home Forums Recipe Swap Pasta with natural release?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gulugu
    Participant

Hello everybody, new poster, old lurker =D.

I have been cooking pasta on an old stovetop PC, using Laura’s method (but with water, not sauce); always worked very well, but splattered quite a bit when releasing steam (more or less, depending I think on brand of pasta and quantity of water).

Now I bought an Instant Pot; when releasing steam on the pure water test run, it went up like a geyser — it’s much more powerful than my old PC. So I’m quite scared that if I cook pasta there, it will make a huge mess when releasing steam.

Did anyone try cooking pasta for less than half the package time and releasing with the 10-minute technique? any idea?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Gulugu, the main reason the pasta water is spraying out during the pressure release is that there is too much water. I don’t know what method you are following, but mine calls for just-covering the pasta in liquid. This ensures that most, if not all, of the liquid, is absorbed by the pasta itself so there is no liquid left to spray out.

For half a package of pasta, and with most pressure cookers, you should still meet your cooker’s minimum liquid requirements. Here’s a little inside info: even less minimum liquid is required for cooking at low pressure as the venting time before the cooker reaches pressure is reduced. I can’t tell you how much as I have not measured it – it’s just something I have noticed with experience (so it’s OK to push the boundary)

You could definitely try the 10-minute release but even if you pressure cook the pasta for 1 minute at low pressure there is still a very large risk that it could be over-done.

Ciao,

L

gulugu
    Participant

Thank’you Laura,
    Actually I’m already following your method, and using as little water as I can, yet it sprays like mad. I suspect either:
    – the type of pasta; I don’t use those industrial pastas dried at 100ºC+, so this might be a factor
    – the PC; it’s a cheap 2nd generation PC

Well, I guess I’ll have to try with the IP and see what happens. I’m waiting a few days so that I get a bit of confidence using it. I already noticed that it cooks quite more strongly than my old PC at the same pressure level and time.

Maybe I’ll try to do 1 minute less cooking and wait a minute before release.

Anyway, I’ll definitely report back.

gulugu
    Participant

Great success!

IP Duo 60. 120g pasta, 420 ml water (I plan on using 400 ml next time). Half the package time, minus one minute (3 min), at low pressure. When done, wait 1 minute, then release gently. Overall, from when I closed the lid to when I sit down to eat, 14 minutes passed.

There was no splatter. Moreover, the inside of the lid was almost clean, just some specks of amid here and there. Roughly 50-100 ml of water were left in the pot.

I’m extremely satisfied with this performance, which is much better than with my previous stovetop PC, and obviously incomparably better than the traditional technique (it was always heartbreaking to waste all those liters of water).

Now I’ll have to try it with bigger quantities, but I’m confident that I’ll be satisfied yet again.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Fantastic! Thanks for reporting back and I’m glad you’ve gotten great results.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.