home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat sous vide in electric PC

Viewing 55 posts - 61 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    gteague
    Participant

well, i have no problem justifying purchases (!) but here’s my thinking:

i’ve having great results in the pc so far except for a couple of times when i was attempting to combine too many ingredients in one pot and one unbroken cooking sequence. so i’m thinking i can use the sous vide to do the meat and the pc for the veggies.

also, the one time i tried a good steak in the pc, it wasn’t much of a success. sure, it was edible, but wasn’t the quality to match the meat which was a rib-eye i think. and i like the occasional good cut of meat to break the pattern of only cheap cuts which the pc does so well.

as greg says, this device doesn’t take up much room and would store under a cabinet inside the cooking container. and i doubt i would use it enough for the price of even the best ziploc bags to affect me. and i begrudge the space another device (vacuum sealer) would take up.

you guys are just an invaluable resource, but more expensive than a shrink. you are definitely costing me $$$ although i can’t deny i’m eating better–i could hardly have been eating worse!

/guy

gteague
    Participant

tks greg. i’m going without the sealer for now. and believe you me, i’ve owned some tripods that folded up at a stern glance!

yeah, my gowise cheap electric doesn’t have that temperature setting capability. at least, as far as i can tell from the horrible documentation!

but actually i could play with one just by walking into the kitchen and unboxing mine! i’m still mulling over whether to hope my tech knowledge would help me recognize any potential electrical problems and avoid sending it in. i’m waiting to see how painful or painless they make the process–i’m easily capable of risking electrocution to avoid inconvenience! [g]

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I understand that in the US where the mains voltage is 110V an electric shock is usually just an inconvenience. Here the mains voltage is 240V. A shock is usually lethal.

From reading Laura’s original post I understand that the problem is one of insulation around the temperature probe. I don’t know if that is because of poor choice of materials or simply poor installation in some cases. Or maybe forgetting to maintain the required air gap between low and high voltage on the circuit board. There have been a few deaths here put down to that in aftermarket USB chargers. I do know you will void your warranty if you pull it apart to find out.

gteague
    Participant

i can measure the resistance (insulation property) between the center button and the metal case. but it would have to be measured before every use and wouldn’t account for the heat or something melting the insulation while you’re cooking.

i notice you guys are throwing around the foodsaver brand. found this on amazon and the consensus seems to be that you can use it with regular ziploc bags. it’s cheap enough for an experiment and obviously wouldn’t get a huge amount of use. what do you think?

i’m on there ordering my container. i’m going with the one anova recommended in case i need to calibrate i’ll have their standard to do so.

http://amzn.to/1QbC4kl

gteague
    Participant

btw, it’s the current that kills, not the voltage. but heating elements are some of the highest current devices in the home which is why my electric bill in winter is sky high!

the higher voltage gives opportunity for higher current capacity. when i was in the navy in the dark ages, we had a patch panel where we plugged in radios and associated equipment–it was like the old switchboards where you see the operators plugging in callers to circuits.

anyway, here’s an image of one. the loop jack is only 6vdc but 60ma. 10ma is enough to kill you under the right conditions (wet deck/feet &c). what someone (me included!) would do is plug one end of their cable into the loop jack (the only one with the voltage) and then absent-mindedly stick the other end of the cable into their mouth while they pondered where to plug it in. this happened so often we hardly ever remarked on it unless we had to call a medic!

http://www.virhistory.com/navy/rtty/patch/sb6-gg-02.jpg

and static electricity like you get by combing your hair or rubbing a cat can hit 10,000 volts, yet with virtually no current. when you see those lightning light demos emanating from a central ball (a sort of jacob’s ladder), that’s static electricity, but at those levels you need a suit that grounds you.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

It is not the container they use to calibrate the unit that matters. It is the thermometer that counts. The container looks like it would be useful for cooking in though. My beer cooler is 10 litres, so just a little bigger.

I for one am using the Foodsaver as a generic term. I personally have a Sunbeam branded one. Though it does have the FoodSaver logo on it, so it is probably made under license. I didn’t buy it. My Uncle did then never used it. (He does that a lot!) He gave to me when I expressed interest. I probably would have bought something different.

