home Forums Problems or Issues Prestige gaskets

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ric2013
    Participant

Hi. Here, in the UK, Prestige used to make some top quality cookers and spare parts are still available.

Trouble I am having is the quality of these parts do not, in my opinion, compare at all well with the originals. Given my cooker is now 26 years old, I expect many owners of similar age products now expect some leakage, or are too deaf to hear the leak, but I am young, and my cooker spent most of its life in a cupboard until I inherited it and I know it works perfectly well… when I can get decent gaskets!

The GENUINE Prestige gaskets seem to be roughly finished and I think this is what is causing a small amount of leakage even with new gaskets.

I wonder whether anyone else reading this has had the same problem? Anyone on here use Prestige?

Anonymous
    Participant

I live in the UK too. I’ve seen Prestige gaskets sold in many stores, but I can’t help wondering if Prestige pressure cookers and spare parts (including gaskets) are made in the far East?

You could try smearing the gasket on both sides with vegetable oil – apply sparingly with a pastry brush. I find this cures all the problems, provided the gasket is not damaged anywhere. The gasket will slightly discolour and may smell after use, but it’s better to have a gasket that seals properly and stops the lid getting stuck. Don’t use olive oil – it doesn’t work and it leaves a horrible layer on the gasket. NEVER use petroleum jelly e.g. Vaseline, as this leaves the gasket dry and tough, stopping it from working properly forever.

Reapply the vegetable oil when the gasket feels “dry”. Remember to only apply the vegetable oil sparingly; too much oil will also stop the gasket sealing.

Hope that helps. :-)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ric, this won’t solve you problem, but I just found a nice video on Youtube from someone who’s had the same problem and has tried around five different gasket makes.

He has some good tips on how to get the most use out of your old gasket and stretching other gaskets to fit.

Take a peek here:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.