home Forums Recipe Swap Steamed vegetables for baby food?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marysmom
    Participant

Hi there,

I bought the InstantPot (7 in 1 model) for the main purpose of steaming vegetables to make baby food.

I’m realizing I could probably pressure cook most things and purée them to baby food.

Any recipes or suggestions?

Tanya

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi Tanya,

I recommend you get organic vegetables and, where appropriate keep the peels on. You’ll want to steam the veggies for the minimum time they need to get soft (try 3 minutes for most) and then release pressure. When you puree the veggies use some of the steaming liquid to thin them if needed (it will contain precious veggie juices). You can also use the steaming liquid as a drink in place (or in addition to) water and when you move to grains cook them in the liquid.

I know they have different nutrition recommendations in the U.S. for starting babies on solid food. But I always added a drop of fresh unfiltered extra-virgin olive oil (get some locally) and some grated pecorino romano cheese to my kid’s puree. My son was sensitive to cow’s milk but sheep’s milk Pecorino Romano worked well for him. For my daughter I went straight for the aged Parmigiano Reggiano.

In the later stages, I would add ricotta cheese, too.

Once I ruled out most allergens I would just puree part of what we were eating for dinner. Today my kids eat “almost” everything.

The best advice I ever got was to only force my kids “taste” a food and not force them to eat it. The rule we have is that you can’t say it’s disgusting from looking at something. You need to taste it, even if you already tasted it yesterday, before you can announce what it’s like. Years, and years later they got used to lots of different foods just from tasting them all the time.

It may be too soon for you to think about this now, but when your baby moves to “real” food: stick to your guns. Offer the kids what you’re having for dinner. Don’t make anything separate. That’s it. If they’re hungry, they’ll eat it.

Today, my 6-year-old daughter is crazy for broccoli (she asks for me to steam them all the time) and both her and my 9-year-old son also eat fish, beans, mushrooms and many other “controversial” (brown or green) foods. My son is crazy for expensive wild truffle mushrooms (lucky me : ). They are the envy of their classmate’s mothers who make two or more separate dishes (usually pasta with butter) for their kids at each mealtime. The few times we go to restaurants we don’t need to order the “kid’s meal.” We get them a real entree and ask for two plates. They’re also curious and want to taste what we’re having.

It took my kids going to bed with an empty tummy a few times before they figured out that crying and yelling was not going to change my mind or magically make pasta with butter fall out of the air into their plate.

Ciao,

L

Nori Heikkinen
    Participant

I’d love to try this for my 6-month-old! I’m new to Instant Pot — do I need to buy a steamer basket to steam things, or can I just place the veggies directly on the steamer insert? Also, if I want to make baby food using the Instant Pot’s pressure-cooker function, can I just toss in a few cups of water? What happens if I get the water-to-veggies ratio wrong?

Thank you! Your website has already been super useful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.