I have heard some bad stories about the little battery operated units. But I didn’t pay much attention. They may have been brand specific. Still, as you say, it is cheap enough to be worth the experiment. But get Sous Vide capability first.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Interesting about the 240 Volt. My stove is 240 Volt input I think. but my understanding is that the input voltage is stepped down so the shock risk is pretty much the same for household items.

gteague
    Participant

yeah, i think the sealer is to be avoided at this stage of the game. it’ll still be there if i want to try it.

and one good aspect of my coffee-making and photography is that i have nearly a half dozen very good thermometers–both analogue and digital–lying around. so i should be able to at least roughly tell how well the device is doing.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes it is the current that kills, but as you say, the higher the voltage, the higher the current through a given resistance. As i understand it, in most cases 110V is not high enough to break down the natural resistance in the body. But given the right conditions… 240V on the other hand has the right conditions just by dint of its higher voltage.

Also it doesn’t matter what current is flowing through the appliance. It is the current flowing through you that matters.

gteague
    Participant

yep! your physics education has not been wasted or forgotten!

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I think that means that the stove is three phase. They probably use a different phase to each of the burners to balance the load on the grid. If that is the case each element will only have 110V. Here three phase is 415V. Definitely not something to trifle with.

Anonymous
    Participant

It is possible too that they connect the element between the phases. They will get a higher power output that way which would explain why they do it. If you touch ONE of the wires you will only get a 110V shock (Active to ground) If you hold a wire in each hand though, you will get 240V phase to phase. Ouch.

You can check if it is three phases by counting the wires going in.
    Three wires means single phase – Active, Neutral, Ground. It is possible they forget about the ground wire though so there may only be two.

Five wires means three phase – Active1,2,3, Neutral and ground. Again they may forget the ground. And it is also possible they are only using 2 phases. That will be four wires.

gteague
    Participant

you are much more knowledgeable than me on electricity. i have spent most of my life with dc electronics and circuits and 5-24 volts. i had to pass the theory of a/c circuits of course for my radio licenses, but that’s been decades ago and i just remember enough to be dangerous!

gteague
    Participant

i thought i specifically asked shermie at anova whether this thing was shipping from texas or not since i’d know whether any premium shipping method might be necessary and that he answered in the affirmative.

but when i got the tracking notice today it said it’s coming from indiana via usps. but the good news is that they say it will get here by monday–i couldn’t even get that speed from ups or fedex.

the bad news is that amazon is the weak link this time. my 8qt square container won’t be here for a week. but there’s a chance a 5qt oxo bowl i have or my 4qt ss pot in the gowise pc might work until the one they recommended gets here.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. A bloke in the final cook-off to get into MasterChefOz used a Polyscience unit in what looks like about a 3 litre pot. I tried in a two litre pot with the APC. It worked fine. The sliding clamp works a treat for this kind of use. Though I only just got above minimum water level. I was hearing some cavitation noise. And the background commentary on Masterchef indicates he was having some trouble keeping the temperature stable, but it worked well enough to get him a spot in the final 24.
    If you are interested, here is the video. Its about 60 minutes into the episode. Also I am not sure if it is geo-locked or not. Anyway, photos follow:

gteague
    Participant

wow! that is truly a lilliputian container for sure. if that worked and your 2l one worked, i don’t think i’ll have any problems.

and tks for the video link. i watch masterchef canada as well and i wish they’d broadcast your version as well even though i can’t get prawns locally.

oh, and from the docs and forums i’m reading so far, the sv folks are claiming that time barely matters although one guy claimed that fish would get mushy if you left it in too long.

since nearly everyone agrees that fish is tricky in the pressure cooker and inedible in the microwave salmon was the 2nd thing i tried in my pc and i accidently pulled it off! haven’t hazarded it since though and would love to have a good vehicle for fish since seafood is my very favorite protein although by the time it gets to west texas–unless it’s a local fish–it’s a little weary and shopworn.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

The great joy of SV is that it opens that “just cooked” window wide open.

You need to cook for the minimum time for the cut, but you can let it go a lot longer than the minimum with no downside. It will eventually break down the fibre and go mushy, but it won’t overcook. Not sure I would want to eat medium rare mush though. You can even take advantage of the gradual breakdown to create things that are simply not possible any other way. Medium rare, moist, tender stewing steak any one? Takes a couple of days to get there though.

