home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! pressure cooker – low and wide vs tall and slim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jannn
    Participant

Hey!

I searched a lot for the following on the internet, but couldn’t find the answer.
    Here it is (sorry, no native english speaker) :
    What is the advantage of a low and wide stove top pressure cooker over a taller one?

For example these ones
    – low and wide
    taller

I’m thinking about going for the low and wide one, but maybe there is an advantage in going taller?
    You guys have any idea? :)

Thanks a lot!

Warm greetings!

Suzanne
    Participant

Jan,

Taller: Better for double decker recipes, such as curry in the bottom of the pan with rice in a bowl on a trivet on top. Or a roast on the bottom with a steamer basket of potatoes on top of it. Fine for stocks, soups, grains, beans or veg such as squash or root veg all piled up. Good for anything you don’t need a large surface for browning or big sautes.

Low and wide: Useful if you need a bigger browning surface such as for browning big chunks of meat or sauteing bigger amounts. But will work best if your burner is not much smaller than the bottom heating surface. A pan that sticks out from the burner too far — say more than an inch — the outer periphery of the bottom surface will not brown as fast as the area with the burner directly beneath it. Just an FYI. It will do all of what the taller cooker will do, just may not have the vertical space for double decker cooking. Also, in the KR brand, the wider ones cost more.

Hope this helps.

Greg
    Participant

I have both. My short and wide gets much more use than my tall and slim. But when I need the extra headroom, tall and slim can’t be beat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.