home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Pressure Oven

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HelenAdams
    Participant

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond today and saw a Wolfgang Puck pressure oven.
    Apparently these have been out for a while and get mostly rave reviews on Amazon.

Cooks with or without pressure, and will brown your 13 lb. Turkey as well as pressure cooking it. And make toast as well.

Not unreasonably priced as these things go, $215 CAD with 20% of coupon.

Anyone tried one?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I’d love to hear what people think about it, too. I don’t have one but I researched it and found out that it reaches 1psi. I think it would be a good investment if you’re looking for a toaster oven, anyway, and then have the additional feature of having more of a “wet” cooking from it. But the actual temperature of the food while at pressure is just a few degrees higher than conventional cooking.

I left a comment with my findings on amazon – and then was down-voted into oblivion and links in my comment to the chart pressure/temperature chart removed.
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DG41EL73FZ15/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

BTW, while doing my research I contacted the company and offered to review a sample of this oven – this would have invovled testing the internal temperature with my professional equipment and the opportunity to completely change my mind about the speed of pressure cooking at 1psi. They declined.

For now, my opinion stands that while under pressure you’re likely not going to get any more benefits from this oven than cooking in a tightly closed oven braiser.

So add me to the list of people who would like to hear from those of you who actually have this oven and have experienced the claimed 70% time savings the oven advertises.

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

it reaches 1psi.

ROFL

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

P.S. Thanks to the support of the readers of this website (clicking on amazon links, sharing the website on social media), I no longer have to wait for manufacturers to send me a free sample to testing. I’ve got a small budget and I was able to spend it on a popular pressure product. Although I did not order a pressure oven, I just placed an order for another popular pressure product that I plan to test soon and disclose this summer. : )

HelenAdams
    Participant

The thing that appeals to me is browning while ‘pressure cooking’, the fairly large capacity compared to most countertop convection type ovens, and the sealed environment.

The vast majority of reviews seem to be very favourable. I am notorious for never having the turkey done on schedule. Most reviewers that have done the turkey say it takes 15 minutes longer than advertised, but still only an hour and 15 minutes for a 13 lb. turkey that is supposedly nicely browned and moist seems quite good.
    And it is built like a tank, and cheaper than the good quality oven braisers I have looked at. Can’t say I care about the 1 PSI if it works as advertised.

If I didn’t have way too many new cooking devices I would be sorely tempted to buy one right now, especially as Bed Bath and Beyond is close by and has an extremely good return policy.

It about the same footprint as my countertop convection toaster oven but has a bigger capacity. Maybe when it is turkey time again.

agent00F
    Participant

I also posted this to the Amazon review:

In lieu of all this he said she said nonsense, a likely theory of how this oven can cook faster is that it seals in evaporated water and the resulting humidity increases the wet-bulb temperature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature

It’s the same principle behind commercial combi ovens, which control for humidity inside. However since this one doesn’t have a sophisticated vapor-generating system, it rather depends on what the food puts out, which the user can help along by placing a water tray inside. That won’t be the same thing and no real control is possible, but it will increase the oven’s efficacy for dryer foods.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.