For me salmon steaks went from “now and then and pray I don’t ruin it again” to once a week or so and perfect every time. When I buy them, I bag them individually with a little oil and toss them in the freezer. When I want one (or three) I pull them out and toss them in the hot (50ºC) SV bath still frozen about half an hour before dinner. If dinner gets delayed half an hour. No problem – they are still perfect.

gteague
    Participant

that is excellent news @greg! if it proves true for me the thing will be worth much more than the discounted price i paid in order to have decent fish to eat. the grocery store pre-packages pre-battered fish like cod and halibut at a pretty attractive price. and it’s actually edible after microwaving if you’re careful. but i know so much better is possible and without having to endure some else’s idea of seasoning at that.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

i like my meat very well done and i notice that the medium rare snobs seem to have suppressed recipes that allow for well done cooking times/temps. do you have a formula or algorithm or an offset i could apply to have my steaks come out more cooked?

tks, /guy

gteague
    Participant

it would be fine if there’s a little charcoal in the bag when i’m done. [g]

btw, i was salivating over being able to see all 20 episodes of mc_oz, but i think you’re right about the regional code block. i turned off ad blocker and registered at the site. i’ll see what else i can hack. the bbc site won’t even let you register if they detect an ip (!) address outside the uk.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Yeah I don’t like those medium rare snobs either. They over cook their steak to blazes.
    Someone once explained how to cook a steak for me:
    “Grab a steer by the horns. Wipe it’s arse on the BBQ plate and put it on Greg’s plate”. My steak was only a little overdone that day.

As usual for things SV, the guys over at ChefSteps have an answer for you:
    http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

You will probably want a blowtorch to sear the outside.

Anonymous
    Participant

Seriously, please please please try a steak @58°C. You may be very pleasantly surprised. My son in law also insists on steak cooked at the crematorium. I tried him on one and he actually admitted it was the best steak he had had in ages.

Personally I go for 52 – 55°C in the SV.

gteague
    Participant

my house is that temperature in august! i know i’m a rare breed, but i wasn’t planning on being eaten in the immediate future. [g]

but i promise to try 3-4oz at your recommendations once i’ve got the hang of the equipment.

and i actually do have a soldering torch which uses butane. so a little extra searing is not out of the question. might be easier than the saute function on the pc.

ah, loved this at your link:

“For well-done: 158 °F / 70 °C
    Leather: Just boil your steak.”

lol!

but you are going to wince at this. they have pictures below the temps and the one that looks closest to my preference is ’90º/194º’. but how in heck do you tell when you’re only used to eating grilled steaks and are going by color? i like mine deep brown from outside to inside. i can’t for the life of me figure out what’s going on with those wellingtons chef ramsey is so fond of–they are red/purple on the inside and look like eating strawberry jello.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

and here’s either a coincidence or an example of impeccable internet tracking.

i remember you mentioning there was another model of the anova which i think you said didn’t have the sliding sleeve? is this it?

http://amzn.to/1GMeJoM

i just now got a coupon in my email to get this one for $99 and if i hadn’t already found and ordered the current model i might well have jumped on it. but i got the current model for $129 and from what you said that sliding sleeve is well worth the upgrade.

but if you know of anyone who wants this one the coupon code is ANOVAONE and you apply it in the amazon checkout form.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

found the masterchef season 7 on youtube of all places. would be the last place i looked. [g]

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes. That’s the other one I have. It is actually the one I use most often.
    It seems to maintain temperature better than the APC. Probably because of its higher power.

However it has a number of downsides. The biggest of which is that it needs a much deeper pot unless you are prepared to balance it on its base which I wasn’t. It would of course be feasible to rig up a stand to attach it to if you only have a shallow pot. I also find the touch screen a little finicky at times.

