home Forums Problems or Issues Pot in Pot Problem

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Leon
    Participant

I am having a problem with the stackable pots in the instant pot. Previously, I prepared a recipe with chicken thighs and cooking sauce in the bottom of instant pot. Then I placed a tall trivet over the chicken and an open pot of rice/water. Cooked for 10 minutes with 10 minute release. Chicken and rice cooked perfectly. Then I did the same thing using the stackable pots. I put water in the IP liner then the stackable pots with chicken and sauce in bottom and rice on top. Neither the chicken or the rice was cooked. I’ve tried it several times with the same results. Any ideas? Does PIP cooking with stacked pots require additional time? The stacked pots are intended for this purpose and no other Amazon purchaser mentions this problem.

Greg
    Participant

Pot in pot is inevitably slower than direct cooking as the food is not in direct contact with the base of the pot where the element is. Basically, the steam form the bottom has to heat the pot above it, and that naturally takes time.

But something more seems to be going on here. You specify you use an open pot with your old method, but do not mention it in the new. To me that is saying that the new pots stack neatly so the second pot effectively becomes a lid for the first and so on. This will slow down cooking as you are preventing the steam from getting to the food, and a lot of the heat transfer comes from the steam. This will slow down cooking quite a bit. This is why Laura advises against using a foil cover for many of her recipes where you might think one is warranted. She basically uses foil when she wants to slow cooking down. For example when she is cooking two different things in the same pot that require different cooking times. She also uses phased cooking to the same effect, but that is more fiddly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.