home Forums Recipe Swap [RECIPE] Chick peas and spinach (espinicas con garbanzos)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Quantum Libet
    Participant

I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for the pressure cooker.(https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/spinach-and-chickpeas/)

500 g dried chickpeas
    500 g spinach, washed
    796 ml canned whole plum tomatoes, preferably Italian. Turned into a sauce with immersion blender.
    3-5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Lemon juice, to taste

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Cook them in a pressure cooker at high pressure for 20-30 minutes in fresh water to which I added bay leaf, dried onion flakes and about 10 black peppercorns. The water should cover the dried chickpeas by about 7 ml/1/4 inch.

Drain the cooked chickpeas.

Saute in olive oil the garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add vinegar, tomato sauce and chick peas. Cook at high pressure for a maximum of 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let pressure subside naturally. (I find that tomato sauce sticks to the bottom and burns if cooked under pressure for more than 5 minutes. Use your nose as a guide as well as a timer to avoid burning.) Add chopped spinach, and to taste salt, freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

This sounds delicious – how much new water did you add in the pressure cooker?

Ciao,

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.