home Forums Request Line Sous Vide tips?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gdunge
    Participant

I just received an Accu Slim (the sous vide appliance from Instant Pot) and I’m looking for the equivalent of “hipsousvidecooking.com” :)

Laura does such a fantastic job breaking down exactly how pressure cookers work and how to get the best out of them. I’d love to get her insights on sous vide cooking!

Can anyone point me to a good source of reliable recipes and information for the Accu Slim and sous vide in general?

There’s a lot of recipes on the internet, but they’re wildly different and I have no idea what is trustworthy.

So far I’ve made an OK pork sirloin roast and a subpar chicken breast using the info in the Accu Slim manual. Speaking of which, this manual is a new low for Instant Pot, IMO. No actual recipes, just time/temp tables and some spice suggestions.

At the time I’m posting this, their website has NO recipes for the Accu Slim that I can discover. There are several sous vide recipes but they are for the IP MAX, which includes a sous vide function.

Thanks in advance,

Doug W.

Greg
    Participant

Hi Doug,
    I see my first post has gone into moderation. That is because I put links into it.

I had a quick look at the Accu Slim, and it looks remarkably like my Anova Precision Cooker.

One thing that struck me as odd is that it claims to cook to 0.1°C or 1°F precision. That is odd as 0.1°C is about 0.2°F. If it is correct and not just a typo, then I would always have it set to Centigrade/Celsius as you will get better results.

It claims 800W power. That should be fine for cooking in up to about 25 litres of water. About 5 gallons if my memory of the conversion is accurate. Once you go over that, it will still maintain temperature, but it will struggle to get to temperature. I mostly cook in a beer cooler (about 11 litres). That is plenty big enough when cooking for two. But when cooking for a crowd, I go to a bigger cooler (about 30 litres). I have also used the kitchen sink (60l) when cooking for a party. But I have the older Anova One which is more powerful (1100W) as well as the 800W jobbie. The advantage of cooking in a cooler is that the insulated walls mean that you will use less electricity for a cooking session. I have also used a small saucepan in a pinch.

Basically, any recipe for Sous Vide cooking you find anywhere will work for your Accu Slim. All they are is a heater, an accurate thermostat (technically it is a PID but it does the same job only better) and a stirrer. The older bath style sous vide units like Sous Vide Supreme did away with the stirrer, but suffered precision as a result.

Right now, I have a couple of salmon steaks on the go for dinner tonight. 50.5°C for 1 hour. I am cooking from frozen so I am using a longer cooking time than I would normally. When I packaged the salmon, I put in some olive oil, capers and a couple of slices of lemon.

Pretty much all my large lump meat/fish/poultry cookery has gone over to SV. It is just so precise and forgiving as to time.

I am always happy to answer questions but I don’t have a blog.

Greg
    Participant

Welcome Doug,
    I have been using Anova Sous Vide machines for several years now.
    The best sources I have found include:

https://www.seriouseats.com/
    https://www.chefsteps.com/ (They were better before they started plugging their own device)

Sous Vide

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/

I also put an intro up here. It will be in the forums somewhere. Probably in the Kitchen Chit Chat section. But at the time there appeared to be very little interest in it so I did not persist.

I have found, with a few exceptions, that Sous Vide is best for cooking an ingredient rather than a meal. This is inherent in the way it works. Whatever is put into the bag is cooked precisely to the temperature you set. The right temperature for steak is very different to the right temperature for, say carrots. So they are best cooked separately. And time to cook depends very much on the thickness of what you are cooking.

I recently moved to a chamber vacuum device, and it is a BIG step up from the old side vacuum system I was using before that.

So basically, I put a main ingredient in a bag with few flavourings, seal it up and drop it into the water bath. Depending on what it is, the starting temperature and how thick it is I pull it out half an hour to 3 days later.

Some examples from my repertoire:
    Steak. I use Scotch Fillet (Rib Eye?) about 20mm thick. I add Soy sauce, HP sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce , vinegar (usually cider), Kecap Manis, salt, pepper and olive oil. I cook at 55°C for half an hour (1 hour if from frozen), then put the sauce in a small saucepan, reduce it a little and add a knob of butter. That becomes the gravy. while the gravy is cooking, I sear the steak with an industrial strength blowtorch for a few seconds on each side. IT is so hot and quick it doesn’t cook the steak anymore, just adds a Maillard crust to the exterior for extra flavour and looks.
    Sausages. Usually heated with the steak as my wife prefers them. I cook them first at 62°C for about 20 minutes. I buy a bunch, bag and cook them when I get home from the Butchers. They go into the freezer and come out with the steak. I find the fancy flavoured sausages work great. You can actually taste the flavours. That used to get killed when I used to cook them conventionally.
    Beetroot. Peeled and sliced about 5mm thick. I use a Japanese mandoline. I add a cheap Balsamic vinegar to the bag and some salt. Cooked at 85°C for about an hour. the other day I forgot them and rescued them about 5 hours later. They were a little mushy but otherwise fine.
    Salmon. I add some salt, dill and olive oil. Cooked at 50.5C for 20 minutes. I remove the skin when they come out. Works brilliantly with a Bois Boudrain sauce. But I usually just do a mustard and caper flavoured bechamel. I have also tried a tahini-parsley sauce that I found in Ottolenghi’s Simple. Superb.
    Creme Brulee. I use a ChefSteps recipe. Check their website.
    Lamb Chump roast. 15 hours at 58°C. These are a tiny roast just for two that my local butcher does from time to time. I am old school. I just add garlic and rosemary. I finish it in a very hot oven where I am crisping up the potatoes
    Lamb rack. As above, but only 4 hours does the trick.
    Chicken Roulade. This is more of a recipe. Butterfly a chicken breast and hammer it to about 5mm thickness. Place Prosciutto slices on a sheet of cling film. Place the butterflied chicken on top of that. Place a layer of baby spinach leaves, fetta, sage and pinenuts on top of the chicken, then roll the whole thing up. Vacuum seal then cook at 65°C for about an hour. Serve with a light sauce made with reduced chicken stock and a little butter. This is my own recipe. It is based on one of Laura’s pressure cooker recipes. I often substitute the filling. Cherry jam and cream cheese works well. So does fig jam and macadamia nuts.
    Carrots. Use baby carrots. Add butter and a little honey to the bag. cook at 85°C ( most veggies cook at this temperature or a little higher) for about half an hour. Too much honey makes them overly sweet.

That’s enough to be going on with. I will come back with more if you are interested. I don’t run a blog. Food or otherwise or I would direct you there. I think about it now and again. But time is a killer. I type too slow.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.