressure cooking, so forgive my possibly silly question…

How much oil should I have to put on a stove-top PC gasket before each use?

I’ve been having trouble getting my new Fagor Duo PC to get to pressure at all. With a bit of experimenting I have discovered that if I oil the gasket really heavily (until the oil is starting to drip off) then it will reach pressure, otherwise it won’t at all and will just leak a lot of steam continuously around the handle/control area.

I would assume I shouldn’t need to oil it that much? But as I have no previous experience with PCing I don’t really know.

Would appreciate any advice – am pretty much clueless here! lol

TIA :)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Coral,

According to Fagor’s manual, the gasket should be oiled after washing before storage, not for the cooker to reach pressure.

It sounds like the gasket may need to be replaced. Gaskets, and other rubber/silicone parts need to be replaced approximately every 18 months.

Few know that the gaskets age even while they are NOT being used – so if this is a brand new cooker you will want to tell the store where you purchased it that the gasket is defective. If you’ve had the pressure cooker for a while – then replacing the gasket is just regular pressure cooker maintenance.

In the meantime, just wet your finger with water and drag it around the edge of the gasket before each use. That will help with the seal until you can get a new gasket.

Ciao,

L

coral
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply, Laura :)

Yes it is a brand new PC. I have emailed the store I purchased it from to let them know the problem.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
    Participant

I own a Fagor pressure cooker. It’s normal to see a small amount of steam, water or bubbles sometimes appear around the upper handle during cooking, but not continuously non-stop. Regularly clean the vent pipe (the part on which the dial sits) with a pipe cleaner – you’ll be surprised how much dirt it collects! Remove the dial first by lifting it about 1/4 inch and turning left, then lift off and clean that under hot running water; put it back on facing left, then turn it clockwise to the “steam cloud” picture.

To oil the gasket, apply vegetable oil sparingly on both sides of the gasket, when needed – ie when the gasket starts to feel “dry”. Never use petroleum jelly or anything else, just vegetable oil.

Hope that helps? :)

Nate68
    Participant

If your PC is spurting vapors and steam continually, there is a chance you have the heat too high or you have overloaded the pan. Check to see if the gasket is seated properly and the pan is not overfilled. If it is, then bring it to pressure and turn the heat down when the button pops up. There may be some steaming and spurting at this time. Continue to lower the heat until the pan settles in and stops spurting.

I teach pressure cooking classes and highly recommend the Fagor line. It is reasonably priced and very solid. I have used and purchased dozens of Fagors and have never had any problem with the gaskets. I do give a very light oiling after I wash the gasket, to keep it flexible.

Hope this helps.

“KEEP THE PRESSURE ON! ”

Nate (a curmudgeon under pressure)

Anonymous
    Participant

The Fagor (and other pressure cookers like it) should emit a gentle flow of steam from the valve throughout the cooking time. If no steam is flowing from the valve (dial), it’s a sign that the heat has been lowered too much and the recipe could be undercooked.

The yellow pop-up only indicates there is pressure inside the pan, but it does not show that the pan is up to full cooking pressure; only steam flowing from the dial on “1” or “2” shows the pan is up to cooking pressure – i.e. low and high pressure respectively.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have had success using a food grade silicone grease. I apply a thin coat whenever the lid offers increasing resistance on closing. I have Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers.

Anonymous
    Participant

Modern pressure cookers use silicone gaskets instead of rubber, since silicone is heat resistant up to about +200C and it should stay “slippery” for longer than rubber.

I always oil the gasket lightly with vegetable oil when it feels dry. Use a pastry brush to smear the gasket on both sides with the vegetable oil. I don’t use olive oil because it won’t stay on the gasket for long; the heat of pressure cooking seems to vaporise the olive oil quickly.

Yes the oil can make the gasket smell, but that does not bother me. Since learning this trick, I have never had problems with steam leaking from the underside of the lid, the lid never gets jammed by the gasket and there’s no resistance when turning the lid. Before I discovered this trick I used to experience all them problems!

Remember to oil the gasket sparingly with vegetable oil on both sides, when the gasket feels dry. If you apply lots of oil thickly, the gasket may not seal properly, causing problems like steam hissing-out from the sides of the lid – I know from experience. Even a small wisp of steam escaping from the sides of the lid will stop the cooker from reaching pressure.

suebee
    Participant

Just adding my .02¢ on the topic.

I live in Las Vegas, where our high temps this summer were above 120º While I do make it a point of greasing my gaskets every few uses I do not use oil. Instead I’ve been using ordinary Crisco. Works well for me and doesn’t smell at all.

And just a little stretch on the topic is that I also lightly oil my non-stick frying pans as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.