home Forums Beginner Basics Soup et.al. thickener

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Helpsrunner
    Participant

On page 27 hip Pressure Cooking the group of thickening possibilities does not include arrowroot. For diabetics this is a better option. Therefore, I wonder if there are any problems with using arrowroot in a pressure cooker?

Suzanne
    Participant

@Helps, sorry this comes so late. Laura, this site’s author and expert, has been under the weather, so I’ll give this a shot.

I’ve not tried using arrowroot in a pressure cooker. But generally, anything that thickens a mixture, especially something starchy, will make the mixture more prone to scorching in a pressure cooker. Also, I know from experience that unless the cooking process is quite gentle, arrowroot can cause the sauce to “split.” So I would add this ingredient after pressure cooking and off-heat, maybe even let the sauce cool a bit first.

Good luck. Arrowroot can be tricky.

Suzanne
    Participant

An added note: My concern is that when you open the lid of the PC, the contents will be so hot that the arrowroot will go straight to splitting without ever thickening. So I’d cool the contents to 190-200 degrees F, add the arrowroot slurry, and then heat gently, if necessary, until the mixture thickens.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.