home Forums Problems or Issues Question about PIP issue

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  alclubb 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

alclubb
    Participant

I made scalloped potatoes using the PIP method. I used a silicone cake pan with slightly taller sides than a regular cake pan. I didn’t think I could cover it well using regular aluminum foil because of the flexible nature of the pan so I used a stainless steel lid that came with a set of dessert insert pans for the pressure cooker. The potatoes came out great but when I took the cake pan out of the pressure cooker I noticed that the lid had suctioned onto the pan. It kept the steam out of the potatoes but I was concerned that it might be dangerous for something to cause a vacuum/suction inside the pressure cooker. Is there any danger?

Ann

Greg
    Participant

No danger that I can see.
    The danger that I can see is if pressure is trapped inside the pan. The fact that the lid had suctioned on indicates that there is a partial vacuum in the pan. The exact opposite of what might be a dangerous situation.

What I think has happened is that the steam released from the cooking potatoes pushed out past the (loose fitting) lid. As the system cooled at the end of cooking, the lid settled and formed a seal using some moisture as a “gasket”. As it cooled further steam inside the now sealed pan condensed, lowering the pressure below the pressure outside, sealing the lid.

If it is difficult to get off, or you just find it disconcerting, simply use foil as the lid. It will keep enough of the moisture out that you won’t ruin the dish, and you won’t get the sealing issue as the foil will deform rather than seal.

alclubb
    Participant

Thank you, Greg. I think what you said about it forming a seal as things cooled down, since I let it do a natural release. I think I would feel more comfortable just using a piece of foil. Thanks for the reassurances.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.