home Forums Recipe Conversions READ THIS: How to request a pressure cooker recipe conversion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Suzanne 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Myself and experienced cooks in this forum are happy to help you convert a favorite recipes to the pressure cooker – sometimes you just need some advice and we can do that.

Before you post your request we ask that:

1. You are familiar with your pressure cooker and pressure cooking. I know the temptation of wanting to pressure cook your favorite recipes FIRST – but pressure cooking is a relatively different cooking method. Usually, if you’ve taken our pressure cooking lessons, by the end you’ll already know enough to convert most recipes on your own.

learn to pressure cook

2. That you run the recipe through the Pressure Cooker Recipe Converter.
    This is a tool I designed because I found I was always going through the same process to convert recipes. This will give you most of the advice you need to convert your recipe except for some tricky combinations (which the converter will let you know about.

The Pressure Cooker Recipe Converter!

3. That you are realistic about a recipe that uses cans & packets. I don’t have any personal experience with pressure cooking cans of condensed soup, canned beans, flavor packets (taco seasonings, salad dressings, soup packets), jars of pasta sauce, frozen cooked meatballs, or other prepared foods. Some of our experienced cooks live all over the world and they many not have the same items available that you do. If your recipe contains any of these “ingredients” please include the ingredient listing for each of these item so we can spot any issues. Most of these items don’t translate well in the pressure cooker – but if possible we will help you find a solution or substitution.

4. That you give credit to the source of the recipe & link if online. Please not whether you wrote the recipe yourself or from what book, magazine, website it was from – if it’s from a website post a link to it, not the contents. As a cookbook author myself I think that if someone was passing around my recipes a link or mention of the cookbook would be included with it.

5. Don’t post and run. If you want myself, or a knowledgeable reader, to convert a recipe for you please state why it’s your favorite, how long you’ve been cooking it and if there are any special dietary needs we need to consider. Most importantly, come back to let us know how the conversion went! Requests with a single link and no other information will not be answered quickly.

Bottom line, we want your pressure cooking to be successful and delicious and if none of the pressure cooker recipes already on this website will do, we’ll help you convert yours.

Ciao,

L

SHARON WEST
    Participant

WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

So…. did you try using the recipe converter?

Ciao,

L

nbozzini
    Participant

I make a rather simple soup using home made turkey or chicken stock, canned white beans or garbanzos, fresh kale, andouille, Italian or kielbasa sausage, potatoes. There’s not really a recipe but it seems like this would be something that would be perfect for a pressure cooker. Normally I cut the sausage into bite size pieces and brown it and then add in the rest of the ingredients and it cooks for maybe 1/2 hr -45 min. How long would I cook it in a pressure cooker?

Suzanne
    Participant

Here’s what I would do.

Start making the soup as you have in the past, browning your sausage.

You could add the beans when you usually do or after pressure cooking, since they are already cooked. They may break down more into the stock if you pressure cook them, but may also absorb some flavorings. While you are testing this recipe, maybe add the beans after cooking? Then you can figure out the timing on your kale and potatoes without worrying about turning the beans to mush.

Add your other ingredients after the sausage is browned, then cook on High. How long you pressure cook the soup depends on how cooked you like your kale and how big you cut your potatoes. Smaller cut potatoes will break down into the soup more with a longer cook time. The kale could be cooked as long as 12 minutes, but I wouldn’t cook it longer. But 12 minutes is a long time for the potatoes. So I’d first try 5 minutes on High with largish cut potatoes. Do an instant release and see if the potatoes are cooked. If the kale is too tough for you, lock the lid and bring pressure up to High for a minute, and check again.

Starting with a shorter cook time allows you to adjust up to find the cook time that suits you. This approach is best because you can always add more cook time, but once the soup is overcooked, there’s no going back.

Once you have your preferred cook time for the potatoes and kale, then you can try adding the beans before cooking, if you like. But once the beans are in, you’ll have to use natural release unless you like the beans broken up a bit. It will be quicker to add them after pressure cooking, because then you can use instant release without breaking up the beans.

Hope this helps. Writing this made me hungry for your soup.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.