Still at $99, I reckon it’s a bargain.

gteague
    Participant

yeah, i’ll make do with the one i’m getting and pretend there’s not a cheaper one that does some things better. [g]

sometimes it amazes me when tech works. i pulled up the youtube videos of mc_oz and hit an icon to ‘cast’ it over to my tv and lo and behold, a few seconds later, the computer is freed up for me to annoy you with off-topic posts while the show plays on the tv.

i ate the very last of the food i cooked last week for breakfast this morning, yet i didn’t want to crank up a full production stock-up meal in advance of getting the anova so i’m just cooking a pot of beans. i’m just amazed that the leftovers last as long as they do in the ‘fridge. the last of the food i cooked last week (rice and mashed potatoes) tasted just nearly exactly as good as they did when they came out of the pc once i’d added in a little water to rehydrate them.

oh, and i signed up for the free course on sous-vide and i may watch it on the computer and the mc episodes on the tv simultaneously even if my pitiful multi-tasking skills make me miss a bunch of stuff. [g]

/guy

gteague
    Participant

i need subtitles–these blokes talk funky. and where is ramsey? i don’t know these judges. did they get ’em off the streets where they were running their own food trucks? [g]

/guy

gteague
    Participant

hey @greg, have a question for you. i’m working my way through the sous-vide site and i notice that they don’t always call for a vacuum in the food bag. is this just assumed or sometimes not necessary?

i just went through the egg calculator and even with my automatic egg cooker i am disappointed with every method of egg cooking available to me. i’d love to be able to cook eggs i could stand to eat since i love eggs.

so probably steak first using their ny strip recipe, then fish, then eggs. potatoes and veggies can always be done simultaneously and easier and probably quicker in the pc. and with the bonus of having your steak and your veg done at the same time.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

They sound perfectly fine to me. Unlike that strange woman who wandered into Laura’s KR video. ;)

Ramsay hasn’t figured yet in any of the series I’ve seen. We do get Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White, Jamie Oliver, Antonio Carluccio and so on though. There has been the odd American (I am trying to restrain myself here!) but they are not household names here so they didn’t stick in my memory.

The idea behind the vacuum is to remove air so that the heat transfer is more effective. You are after a food – water interface, with just enough separating them to keep them apart. The vacuum per se is not important. IF you can get that some other way then fine. Some things don’t need it at all. Eggs for example come with their own packaging. Also if you are going to cook a liquid in a jar, that doesn’t need vacuum. For example I adapted Laura’s Ricotta recipe by simply pouring the milk into an open jar and dropping that into the SV bath so that the neck was just out of the water. Also, you can use the water displacement method to get rid of the air. Summary: If it is a solid food in a bag they have assumed the vacuum. If it is a prepackaged food or in a jar, the vacuum is not necessary.

SV cracks the concept of a “boiled” egg wide open. You can get pretty much any texture you could possibly want by manipulating time and temperature. And, I have to say, more than a few no one would want.

gteague
    Participant

episode #3. your episodes have less commercial breaks and so far have been about 1:30 as opposed to 40 minutes here.

and in this episode i finally saw a chef i recognize! remember what i said in another thread about how i feel about coincidences? well, by coincidence i saw a documentary on npr (pbs) i think about a chef in ?milan? (probably a smaller town than that which i can’t remember off the top of my head) who started a trattoria there which became a 3-star michelin place. i can’t remember his last name, but his first name was massimo and i know you and laura will know him.

anyway, he just showed up as a guest judge in ep#3. from what i saw of his futuristic style, it’s not for me. one dish was three (count ’em, 1-2-3) tortellini ‘walking’ into a bowl. if someone served me 3 tortellini i’d slap ’em, but evidently this one dish became world famous–like a warhol soup can painting (also not to my taste–the soup or the painting).

anyway, there are a huge number of episodes and if they’re all this long it will take weeks to work my way through them. one contestant mentioned she was going to sous-vide a duck, but unless i was on a bathroom break, i never saw her actually doing it.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

?magora? i went back and replayed the audio a couple of times, but they announced him as being from austria. what’s up wid dat?

HelenAdams
    Participant

I have had pretty good success with sous vide although Greg has far more experience and knowledge.
    Steak, fish and pork are all very good.
    My first steaks were done in the Instant Pot at 140 degrees as was my first pork tenderloin. Superb.

Fish is perfectly cooked at 50 degrees C but not hot enough for me and I do not find it overcooked at 62 degrees so that is what I do.

I haven’t had much luck with vegetables except for cabbage and so far chicken cooked sous vide is not to my taste.

I second Greg’s advice on a medium rare steak. Try it. You can always put it back in the bag and cook it a bit more.

