home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Steam releasing from valve when running Perfect Basmati Rice Script/Smart Pot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    momowack
    Participant

Hi Laura, I’ve just followed your recipe script and recipe for Perfect Basmati Rice with my Smart cooker. After it came to pressure, steam started coming out of the pressure release valve but then went away after a short time. It appears to me that the pressure built up too high so it had to release the pressure?? There is nothing blocking it.
    Also, the script stated that the rice was to cook at high pressure for 4 minutes, but the status indicator on the app showed the pot being at low pressure for the entire time. The rice turned out ok. Maybe a tad underdone… (not as nice as my rice cooker) What would cause steam to come out of the pressure release valve if the pressure besides the pot being over pressurized? I made Basmati rice in it the other day pilaf style and this did not happen. When I do rice that I don’t rinse the rice first, but this time I followed your recipe. Thanks in advance.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Momowack, I just noticed that some of my recipes were “translated” by Instant Pot incorrectly into their app. For example, the “perfect basmati” includes a soaking step and low pressure – I do not call for either of these in my technique.

I’ve contacted Instant Pot and have given them the corrections, but in the meantime you can find the correct recipe script for basmati rice at the bottom of this page – the results will definately be comparable (if not superior) to what you’ve been getting from your rice cooker:

PERFECT Pressure Cooker Rice – two easy ways!

The script only cooks the rice for three minutes at high pressure and then includes a 10-minute natural release (the display will say “hot” during this time) and then beeps and says “done” when the rice is finished. At this point you can release all of the remaining pressure from the cooker slowly and serve.

Until we get all of the kinks worked-out you can be certain that the recipe scripts found here, all work as intended:
    https://www.hippressurecooking.com/smartcooker/

BTW, in pressure cooking, there will be some steam coming from the valve before the cooker reaches pressure. This is natural and just signifies that the contents inside are boiling and starting to generate steam. When enough steam is generated (and most of the air is pushed out of the cooker) the pressure signal will come up to indicate the lid is locked and steam will stop coming out at that point. You will see steam again when pressure is starting to decrease (like during a Natural Release phase).

Ciao,

L

momowack
    Participant

The steam was actually coming out of the lever that you use to release pressure, (sorry about my lousy terminology..) AFTER the steam had been pushed out of the pot and the little round indicator was all the way to the top. I have another Instant Pot and have never experienced this with my Duo. My first thought was that there was too much pressure in the pot so it released through the lever. It finally stopped after a couple of minutes.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Instant Pot will do this when it starts to reach pressure – it will actually heat-up above what the valve will release and then cycle through at lower temperatures..

ip

Ciao,
    L

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.