home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Scotch broth just like Campbell’s.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lee
    Participant

I’m about to make Scotch broth for my wife, which is a soup made from lamb/mutton, barley, and root vegetables. I’m using my new IP DUO60, not “smart”. I’m looking for comments or suggestions of a general sort.

Scotch broth is something my wife remembers with fondness from her childhood, specifically the canned soup made by Campbell’s, which unfortunately is no longer made in the US. I’ve bought Baxter’s and Heinz brands for her, but they’re not nearly as good as Campbell’s, she says. (Campbell’s is still made in Canada, but it’s expensive and difficult to get the Canadian version here in the US.)

Here’s my plan. (1) season two lamb shanks with salt and pepper; brown. (2) follow approximately the recipe Laura gives for bone broth, except stripping off some meat from the shanks after the first cooking of the shanks, to reserve for the final soup. (3) fish out the bones, refrigerate the broth over night and skim the fat. (4) add pearl barley, diced carrots, diced potatoes, the reserved lamb meat, and finish in the IP for 15 minutes.

I’ve consulted my wife about some other plausible additions — onion, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga. I’d like those, but she’s sure she wouldn’t like any of them. Nonetheless, I’m planning to add onion to the broth in step (2) and then fish it out, to remove the evidence.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Greg, what a nice gesture to make your wife’s favorite soup – and the sneaky onion addition is genious! I was curious about the ingredients in her “favorite” soup so I looked for the ingredients. This is what I found..

Mutton Broth, Carrots, Barley, Water, Potatoes, Seasoned Cooked Lamb – Chunked and Formed (Lamb, Water, Salt), Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Salt, Potato Starch, Seasoned Cooked Beef (Beef, Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphate), Mutton Fat, Vegetable Oil, Flavor Blend (Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn and Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, caramel Color), Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Flavoring, Beta Carotene for Color, Dehydrated Parsley, Caramel Color.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=5F8028B0-E10C-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Personally, your additions sound lovely. Perhaps you can mimic the carmel and MSG by using soy sauce instead of salt. It’s never going to be EXACTLY like what she gets out of the can because – frankly what she probably likes are the flavor blend, MSG, Yeast extract and Flavoring. : /

Let us know how it turned out!

Ciao,

L

Greg Lee
    Participant

That’s good idea about soy sauce — I’ll try that. Thanks for looking up the ingredients of Campbell’s Scotch Broth.

I’ve got the broth part made now, and I’m ready to skim fat. But it’s not going that well. The broth doesn’t have enough flavor. I suspect that the 2 lamb shanks I used didn’t have enough bones, or maybe not big enough ones. I’ve got 8 cups of broth. I put in a couple of pinches of “herbes de Provence”, but I can’t taste that.

I’m planning to add some dried potato flakes as thickener, corresponding to “Potato Starch” on the can label, and also because Jamey Oliver has a recipe on the web that says to beat the potatoes with a whisk, to break them up a little.

So I’m going to try to bring the broth flavor up, somehow (soy, fish sauce, Worchestershire, anchovies?) and finish the soup later this morning.

Merry Christmas.

Greg Lee
    Participant

Well, it’s done. I count it as a success. My wife, Pat, said it tasted authentic and was less watery and more meaty than Campbell’s. I asked her whether it was better than Campbell’s, but she didn’t answer. I thought it was okay (but I don’t like Scotch broth, personally).

I did wind up adding soy sauce and Vietnamese fish sauce, at the last stage. I undersalted it at the start, so I had room to maneuver at the end with salty umami enhancers.

In making the broth, after refrigerating it over night and skimming the fat, it was quite gelatinous and seemed to get more flavor. I don’t see why the flavor would improve. I noticed earlier when I made a broth of our leftover Thanksgiving turkey carcass that the broth seemed to get more flavor from being chilled and defatted. Odd.

Rebecca
    Participant

May I add the suggestion of flavoring with Maggi instead of soy sauce? I find it mimics the flavors of the above Campbell’s soup ingredients called, “flavor blend.”

Copied Description: “Maggi” is still synonymous with Maggi-Würze (Maggi seasoning sauce), a dark, soy sauce-type hydrolysed vegetable protein-based condiment sauce.

Your broth may seem better after cooling and refrigerating because it allows time for things like the marrow and collagen to settle in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.