home Forums Beginner Basics Stovetop PC vs. Instant Pot Cook Time

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Watchedpot
    Participant

I bought a handful of pressure cooker recipe books. Most of the recipes presume the use of a stovetop pressure cooker and state the cooking pressure as being 15 psi. The manual of my Instant Pot Duo 60 indicates the pressure at the high pressure setting is between 10.2-11.6 psi. Should I compensate for the difference in pressure by adding a proportionate amount of time to the stovetop recipe time?

To complicate things, I live at 5500′ above sea level and water boil at a lower temperature than at lower elevations. How further should I adjust cooking time based on altitude in addition to the cooking temperature differential?

I would certainly appreciate any help.

Greg
    Participant

Have a look at this chart: https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/#high. If you use the RHS column – 11.5PSI PC, and go to 5000 feet elevation, you will see that your pressure cooker effectively cooks at 9psi. Now go over to the LHS column. You will see that a 15psi PC ( the one the recipes are written for) is effectively a 10psi PC at 10,000 feet.

Now go down to the table below this. It says that at 10,000 ft you need to add 40% to the cooking time. Probably a little more as I have used nearest on table.

This is all very approximate, and is complicated by the fact that Electrics take longer to cool down than stovetops, so that extra time also needs to be factored in. NB this will SHORTEN the cooking time required as cooking is still happening during the cooling time. Laura’s recipes take this into account, so you will find some recipes are shorter for electrics, and some are longer. However the recipe books you have found probably don’t.

TL;DR: add about 40% to the time given in a stovetop recipe to convert to your situation and experiment from there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.