For well-done meat you can’t beat flank or brisket cooked for 48 to 72 hours. To me this is a whole different category of flavour and tenderness.

I have a food saver but use Ziploc double seal bags as well. More convenient in many cases and so far no bag failures. I food save for freezing, but if I am cooking something fresh I often use Ziploc.

The container I use most often is cereal container which I got at the dollar store. It takes up very little counter space, is stable, and the Anova fits in the hole in the lid, although I just fasten it to the side usually. Heats up very fast and maintains heat well.

And as Greg said, sous vide is very forgiving on time. I had 3 steaks ready for lunch guests and they cancelled last minute. Put them in the freezer and sous vided them again a week later with excellent results.

Anonymous
    Participant

@Helen,
    I know what you mean about the 50ºC fish. But my solution is to heat the plates. Works just well enough to get it to the table. But I might try taking it up to 55ºC next time.

The cereal container is an interesting choice. Long, deep and skinny. At least the ones here are. It would be brilliant cooking for one.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I have cooked 4 pork portions in it and it is a fairly small one.
    Kind of like this one

I think it uses less electricity because less water and less surface area and the small footprint means It is not in the way.

gteague
    Participant

i used to have one of those! that very one. long ago.

is that the anova model i’m getting? the screen doesn’t look nearly that large in the pictures:

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00UET2UI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433101555&sr=8-1&keywords=anova

and why is a screen even necessary? i understand their phone app is as crude as they get, but seems to me they could fix it and then add an option to opt out of the physical screen. oh well.

i had already planned out a strategy for doing much the same.

the anova folks said they used this container as their calibration benchmark:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0JM9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so i ordered it and a couple of lids with the thought that i would cut a section of the lid out to accommodate the unit and then modify (if necessary) the lip of one side to allow it to hold onto the top of the bag although i still haven’t quite grokked why clipping the bag is necessary unless it might get vacuumed into the intake of the device.

but since then i’ve been talking to you guys who seem to be getting by with very small containers and although the anova guy told me that the 8qt size was the minimum they recommend, i think i now realize that he might be talking for calibration purposes and thus i have also ordered a 4qt container and a couple of lids for it.

but now seeing the physical configuration of the device, i can see it’s not going to be as easy as i thought to secure the device in the lid of the container.

tks! /guy

gteague
    Participant

btw, the thermapen folks (high order blasphemy that they don’t allow amazon sales, btw) have the purple one on sale now for $79.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I’m jealous of the red anova! They only do the 240V version in black. @guy it is the A1 not the APC you are getting.

Yes you would use less electricity to heat the water, but probably more to maintain the temperature as the shape means there is more surface area to lose heat.

The only downside I see is that the smaller volume probably means that it will have more trouble maintaining a precise temperature. Less thermal mass to absorb fluctuations. That might be why the rep was suggesting a minimum 8 qt.

The smallest container I use is the 10l cooler. I just tried the saucepan as a test to confirm your 4qt PC insert would be ok.

Thats a good deal on the thermapen. And I quite like the purple colour. I have their stick timer in purple. But I think I’ll keep to my flame pattern thermapen. I am saving up for a cook book after all.

gteague
    Participant

now you’ve scared me. i was sure i was getting this one although i posted the wrong link above:

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

is this the a1 or the apc? i’m going to check my invoice although you are the only one i’ve even heard use those model designations and i think anova only sells one model. here’s the description on their invoice:

1x Anova Precision Cooker – Precision Cooker 120V (USA/Canada) / 120v (USA and Canada)

Anova Precision Cooker is what you’re calling APC, right? in that case i’m 99.9% sure i’m getting that since the only other version they’re selling at their site is designated ‘pro’.

i think i just posted the wrong link is causing the confusion. that’s the one i had the coupon to get for $99. the one i’m getting was $179 and i had a $50 coupon.

Anonymous
    Participant

The one you just posted a link to is the one I call the APC: (Anova Precision Cooker)

As it happens, I visited their website this morning too. The one I call the A1 and they call the Anova One is no longer there. This used to be $199 and has been reduced to $99 on Amazon. This is clearly is a run out deal on the old model to clear stocks. It probably also explains why they sent me a replacement so readily. When I bought it, it was just called Anova. They only had the one model.

