home Forums Pressure Canning Pressure canning rice

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jess A. Davis 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Bob G.
    Participant

Hello
    I would like to pressure can 1 pint or smaller jars with small amounts of chicken and rice or beans to be used on camping and hurricane get away times.(Hurricane evacuations)
    Thank You

Bob G.

swtgran
    Participant

Rice cannot be canned, but the chicken or beans can be pressure canned for 75 min. in a pressure canner, not cooker. Quarts take 90 minutes and you must use the correct pressure for your altitude.

Rice can be cooked, then dehydrated to give you a minute rice that can be added to your beans or chicken at your campsite.

I have even pressure cooked beans and dehydrated them to be rehydrated while camping. These can be mixed with the dried rice along with some spices, and are quite good. No need to worry about jars that way.

I do can a lot of bean soup and different meats, that I often pack to take camping. terry r.

Elizabeth hardwick
    Participant

I have been canning rice for my husband to take on hunting trips for about 10 years, have never had a problem with it. Only variables are if using basmati rice instead of just long grain.

Attachments:
    1. Canning-Rice.docx

Elizabeth hardwick
    Participant

Pint Jars
    2/3 cup brown rice (a little less actually)
    Fill with water to 1/4 inch BELOW the inch line
    Allow canner to vent 7 minutes before putting on the weight.
    15lbs pressure for 17 minutes.

I do this with white rice for my husband’s hunting trips, have been doing this for about 10 years now. 15lbs pressure assures that your canner and the goods inside reach 250 degrees F. Commercial canneries can their low acid foods at 250 degrees for over 3 minutes to kill botulism. That’s right… 3 minutes. :)

Normally cooking brown rice takes 40 minutes to simmer, while white rice takes 20 minutes.

I felt quite safe canning my white rice for 8 minutes at 15lbs pressure.
    • vent 7 minutes
    • apply pet cock
    • raise to 15 psi. I always use 15 psi for Canning
    • cook for 17 minutes
    • turn off heat

When the jars come out of the canner after the pressure has released naturally, leave them to get cold, about 12 hours or overnight. Check them over extremely well. Be sure to discard any that are not right.

135g seems to be the magic number with grains and legumes, for a 500ml / 1 US pint jar.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Terry and Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your experience!

Ciao,

L

swtgran
    Participant

Elizabeth, thanks, good to know canning rice can be done safely. I have never tried it because of all the cautions against it, such as the information below.

“There is not a research tested recipe for safely canning chicken noodle soup at home. You can can chicken in broth and then add noodles when you open the jar, but it is not recommended to can soups containing noodles, rice and pasta. The problem is that with home pressure canners we can not get the heat penetration into thick soups containing noodles, rice and pasta to ensure a safe product. Food manufacturers are able to do so with high temperature/pressure retort sterilization machines, but we do not have the capability for doing some foods, like chicken noodles soup, safely at home.

For research tested information on canning soups, I suggest you check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation website: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

I am such a chicken when it comes to canning. I have dehydrated cooked rice to make my own “minute rice”, both brown and white. I can soup, then throw in some of the dehydrated rice while heating the canned soup to prepare it for eating. Same with adding it to my canned beans.

Do you need to use the canned brown rice relatively quickly or does this method preserve it for longer that the raw brown rice lasts? What has been you experience with the shelf life?

I know with dehydrating the cooked brown rice, the quality diminishes as quickly as it would have, leaving it raw. It is just nice to be able to add boiling water and be done, on those hectic nights.

terry

Ted
    Participant

CAUTION, Elizabeth hardwick’s recipe for canning rice may NOT kill C. botulinum.

Commercial canning use a point system (F-values) for heat treatment to assure the contents of a can are sterile. The minimum points are 4.0 for storage below 25c/77f and 12.0 for storage up to 40c/104f.
    Ref. http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/ai407e22.htm

Following Elizabeth hardwick’s recipe exactly, except with my pressure canner set to 122c/251.6f, about 16 psi. I took temperature readings from the center of the pint jar, in the cold spot, during cooking and got the following results.
    It took 35 minutes cooking at 122c/252f for the center of jar of rice to reach 121c/250f
    Note Results summarized, actual times where taken of each 1 degree change. c.o.j = Center of jar

Vent 7 minutes, c.o.j
    = 87c/188.6f
    Reach 122c/251.6f , c.o.j
    = 106c/222.8f
    10 minutes at 122c, c.o.j
    = 111c/231.8f
    15 minutes at 122c , c.o.j
    = 113c/235.4f
    17 minutes at 122c, c.o.j
    = 115c/239f
    Cool down
    2 minutes, c.o.j
    = 114c/237.2f
    3 minutes , c.o.j
    = 112c/233.6f
    5 minutes , c.o.j
    = 109c/228.2f
    7 minutes, c.o.j
    = 106c/222.8f
    9 minutes, c.o.j
    = 104c/219.2f
    11 minutes, c.o.j
    = 102c/215.6f

The total points (F-values ) from my test where approximately 2.5 which is far less than required to reach minimal safety in sterilization.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ted, thanks for posting a warning and sharing that link.

