home Forums Cookbook questions, comments and photos Size missing for Braised Chicken

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Being a Mac and iPad user, I opted to buy Hip Pressure Cooking through iBooks. It looks so darn gorgeous on screen (compared to Kindle version–blech). I’ve cooked a few of your recipes this past week and am thrilled that, finally, I found you, a recipe creator who isn’t timid about flavor and/or spice! Yippee! Printed out a copy of your errata list and yikes! There are an uncomfortable number of faux pas within the the book itself. One that wasn’t on your list was this: the Braised Whole Chicken ingredient list does not include chicken. Most confused. Size matters. So, what size bird does this recipe’s timing require? Also, what was with the publisher–why are there no active links in the index? The way the publisher/production artist set it up, I find a recipe in the index list, then go up to the search box and type it in then hit return. Feels clumsy, especially for a e-book.

Anonymous
    Participant

Strange. It’s in the paper edition. Must be an Apple auto-incorrect.
    My copy says “One 3 to 4 pound whole chicken”
    That’s 1.5 – 2kg if like me you are metrically inclined.

EDIT: I just downloaded the sample section and had a look. It seems to be a straight scan of the paper copy. Which would explain no hyperlinks in the index. However it’s not. The heading “Get Hip about soaking” reads “Get Hip about Soaki” i cannot explain what has happened. Perhaps contact Apple for an explanation.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I think it is a publisher problem. I remember Laura going all out to try and get errors corrected. I am almost certain that Apple is not doing the proofreading/scanning but could be wrong. The publisher shouldn’t need to scan but maybe it is easier for them.

Anonymous
    Participant

@Helen,
    You would think if it was the publisher they would have access to the original Word (I assume) document. And it would be a simple matter of sending it to the converter. So there should be no errors not in the paper book. That clearly is not the case. But you are right. On consideration, It is unlikely to be Apple themselves. Perhaps some third party is involved.

It certainly is pretty. But with the errors, it is deeply flawed. Much like Alfa Romeos and Smeg appliances. And don’t get me started on the Alessi juicer. These days I am very suspicious of all Italian products. There seems to be a common theme of style over function which to my mind is backwards. Give me style by all means. But get the functionality right first.

What weight would the chicken be for the recipe BRAISED CHICKEN? The recipe list is missing this important detail.

Anonymous
    Participant

See my first post above for the answer for Braised Whole Chicken.

I am away from my books at the moment so if there is another braised UNwhole chicken in there it will have to wait a while for the answer.

Anonymous
    Participant

Ok. I have checked the book now.
    There is also “Spanish Pimento Braised Chicken”: 6 drumsticks listed. No weight given

There is also “Filipino Chicken Adobo”. : one 5 – 6 pound chicken , cut into 8 pieces

All the other braised chicken recipes are flavour variants of one of the above. Mostly the Braised Whole Chicken.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks, Greg!

Greg and all,

Thanks for your discussions on insights.

Apple does not copyedit.There are merely a storefront. The submitting publisher had set up this gorgeous book to take advantage of the iBooks’ format/design advantages (see screenshot). Seems the proofreaders at St. Martin’s didn’t ensure it was error-free (a Herculean task in any sort of publishing/printing, which, by the way, is my career.) Boo boos happen. Indexes don’t get linked. I appreciate Laura’s errata. That being said, my lesson had been learned. No more e-cookbooks. I’m sticking to print. LOL. Gonna keep the presses rolling and folks employed. :- Can’t wait for Laura’s next book!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

SillyGirlSmartWoman, when I asked the publisher why the index isn’t linked they told me that people can just use “search” in their app. : / They did a TERRIBLE job at translating the book to electronic formats and I’m really sorry for that.

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

Maybe use the people at Inkling next time. I have the ebook of Modernist Cuisine @ Home. And it is amazingly well thought out and implemented. Possibly even better than the paper version. Though I don’t have that so cannot do a direct comparison.

Anonymous
    Participant

I think I may take back the suggestion for Inkling.
    I did a little exploring. Inkling no longer offer MC@H nor are there any links to the ebook on the MC website. A little snooping around did reveal that the her is now a free download of the odd available. I suspect that there has been a falling out.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@Greg
    I am not really familiar with many Italian products. I still suspect the publisher. I know there are several free self publishing products from Apple that are supposed to be good but do not know.

I figured it was the publisher because the Kindle edition is the same?

I love cookbooks and like to read them but I use online recipes more.

Laura, knowing how the business (and suits) works, I’m not at all surprised they didn’t want to link the index. Reduced the man-hours and sped up the production schedule. Regardless of the publisher’s boo-boos, I adore your book. You envision food the way I do…with imagination, quality ingredients and flavor. Bless you!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thank you, SillyGrilSmartWoman!! : )

Please make sure to leave a review on amazon, if you haven’t already.

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

P.S. Don’t forget to mention the flaws in the ipad version. It doesn’t do me any good to encourage you to advertise the problems, but I would rather have someone know before they buy it rather than be disappointed when they purchase the electronic version.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thank you. : )

Ciao,

L

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.