home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat quick cooking vegetables, low VS high pressure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HelenAdams
    Participant

I love spinach, broccoli and cauliflower etc. I find them over cooked even at 1 minute low pressure. I don’t want them al dente, just not completely mushy. And unlike most things they actually seem to have less flavour pressure cooked.
    I can do them on the stove or microwave but I would like to do them in the pressure cooker as well.

Generally I use high pressure or steam. I haven’t found low pressure makes much difference on quick cooking items under 5 minutes.

I would like to try a smaller pressure cooker but find them expensive. Maybe I should put a couple of litres of rocks in the 6 litre ones I have. Well that would be a PITA but there must be something.

gteague
    Participant

i was gonna say, don’t those steam well? i even have a microwave steaming container but i’d have to look up the amount of water and the cooking times to be able to use it.

green giant even makes them in bags you can just toss in the microwave and it steams them. i buy them all the time because it seems healthy if you can get bags without added ingredients.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I do steam them in the microwave or on the stove. While I use frozen peas and corn and broccoli and occasionally steam in the bag, I prefer fresh. Plus fresh is often cheaper and more attractive, the exception being Green Giant peas or corn.

The reasons I want to be able to do them in the pressure cooker are

• I have little stove top/microwave space when cooking a large company meal so marginally less pot juggling.
    • If I have the time /method right I can use the timer on the pressure cooker or induction cooktop to tell me when it is done, so one less thing to keep track of.
    • I often wake up a bit hungry in the middle of the night and strangely enough I want to eat vegetables or occasionally soup. Soup I will usually nuke, but vegetables it seems easier to put them in the instant pot with some water.

The Instant Pot is on my counter, I put in some water and say the spinach and that is all there is besides setting the time. For the stove or microwave, I must get the right pot/container, add the water, maybe bring it to the boil on the stove, or burn myself opening the microwave steamer. Not fun at 1AM when you want to go back to sleep.

The big reason is I am pretty sure it can be done and want to make it so.

gteague
    Participant

well, about a month or so ago laura described a meal she threw together on the fly that involved frozen veggies. i’d have to try to find it again to see if she gave a time.

after reading that i got several bags of frozen veggies without any additives and i cooked stew vegetables. i can’t remember the exact time i used, but they could have used 2-3 minutes less as they were mushy, but not badly so. it is much more convenient than the bags of potatoes i’m been buying that go bad before i’ve used the whole bag. but i hate to not buy enough and run out since the store is so far away.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Yes I understand about the store.

From a link you posted a piece of apple is supposed to keep potatoes from sprouting, and it is important to keep them in a dark place so they don’t go green. Also you can cut away the bad parts unless the whole potato is rotten.

True story about potatoes.
    When I was 10 years old we kept our potatoes in the cellar where the coal furnace was. They bought a 50 lb bag and it was my brother’s and my job to fetch up potatoes for dinner etc. The cellar had a dirt floor and the potatoes sprouted and large healthy potatoes grew from these sprouts. My brother and I brought up these potatoes as the original potatoes in the sack were all shrivelled. Eventually someone discovered and/or acknowledged to themselves what was going on and we were severely beaten. A bit unreasonable as we were 9 and 10 and adults were in the cellar daily to keep the furnace running but no big deal as that was life in 50’s and the potatoes were far superior to the original bag IIRC.

Back on topic: Mostly I nuke, steam/boil/bake the problem veg. But I am stubborn and still think there is a way to pressure cook them without making them so unpleasant that I end up throwing them out.

Anonymous
    Participant

Have you tried steaming them for ZERO minutes? Just bring them to pressure and switching off straight away. I have tried broccoli and cauliflower a few times at 1 minute and yes they are mushy. Very suitably for a 96 yo with no teeth left though. So that method gets repeated here a lot.

Never tried spinach. Blechh!

gteague
    Participant

my smart pc, as the gowise before it, takes from 15-25 minutes to come up to pressure. i’d think that was cooking time too since the heater is going furiously as it climbs the pressure by cranking up the heat.

i haven’t tried the steamer function yet, but it doesn’t use pressure, right? can’t you put in your water and veggies, put it in /steam/ mode, put on the glass lid, and then you could simply lift the lid and poke the stuff until you’re satisfied it’s done to your satisfaction?

loved the potato story btw.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@Greg
    Yes I have tried that with the zero minutes, and they are still overdone with the broccoli etc. Spinach is fine though.
    Reasonably sure I could do it with the induction burner with experimentation. It wouldn’t exactly be pressure cooking as I would set it to stop before it actually reached pressure although pressure would be there.
    I know there are lots of ways to perfectly cook vegetables, but it seems that it should be possible in a pressure cooker.

dcypaa
    Participant

This may sound stupid, but with the IP and using the Steam function, is the valve on Closed or venting. Very few recipes, if any, mention how to set the valve.

dcypaa

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

dcypaa, if a recipe requires pressure the valve should be sealed. If you’re going to do non-pressure steaming then the valve remains open. All of my “steaming” recipes use pressure.

Ciao,

L : )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.