home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Small capacity pressure cooker options?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sidpost
    Participant

I am recovering from shoulder surgery and I really dislike ladling and scooping out of a narrow tall pressure cooker. In fact, I have a Kuhn Rikon ~7L pressure cooker that is tall and narrow and sent me in search of something else. That’s when I discovered I like WMF Perfect Plus models better.

Now, I am considering a 2.5~3.0L pressure cooker or pressure fryer to reduce the weight and ease the transfer of food to a bowl or platter. What smaller capacity pressure cooker would you get and why? Does the pressure fryer also work as a small pressure cooker (not that I fry much these days).

TIA,
    Sid

Anonymous
    Participant

You need to be careful of your terminology here. There are no domestic pressure fryers. You do not fry under pressure. You fry to sear or soften with the lid off, then put the lid on and complete the cooking as a normal pressure cooker.

That said. I really love my 2.5l Kuhn Rikon. It gets by far the most use of all my pressure cookers (4). It is model number 3347 which is the short handled variant of this one. I use it for cooking pasta, potatoes, stock, risotto, curries, stews, steak, chicken etc etc.

The dimpled base works really well as a low stick surface and actually holds enough liquid for a short cook so you don’t need a trivet. It is light, easy to maneuver food it, and uses ridiculously little gas and water. The perfect size when cooking for two or three. Or even one. I have on occasion managed a meal for four, but I was pushing the envelope.

It only comes unstuck when you try to put a whole chicken in there. Bit hard to get the lid on. Sigh.

However, it is the only small PC I have used so I really cannot offer you a comparison. Others may be even better though that is hard to believe.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I am looking at this one.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-secure-5-neo-pressure-cooker-4-l-1428834p.html
    I would like a smaller one but don’t want to spend $200+ at the moment. Plus I have not been cooking much due to being hospitalized and bedridden with a back problem.

Anyway the price is right at $59.99 CAD (44 USD or 60 AUD) so I might get crazy. Anyone have TFAL pressure cookers who would care to comment or 4 litre pressure cookers?

Jonilyn
    Participant

Hi Helen, it has been a while since I posted anything. Life has been busy. Hope you are on the mend and healing well.

I have a T-Fal Delicio 4.5 L pressure cooker. I love it. It reaches pressure quickly and is great for smaller meals. The one you mention looks to be of the same great quality as the Delicio. $59 is a great deal.

I could never understand why they stopped making the Delicio model. I found mine at a flea market, new for $23. Best $23 I ever spent!

Warmest regards,
    Jonilyn

HelenAdams
    Participant

Hey Jonilyn. Thanks for the info.
    Generally I like T-Fal but have never seen a T-Fal PC and I know you know your pressure cookers. Can’t imagine why I think I need three pressure cookers but it seems like I do:).

Anonymous
    Participant

Clearly to catch up to me. But I am up to four now. :P

Jonilyn
    Participant

OH OH…… I can beat you both! YIKES! I have 5 stovetop models, (not including my stainless jiggle top that I just can’t part with) and 3 electric.

Just bought another 7 in 1 Duo Instant Pot. Found one on sale at “Showcase” a chain store in Canada for $109 CDN. Couldn’t pass that up.

In pleading my case of addiction, I admit that some of the stovetop models serve certain purposes. One is wide for cakes, one is a canner, and the rest just make me damn happy.

Now if I can just stop myself from checking out the T-Fal one Helen mentioned.

Cheers……………..Jonilyn

HelenAdams
    Participant

Got the pressure cooker this AM. I had to return the one I got yesterday as customer service got me the wrong one and I ended up with a 6.5L one. Must have taken extra stupid pills to let that slip by.
    Haven’t actually used it yet but am thinking the roast potatoes or taco soup.
    I am impressed by it’s appearance and feel. And it has a very nice steamer basket. Slightly smaller than the Fagor one it is shinier/sturdier and the handle won’t pop out. Love it.

Jonilyn
    Participant

So glad you got your PC Helen! I went to our local Canadian Tire and had a good look at one. It is a nice little PC. I agree the quality is very good.
    It will be wonderful for small meals. Sometimes less is more.

I managed not to buy it! It is a nice one though! I think I will keep away from Canadian Tire for a while. I still want to give this little PC a good home.

HelenAdams
    Participant

It is plenty big for me these days. I don’t think I have ever actually needed 6 litres. Mostly I cook for one or two. It is lovely IMO and cleans like a charm.
    I only go to Canadian Tire when I am wanting to buy something. Even then it is a dangerous place. When I returned the first one I got customer service to fetch the right one so I would not go through the housewares sections.
    But that said I am usually happy with my purchases there.
    Congratulations on your willpower.

Jonilyn
    Participant

Oooops! Helen, I’ve slipped! Not for the lovely T-Fal but for a 5 piece Kuhn Rikon set on Amazon Canada. It consists of a 5Qt PC and a 2 1/8 Qt PC sauce/fry pan. It also includes a glass lid too. Sale price..$234. 45% off. I couldn’t resist. This is definitely my last PC buy. I have an 8 LT Kuhn Rikon, and it is of such good quality I couldn’t resist this great deal for a small set.

Like many an addict, I think I’ll perhaps stay in denial and blame someone else for my behaviour. Maybe Laura for feeding my addiction with this great website…….not to mention her cookbooks. Yes! Now I have a game plan to break the news to my husband! Laura made me do it. It’s worth a shot😈😈😈

HelenAdams
    Participant

Ouch! Not ouch at you for buying it but ouch at me for not being able to justify buying it at present. Not the cash but the space.
    I have not seen the smaller 2.5 litre for that amount. You are the Canadian bargain pressure cooker expert.

