home Forums Request Line One cooking time for all vegetables

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

Regular readers will know that I’ve successfully managed to cook different veg and potatoes in the pressure cooker (pc), all together for one cooking time. I believe most vegetables can be cooked together or cooked alone for one set time at low pressure. I did recommend 3 minutes at low pressure, but I find that 4 minutes is just right, in a stovetop pc – using normal release.

No need to remember a long list of different times for veg, just one time at low pressure. Longer-cooking veg are cut smaller than usual. For instance brussels sprouts I cut down much smaller than their original size. Put potato chunks at the bottom, half their height in cold water (any potatoes higher up not in water, cut them smaller), add other veg in a metal basket for steaming. Wet the potatoes first, to stop them going brown from exposure to air.

This idea won’t work for veg like cabbage, but almost everything I’ve tried has worked. Most of the time you can do all your veg in the pc and occasionally use a different pan for cabbage, spinach etc which won’t fit. If you have a stovetop pc (without a non-stick inside), you can mash your potatoes in the pan (heat it first), cuts down on washing up.

Yes one cooking time, all veg, simple and easy, you will use the pc even more! I would like to see this idea tested. Got to be easier than remembering lots of different cooking times and it’s so convenient.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi David, I’m glad you developed your pressure cooking short-hand for veggies and have found the sizes to cut them in to cook them together!

From when I’m away from the cooking time chart I figure almost any veggie 5 minutes or less with normal release (potatoes excepted), almost any soaked bean 10 minutes with natural release (chickpeas excepted), almost any roast 20 minutes with natural release (depends on size), any ground meat 5 minutes with any release (depends on the recipe). Then there are formulas and low pressure for fish and pasta and risotto which I have memorized. ; )

Would love to hear how others have adapted their cooking times and techniques with experience – and endless patience!!!

Ciao,

L

Annette
    Participant

With me, it’s (somewhat informed) trial and error, quite scrupulously documented in an alphabetized file on my tablet. (Would a list taped to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets do the same thing? Indeed yes – but it wouldn’t be as much FUN now, would it?)
    I’ve pretty much given up on chickpeas, now that good canned ones are available cheaply – which is ironic because chickpeas were the main reason I bought my first induction-stove-friendly pressure cooker a few years ago. (“Hummus every week – yay!”) Ah, frustration tolerance – a useful skill for chickpea-cooking…

Anonymous
    Participant

I’ve been very successful so far. I cannot remember a long list of different times for different veg, so I cook them all together. I have learnt that potatoes must be cubed, not too big and water no more than halfway up their height, as this keeps them intact. Any longer-cooking veg cut smaller. It works and it’s a huge time saver. I don’t mind serving smaller sized potatoes, but 99% of the time I mash them, I love mashed potatoes.

I think everyone should try this. Yes Laura, one cooking time to memorise is easier. :)

Anonymous
    Participant

Why not try this?

Dave
    Participant

I’m pleased to say this method is still working great!

Used diced potatoes – they won’t break into a zillion bits if the water level covers the potatoes – leaving just the tips of a few above the water level. Start with cold water, run the tap to get the water cold. If you can’t fit all the potatoes on the bottom layer, put the smaller ones above (the bigger chunks must be in the water, as they cook faster in the water).

Add a basket of fresh veg above (supported on a metal trivet). Cut the longer-cooking veg e.g. carrots smaller.

Cook at 5 minutes at low (~8 psi) pressure, then release normally.

You can cook all your veggies this way, even without potatoes. If you’re cooking asparagus, wrap the thinner ends in foil, leaving the thicker ends unwrapped, this will avoid overcooked asparagus but still cook the thicker ends properly, works every time.

I’m hoping everyone will try this out. Rather than memorising different times for different veg, try this method and you only have to remember ONE cooking time – 5 minutes at LOW pressure. The only catch is it won’t work if your pressure cooker only offers “high” pressure, unless you try this for 2 or 3 minutes at high pressure, but delicate veggies like broccoli can easily overcook!

Dave
    Participant

If your pressure cooker only offers “high” pressure (13 – 15 psi), this same method will work. Diced potatoes, swede etc in the water and a basket of veg placed on top.

For delicate veg, cut them much bigger, for harder (root) veg, cut them smaller. Wrap asparagus tips in foil.

High pressure for THREE minutes, then release normally by turning the valve, lifting the weight etc. The veg will be very hot afterwards, let them cool a bit if you plan to keep them warm to avoid them becoming too soft.

The vegetables will be cooked a bit softer at HIGH pressure, so if you like your veg al-dente, this method won’t work for you – instead you could try LOW pressure for FIVE minutes and release normally.

I think the veg tastes better cooked at HIGH pressure and their colours a little bolder e.g. carrots compared to LOW pressure. I prefer softer veg, easier to digest.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.