home Forums Recipe Swap RECIPE: Sweet-Sour Pork

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DWSchmidt
    Participant

A not-authentic-but-the-flavors-are-there recipe for Sweet-Sour Pork. Restaurant style Sweet-Sour dishes coat the meat in a light batter and deep fry before adding to the sauce and veggies at the end of cooking. I skip that part of the more commonly seen recipe.

When I make this, I don’t use exact measurements, so this a do-it-yourself to your own taste recipe I make in my Instant Pot.

Pork sirloin in one inch cubes about 1 1/2 pounds
    1 onion, diced
    minced garlic and ginger

Sauce mix – quantities to taste
    pineapple juice from canned pineapple about 1/4 cup
    Catsup about 1/4 cup
    soy sauce 1 tbsp
    Siracha, sambal or hot sauce
    Asian chicken taste powder or bouillon cube
    water to make up volume (see below)

1/2 can pineapple chunks or tidbits
    2 Bell peppers (red or green) in 1 inch chunks (See note below)
    1 onion cut into 1 inch chunks

1 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar and 2 tbsp water

I use pork sirloin, not loin or tenderloin. This is a lean, inexpensive cut sold as a roast or cutlets that sometimes has a fat-cap which I keep on but some may prefer to remove.

Saute the pork in some oil with salt and pepper in the PC. You may need to do it in batches. Remove the browned pork and add the diced onion to the pot and saute til soft. Add garlic and ginger to taste and saute for one minute.

Add the pork and accumulated drippings back to the PC along with the sauce mix from above. The liquid should just barely cover the meat, add water if necessary. Pressure cook for 10 min, allow pressure to release naturally for another 10 minutes before manually releasing steam.

Open and add veggies and pineapple. Close and pressure cook for 2 min. Release manually right away.

Open and, in saute mode, stir in cornstarch slurry and cook until thickened.

Serve over rice.

Note on bell peppers: Some people object to the tough skin of cooked bell peppers. To remove, slice the peppers top to bottom along the creases or valleys of the sides of the pepper so you can use a sharp veggie peeler to get at all of the skin.

Anonymous
    Participant

Looks great.

A traditional and easier way to peel capsicums (bell peppers) is to burn them over an open flame. Then put them in a plastic bag to cool down. The blackened skins will rub off with your fingers. At a pinch you can use a preheated griller (broiler) instead of the flame.

Ok the plastic bag is not traditional. ;)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

This sounds delicious – thanks for sharing!!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.