I would perhaps blame Greg as he is(was) the possessor of the most Kuhn Rikons but you have caught up.

HelenAdams
    Participant

PS happy for you and your hubby who is benefiting from your cooking:)

HelenAdams
    Participant

@jonilyn
    Have you used your smaller Kuhn Rikon yet? I have only used my new TFal twice. I have the Instant Pot always on the counter so I don’t need to get it out so it is my first choice currently due to back problems. I really need bigger and better storage:(

Jonilyn
    Participant

Hi Helen:

Just received my Kuhn Rikon set yesterday. It is beautiful. Kuhn Rikon’s quality leaves me speechless. The PCs are gorgeous and the glass cover is a work of art. I love that the 2 sizes in the set round out my collection. I hope to do a small lentil dahl in the 2 qt to use as a base for Vegan Shepard’s pie. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I like that it is about half the size of my 4.5 qt Tefal.

My IP Duo x2 are always in use too. porridge every morning and soups too. They are the stars of my kitchen.

I made the caramelized lemon cake from Laura’s book in my Fagor Cayenne for Easter. It was soooooooo Good.

Today I be cooking mussels in my 8Qt Kuhn Rikon stovetop model. One minute on
    Low and release. Fantastic way to cook them. I’ll do Basmati rice in the IO Duo as a side dish with them. Ahhhhh Life is good.

I have to Spring clean big time to organize my PC collection. My husband built me a wall pantry a few good years ago so that helps. I also have to come to terms with letting go of appliances I’m not using. It is hard to do as I love cooking.

Warmest regards,

Jonilyn.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I totally understand not letting go of kitchen things. I have been working on it but it is painful:)
    Glad your pans are gorgeous and look forward to hearing how you like the small one

Jonilyn
    Participant

Hi Helen:

I used the small Kuhn Rikon PC yesterday for a quick tomato sauce. I sautéed in my best olive oil onions, garlic, red pepper and carrot seasoned with dried parsley, oregano, freshly ground pepper and a piece of 3″ cinnamon stick. I added about 3 cups of canned crushed tomatoes. I cooked it on high pressure for about 4 minutes and let the pressure drop on its own accord. Stirred in some French grey salt. It turned out beautifully. The cinnamon really made it a nice Spring tomato sauce.

So that ended up being my first recipe. Hubby wanted a tomato-based pasta dish to go with the mussels we had yesterday. It was a nice meal.

I will try my Dahl recipe through the week hopefully.

Regards,

Jonilyn

HelenAdams
    Participant

Interesting about the cinnamon stick in the tomato sauce. Might add some the next time.
    Yum mussels. When I was young we dug/collected shellfish all summer. MY dad was a chef in Charlottetown and catered a lot of lobster dinners. Now I have to buy them in the grocery store.
    Never tried the Grey salt but quite keen on smoked salt. not crazy about smoked paprika though.
    I have stopped buying spices because I have still some I haven’t actually used but I always want to try the latest. Pretty sure I have 4 cubic feet and most of them are reasonably fresh. OH well spice-o-holic

Jonilyn
    Participant

Oh Helen, such lovely memories. My Mother was a fantastic cook, so that is where my inspiration to cook comes from.

It breaks my heart that you have to buy lobster In a grocery store. Lobster season starts here May 15th. I can’t wait. Our lobsters are, in my humble opinion, nicer than PEI lobsters. The ocean waters around Cape Breton are much colder and produce a harder shell.

I am Spring cleaning my kitchen. I’m down sizing from gallon jars for grains, beans, rice, etc to 1.5 Litre mason jars to have more room in my pantry. I have to stop buying in bulk. I live 25 miles from the nearest city so it is a habit I’ve developed over the years.

I need the room for my spices. I have so many, and I need them all. I cook a lot of tomato sauces and Indian dishes. My husband is a strict Vegan so I end up cooking dishes from many cultures. I am continually trying different ways to store spices and am still experimenting. This time, it is going to be 125 ml and 250ml mason jars for most of them. Most in the pantry and the ones I use the most in a large wide drawer. I live in hope that I will some day be totally organized.

For some reason I have 3 drawers of cutlery. Tomorrow it is going down to one. I don’t think I will be feeding an army any time soon. I think they must have multiplied on their own. It is so easy to hold on to things and so hard to let go.

Regards,

Jonilyn.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Haha Jonyilyn. I have given up on organization.
    But… I did organize my silverware drawer by buying a very new 8 setting set on sale at Canadian Tire. I was very lucky and had a friend for lunch who said I wish I had more silverware so I gave her most of my mix and match cutlery. I also took everything I wasn’t using from the gadget drawers, extra peelers, openers, and put them in a box in the spare room. Most of this will probably go to her or the Sally Ann. I try to collect a fair amount before I go to the Sally Ann because I am afraid I might buy more than I give away.

I am not getting rid of my spices even though many advocate throwing them out when they are a year old or sooner. Of course they are better fresh in most cases but other than before cooking I cannot tell the difference. Many dishes I make call for 6 or more spices and some call for 3 or more chili pepper types. I like to think I can tell the difference using several kinds of chili but I am pretty sure I could not tell if one of them was dated.

I use those magnetic containers for the spices I use most and have them stuck to the side of the fridge or freezer.

Pressure cookers are definitely the way to go for vegetables and other vegan delights. Hard to believe it is just over a year since I got my first one:) and now I have 3.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.