home Forums Recipe Conversions Slower cooker to Instant pot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Laura Pazzaglia 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cangal4413
    Participant

How would I go about converting this slow cooker recipe by “The Recipe Critic” to Instanpoy fast recipe
    INGREDIENTS
    5 slices bacon, finely chopped
    3 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut to 1 inch cubes
    1 cup red cooking wine
    2 cups chicken broth
    ½ cup tomato sauce
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup flour
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 Tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
    5 Medium Carrots, sliced
    1 pound baby potatoes (I used tri color)
    8 ounce fresh mushrooms, sliced
    fresh chopped parsley for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
    In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
    Add the red wine to the skillet scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add chicken broth, and tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
    Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8. Garnish with fresh parley and serve with mashed potatoes if desired.

Greg
    Participant

This looks like a take on the Classic Boeuf Bourgignonne. Try using any “Beef in Red wine” pressure cooker recipes as a guide. Laura has at least one.

1. Toss away the skillet
    2. Fry the bacon in the InstantPot until crisp. Remove to a plate
    3. Brown the beef. I would be inclined to do this in stages. If so, remove the early stages to the plate with the bacon.
    4. While the last batch of beef is still in there, return all the beef and bacon, and stir in and reduce the wine. Don’t use “cooking” wine. Life is too short. Also I would be inclined to only use half a cup.
    5. Cut back the chicken stock to 1 cup. You need 1.5 cups liquid for the pressure cooker, but you have other liquid in there.
    6. Replace the garlic with garlic granules, or double the garlic and just lightly smash the cloves.
    7. cut the carrots into chunks rather than dainty slices.
    8. Use potatoes about 2″ across rather than babies. And try to use waxy spuds rather than floury ones. They will hold up to the pressure cooking better.
    9. Toss everything EXCEPT THE FLOUR into the InstantPot, lock the lid and set it to cook on High pressure for around 15 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally.
    10 Once pressure has come down, lift the lid and make a slurry with the flour and some of the cooking liquid. Stir it all back into the pot and cook (Sauté setting?) it some more while stirring so the flour thickens the gravy.

Cangal4413
    Participant

Thanks so very much for all your help,Greg!
    I really appreciate all the time you took to explain the procedure in such detail. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Greg, that was a PERFECT conversion!!!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.