home Forums Recipe Swap Roasting bones for bone broth – Thoughts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SocalSteve
    Participant

Most bone broth instructions recommend roasting the bones first for improved flavor but they’re starting with uncooked bones. I get my bones from lamb or beef that I’ve pressure cooked for a short time, around 20 minutes, to avoid overcooking the meat, and then save those bones for broth. Would it help to roast these bones too?

Anonymous
    Participant

Roasting bones promotes the Maillard (browning) reaction. This will add extra flavour to your broth.

That said, Pressure cooking is hot enough to add some maillard flavours without the roasting step. You can also get some by searing the bones right in your PC.

So the roasting is not really necessary if you are making the broth in a PC. It is much more necessary using an open pot on the stove.

The only way to be certain is to try both ways and compare. Report back if you do.

SocalSteve
    Participant

Thanks Greg, I’ll make a comparison as soon as I get enough bones for two batches. One more thing, when saving bones in the freezer does freezer burn affect bones as well as meat? I’m never sure if I should do more than just freeze them in a loose plastic bag.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.