home Forums Cookbook questions, comments and photos The Hip Cookbook Sold out the first printing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Dear Readers, unfortunately right in the middle of “pressure cooking season”, the first printing of Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh & Flavorful sold out. The publisher is getting new copies printed and the second printing will be available at the end of February 2016.

In the meantime, I hunted around and there are still a few copies for sale, at a reasonable price, here:

http://www.powells.com/book/hip-pressure-cooking-fast-fresh-flavorful-9781250026378/62-0:

I’m trying to get amazon to turn on their pre-ordering system as well.

In the meantime, please do not buy a used copy that is being sold at 300-1000% mark-up by profiteers. Get the Kindle version, or visit your local library to see if they have a copy of the book to borrow.

I’d love for you to have a copy of my book – but you shouldn’t have to pay an unreasonable price for it.

Thank you for your support and enthusiasm!

Ciao,

L

Sharvo
    Participant

Hi all,

I just ordered from Amazon.CA at CAD$22 (I live in Canada). The site said they had 6 more. No idea if US residents can order from that site BUT if you can, the exchange rate is wickedly in your favour these days.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

BTW, if you are in Maine you can find copies of Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh & Flavorful here:

LeRoux Kitchen
    http://www.LeRouxKitchen.com
    161 Commercial St.
    Portland, ME 04101
    207-553-7665

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The publisher told me that amazon won’t list the book for order/pre-order until it arrives IN their warehouse. That’s funny, because they used to list it even before it was printed – but maybe a second printing involves more hoopla.

Ciao,

L

Allearia
    Participant

Thank you! I actually just came and registered to find out where I could get the print book. I’m glad they are coming out again soon!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I heard from some readers that Books A Million has cancelled any pre-orders. But a reader was able to order her copy from here:
    http://www.lerouxkitchen.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4186

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, the editor confirmed the boxes of books have been delivered to Amazon – now they just need to stock them in their warehouse. Hopefully it will be available for sale in just a matter of days!

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster
    Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, according to amazon they will be shipping the new hip cookbook starting March 11th. You can finally pre-order it now.

http://amzn.to/1NidNLl

Ciao,

L

earth
    Participant

Not surprised! Your book is first-rate–creative, clear, organized, original, and intelligent. Best of all, the recipes turn out really tasty. But I respectfully bring up one issue that I hope you’re able to fix in a future edition. I’m surprised your editor didn’t catch this actually.

Here it is: I’ve memorized page 15 because that’s where I always have to look (even after several months using the book) to remind myself about the difference between what you mean by normal and natural release. Both terms begin with “n” but even worse, they actually mean the same thing in ordinary usage! So, please, please replace “normal release” with “quick release” or “instant release” like every other pressure cookbook author, including the esteemed Lorna (she uses “quick”).

Anyway, you’ve managed to write what I expect will prove to be a classic, so you can be very proud of this book. Please, though, fix what is, in my view anyway, this pretty annoying issue.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for the support and feedback, Earth.

In terms of the releases, I agree that it can be confusing because different authors and manufacturers use different terms for different releases. For example “normal” release is also referred to as “manual” or “automatic”. Then there is the “cold-water quick” release that is often abbreviated to “quick” – and that is also the name some manufacturers use for “normal”. In the end, I settled on “normal” because it made the most sense that if you are actively releasing pressure you would do it the way your particular pressure cooker was normally designed to do it.

I’ve also published an article to try and tease apart the confusion between releases:

Pressure Cooker Opening Methods Explained + Tips!

Before publishing the hip book, I did have this conversation with my editor. My goal was to write the end-all reference for pressure cookery so I felt that introducing a new opening method (“slow normal”) and officializing one that’s been around for a while (“10-minute natural”) would give me the chance to change the names of some of these releases.

Actually, I wanted to change the name of “natural release” because it looked too close to “normal.” I just didn’t think “natural” accurately illustrated that you’re not supposed to do anything. The editor nixed that idea because “natural” was being used so consistently elsewhere.

Hopefully the explanation will help clear some of the confusion between the releases for you.

Thanks for your feedback! I hope that you can understand the challenges involved in writing a book that will work for all pressure cookers.

As far as I know, before I published the hip book – no one had published a book to be used for both stovetop and electric pressure cookers. I see a couple of cookbooks out addressing both pressure cookers now, but they have some limited degree of recipe success because the author did not actually test the recipes in both pressure cooker types or have enough experience using both kinds to foresee changes in timing, pressure or minimum liquid requirements.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.