home Forums Recipe Conversions Scalloped Potatoes Pot in Pot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alclubb 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jonilyn
    Participant

We, in Canada, call potatoes cooked in a roux sauce Scalloped Potatoes. They are also called Potatoes AU Gratain if cheese is added to mix.

I’ve been searching for a recipe for Scalloped Potatoes for the electric PC. Most just steam sliced potatoes then add creamed sauce and spices and then take the recipe with added sauce to the conventional oven to finish it. TOO MUCH WORK!

I did find one recipe pot in pot that cooked for 38 minutes on high pressure. That times seems excessive. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jonilyn

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The problem is that you can’t “pressure cook” the potatoes in the rue because there just won’t be enough liquid for the cooker to reach pressure. Even if you only added milk or thickened it later the milk will scorch on the base.

So, the only solution is to either to steam and construct -as you found – or to make the whole dish in a separate container and steam that. The problem is that when a container packed with potatoes, cheese and whatever else steaming it is a more indirect cooking method – and it will take longer for the steam to sneak in and cook the slices buried at the bottom of the container than it would to just steam them exposed in a steamer basket.

So, no, 38 minutes does not sound excessive to me when pressure steaming a heat-proof dish packed with potatoes.

If you really want this recipe to be hands-off, why not make it using the Slow Cooker setting, instead?
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/creamy-augratin-potatoes-crockpot-484241#activity-feed

Ciao,

L

Jonilyn
    Participant

Dear Laura:

Thank you for your reply. Also, thank you for the interesting website.

I will be trying the Scalloped potatoes PIP soon. I’ll also do the slow cooker one too. Never used my IP slow cooker feature!

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jonilyn

alclubb
    Participant

I know I am late to this discussion, but I just made scalloped potatoes (au gratin) tonight using the pot in pot method. I sliced the potatoes using my mandolin. I used a silicone cake pan covered with a lid and cooked it for 22 minutes on High with a natural release. Everything worked great and I was very pleased with the result.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.