The one they call the Pro is a larger, more powerful unit aimed at commercial kitchens. I think it is probably no accident that it looks remarkably like the polyscience brand that is the front runner in the commercial environment.

gteague
    Participant

i’m up to episode 6 or 7 now. and i can’t believe it’s such a total hugfest. i didn’t realize you guys were so touchy-feely. the aussies i knew would hug a croc before they’d hug an actual human being. they were seasonal workers and perpetual journeyers who lived in caravans and not inclined to social niceties. [g]

the american version has a totally different set of personalities and is chock-a-block with sneering and sarcasm and personal insults and trash talk and <bleeps>. and those <bleeps> are not all from gordon ramsey!

cooking contests are pretty boring unless they’re a full-contact sport. but i’m just here to watch for techniques, so no worries.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes it certainly has a unique vibe. It is very much a nurturing environment with even contestants actively helping one another while competing directly. I have seen a contestant apologizing when they have made a strategic decision that will negatively affect the others. Very different to any other “reality” show I am familiar with. I thought it was MasterChef. But apparently it is unique to the Australian franchise.

Mind you they all seem to be much more touchy feely than I am. I could cope with the cooking maybe. But not the bonding.

There is another cooking competition cooking show here — MKR — that is much more dog eat dog. I am not interested.

Imagine what this site would be like if it went in for backstabbing and (intentional) false information. It would have gone the way of the dodo years ago methinks.

gteague
    Participant

i dislike conflict, thus i like your version. but i also like colorful characters and salty language and you have to admit–love or hate him–ramsey is never dull!

but god help your guys if they had the american judges. ramsey has been known to scream in a contestant’s face: ‘are you going to CRY!’ are you going to CRY!

and that was on masterchef JUNIOR!

i kept waiting for ramsey to deliver tom hanks line in ‘a league of their own’: ‘there’s no crying in cooking’!

/guy

gteague
    Participant

btw, i think you have, inadvertently or not, turned me on to a very useful book for my stage of learning to cook. the book that had knife advice actually takes a beginner from square zero and i’m sure it’ll be above my head in a few chapters. and it was published some years ago and i know it won’t have technogeek stuff, but i’m getting that from you guys anyway. hopefully this book will fill in some of the things you guys take for granted.

she’s already telling me which onions to pick. i stand in front of the bins in puzzlement as it is, so it is very useful advice already. i thought she was a little weak on the knife sharpening module, but, like battery charging, there’s a lot of old folk wisdom out there that should have been discarded by now.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Ahh. But we have Marco Pierre White. And he made Gordon Ramsay cry.

I’m glad you are finding Bunny useful. The reviews I read were very mixed but reading between the lines, the beginners thought she was wonderful while the people who thought they knew it all thought she was hopeless. A very few advanced cooks thought she was worthwhile as even though they knew most already, they found some new nuggets in there. It was those ones that decided me it was worth recommending.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I sous vide cooked the moose neck (notoriously the worst cut of moose) for 36 hours and gave samples to various people. Some who liked moose and some who didn’t. Oddly enough rave reviews from both groups. IMO it doesn’t really taste like moose which is a good thing. Pretty much like beef.

I have eaten some pretty unpleasant moose in my life. My employer who is an avid hunter hates moose and he said it was really really good. My friend Carl who is aboriginal said it should be cooked more so I am cooking what is left some more.

gteague
    Participant

i’ve eaten deer and elk, but i’ve experimented much more with seafood than ground game. most parts of a moose i would consider problematical for enjoyable consumption except maybe in a chili or stew.

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

I made the moose neck sous vide and gave samples to my bosses one of whom is Tlinget and the other usually hates moose. They both told me it was the best moose they have ever eaten. Maybe true maybe not. Tasted like beef to me, with no gamey flavour. I am going to make moose corned one of these days.

Made pork riblets from the ends of the ribs that they always hide under the ribs with bones in them in the supermarket. Cooked at 140 degrees for 24 hours and the fat was not rendered, turned up to 160 and cooked another 12 hours. Definitely the best results for this particular type of pork cut. Something the stores have to trick you into buying.