What equipment did you use to take the cold-spot temperature?

Thanks,

L

Ted
    Participant

As I work for a canning company I was able to get a 16 pint weighted style pressure canner professionally modified for my purposes. Along with a custom adjustable weight It has a pressure gauge as well as two digital thermometers, one reads the internal vapour temperature of the canner and the sensor of the other can be placed anywhere inside product being canned. Once a recipe has been made the thermometers are removed and the canner is used as regular in a batch process.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I have eaten canned rice bought in the store, but am wondering about the practicality of canning your own.
    Rice is available in many forms, including shelf stable vac packed. And while a few are pricey most are pretty cheap. And there are no additives in the ones I have bought. Not as good as fresh cooked rice but maybe that is just me.

And dehydrating my own rice seems a bit bizarre as I can buy Instant Rice if I am ever so inclined. Pretty sure mine wouldn’t be better or cheaper.

As to the dangers of botulism, the best defense, is to smell your canned food before eating it even if you bought it.

I am not advocating ignoring the warnings, merely saying that most cases of botulism, at least the ones reported in the recent warnings have come from commercial canners and people who think just putting food in a canning jar is good enough. None have been reported from canning in a pressure canner or pressure cooker. This is from original of the badly misquoted and edited PubMed article used by the NCHFP. Still that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

I would just look at the rice products available, dried, instant, boil in the bag etc. and wonder if it is worth making your own. And of course, for emergencies, the longer you store canned food the more unstable it can become.

Ted
    Participant

Hi Helen, I think shop bought canned rice would be the best and safest option.
    I only canned the rice because I told about this recipe that clammed it was safe.
    Knowing from experience high density, low acid foods are very difficult and a big no for home canning, I knew I could produce the results to prove why it has been stated not to can rice or thickeners and warn people with the educated facts.
    I agree you hear very little about botulism in recent years but C. botulinum spores are very real and as my storage temperatures in summer months are in the mid 30c/86f I treat every can as if it contains the hi temp resistant pathogens prior canning, so I have absolute minimal chances of contaminated food, safe for up to four years storage.

note.It has been reported that only 0.00003 milligram of the neurotoxin released by Clostridium botulinum can induce a drastic effect (Sebaihia et al. 2007).
    At such small levels that can kill you, it is NOT possible to detect in food by taste, smell or visually.
    If in doubt throw it out.
    I always try to reheat canned food for a minimum of 5 minutes above 65c/149f if present, the neurotoxin of Clostridium botulinum breaks down at this temperature.

The only deadly snake is the one that just bit you.

Allyson
    Participant

“As to the dangers of botulism, the best defense, is to smell your canned food before eating it even if you bought it.”
    I want to add something important here to this discussion. Botulism does not necessarily cause any change in taste or smell to a product and you cannot rely on a bulging can to let you know it is dangerous. Your only guarantee of safety is if you have used safe canning practices to begin with. It is not worth taking chances.
    See: http://www.cdc.gov/features/homecanning/

HelenAdams
    Participant

Interesting article. I had no idea that one in 5 US households even had a garden, never mind canned their own food.
    I agree about taking chances, although 1 case per 10 million people is pretty rare. And with a fatality rate of 4% that is one death per 40 million unless you live in Alaska, Idaho, Washington, or Oregon where it is possibly about 1 death in 5 million.

More disturbing is that 9% of the outbreaks are from commercially canned foods and 9% from restaurant meals. And then there are the baked potatoes. Oh well.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

Globally, botulism is fairly rare.[2] In the United States, for example, an average of 145 cases are reported each year. Of these, roughly 65% are infant botulism, 20% are wound botulism, and 15% are foodborne.[36] Infant botulism is predominantly sporadic and not associated with epidemics, but great geographic variability exists. From 1974 to 1996, for example, 47.2% of all infant botulism cases reported in the U.S. occurred in California.[36]

Between 1990 and 2000, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 263 individual foodborne cases from 160 botulism events in the United States with a case-fatality rate of 4%. Thirty-nine percent (103 cases and 58 events) occurred in Alaska, all of which were attributable to traditional Alaska aboriginal foods. In the lower 49 states, home-canned food was implicated in 70 (91%) events with canned asparagus being the most numerous cause. Two restaurant-associated outbreaks affected 25 persons. The median number of cases per year was 23 (range 17–43), the median number of events per year was 14 (range 9–24). The highest incidence rates occurred in Alaska, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. All other states had an incidence rate of 1 case per ten million people or less.[37]

BTW I was totally wrong about the smell thing being absolute proof. My apologies.

Jess A. Davis
    Participant

Hi, the times I’m reading above in the testing is far less time that I do my other low acid foods like chili. So, if you can it for longer than the penetration is far greater… does this sound right to you?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.