home Forums Pressure Cookers Should I buy a pressure cooker or an air fryer?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tutu10
    Participant

I’m trying to expand my cooking options and I am torn between the two. I’m trying to eat healthier and the air fryer seems to be a better choice but someone recommended that pressure cooking gives you better flavour.. I’m a novice when it comes to cooking. Would be keen to hear from experience cooks.

Greg
    Participant

They do very different things.
    An air fryer uses a dry cooking method. A pressure cooker uses a wet cooking method.

To my mind, an air fryer is much more limiting. I don’t have one, but I do have a deep fryer. I use it maybe once every couple of months. On the other hand, rarely a day goes past when I don’t use my pressure cooker.

Roast – PC: Yes, AF: Yes
    Braise- PC: Yes, AF: No
    Pasta – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Chips (Fries) – PC: No, AF: Yes
    Casserole – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Curry – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Corned Beef – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Tamales – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Frijoles – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Soup – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Christmas Pudding – PC: Yes, AF: No
    Cake – PC:Yes, AF: Not sure. I suspect not.
    Stir Fry – PC: No, AF: No

Have a look at Laura’s PC cookery lessons. They will give you a good idea of what a PC can cook.
    Also don’t be too afraid of fat. It is after all one of the essential food groups. Also, fat is flavour. Beef cooked with lamb fat tastes like lamb. Both Kenji (SeriousEats) and Heston Blumenthal have done many tests along these lines. However, choose your fats carefully. Where possible use natural over refined fats: e.g. Olive Oil over Canola. Also avoid polyunsaturated fats. Butter is actually better for you than any of the polyunsaturated fats. I tend to use EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil) Peanut Oil, ghee (clarified butter) and butter. I avoid EVOO for frying as it breaks down readily with heat. I use butter sparingly when taste is of the essence – e.g. for an omelette. Peanut oil for stir fries and deep frying, and ghee for pretty much everything else.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.