I have a foolproof method for cooking ribs and these were a bit better and much better than the baby back ribs I did in the Instant Pot. Of course the Instant Pot method only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish while my old method took 5 or six hours and the sous vide longer.

gteague
    Participant

i haven’t tried ribs yet. i like them, but i hardly ever eat them since the ones in restaurants are brimming with sugar even if not served with bbq sauce–they slather them constantly with a sugar-based sauce while cooking. i love brisket too. and corned beef. so i’ve been following your experiments with those too.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

there’s so many things left to try. i don’t eat much anymore and if i cook nearly any amount on sunday it lasts me all week. so it’s gonna take me a long time to get to a lot of it.

/guy

Tlhy71
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m new here. I just got my Instant Pot Smart. Can anyone teach me how to sous vide beef steak with it please? Thank you.

Anonymous
    Participant

I don’t have an IPS but I do sous vide steak regularly.

To sous vide anything you you heat it in a precisely controlled water bath. To keep the water out of the food, you put it in a waterproof bag. To make sure you get good heat transfer (and therefore even cooking!) you remove the air around the food. The easiest/cheapest way to do this is to carefully lower the open bag into the water bath. The water will push the air out. Once the air is out, close the bag. The best/expensive way is to use a dedicated vacuum sealer.

The first step is to choose how done you like your steak. This will determine the temperature you need to set your water bath.
    Rare 49-52°C. Medium rare 53-57°. Medium 57-62°. Medium well 63-68°. Ruined (“well done”) 68° and up. Personally I like 55° best. My wife likes 63° best.

Next check the thickness of your steak. The thicker it is, the longer it will take to cook, but as long as you exceed the minimum for your thickness, you should be fine. Timing is not very critical. I generally cook from frozen and allow one to two hours for a steak about an inch thick. Halve that if you are cooking from refrigerated. But if you let it go longer it won’t hurt much. The other day I cooked a small lamb chump roast for around 27 hours. It was excellent. Don’t bring it to room temperature first. That is asking for trouble. Also don’t rest it at the end. It doesn’t need it and it will go cold very quickly.

Once you are ready to eat, pull the steak out, remove from its bag, pat it dry and quickly sear it to make it look good. They look terrible straight out of the bath. I use a blowtorch, but a good hot skillet or even a broiler will do nicely. The juice in the bag makes a nice gravy. Reduce it in a pan and add a knob of butter. Pour over just before serving.

To get the precise control over temperature you really need, you will need to set the ip using your smart device. It needs to be Bluetooth 4.0 compatible. In the apple world this means the iPhone 4S or later. Not sure about android models, but anything made in the last couple of years should do.

If you don’t have the right device, you can still get by, but your options are severely limited. Use the keep warm function. “Less” will give you 56°. “Normal” wil get you 63° and “more” will give you 75°. Please don’t use that last one.

Any way. Fill your pot with water, set the temperature and hit start. Wait for the water to reach temp. Then drop your bagged steak in and set the timer. When time is up ( or later) take it out, finish it as above and serve. Warmed plates are a big help.

If like me, you need to do steaks to different levels of doneness, first do the overcooked ones. When they are done, leave them in the bath – they won’t cook any more – and lower the temperature for the next steak. Ice cubes help to bring it down quickly. Or get a second sous vide machine. That’s what I did. Taking 4 hours to cook two steaks is more planning than I can usually cope with.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Greg is the man IMO when it comes to sous vide.
    Helped me a lot.
    I have the IPS but no device that will run the app.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzLT3puRDXA is for lamb but works for beef/pork and as simple as it gets and there is an app available.
    I got a dedicated sous vide circulator eventually so I could use both at once, have more control (I have no app) and use different size containers but my first steaks in the IPS were the best:)

Anonymous
    Participant

Not me Helen. Kenji and the mob over at ChefSteps are my go to sources.
    Here’s a link to kenji’s page on sous vide steak.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

And I use the chefsteps temperature guide quite a bit too

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I had tried and given up on Kenji’s beer cooler stuff. just a bit of a PITA. And sous vide was why I chose to get the IP. Sheer stubbornness prevented me from getting another Smart Bluetooth device plus the sous vide circulator was cheaper.

Discussing it with you in this thread was very helpful and encouraged me to persevere:) So thanks for that there as they say in Quebec.

Viewing 55 posts - 61 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.