home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat this thread has no specific topic — enter at your own risk!

Viewing 46 posts - 61 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

@Guy,
    Not quite.
    It is trial and error.
    Observe and interpret.
    Modify technique.
    Trial and error
    {repeat as required}
    Success.
    Keep doing this way.

Different people reach success at a different point. So there are different ways of doing the same thing. All of them are valid, but YOU will prefer one over another.

Guy, If that is oil is 15 years old. It WILL be rancid. One year is the recommended shelf life. You can go longer if it is stored well (cool and dark) but 15 years? No!

DO yourself a favour and buy a bottle (or better a can – see dark above) of “PURE” or “light” olive oil. Not EVOO. you don’t need the extra expense of EVOO for cooking. Just for salads. Avoid anything that says “pomace” anywhere on the label. that is basically floor sweepings.

gteague
    Participant

i think i’ll start over with the toasted sesame seed oil that @helen mentioned and throw out that evoo. but the bottle is so pretty! i do have two store-brand plastic bottles of evoo that i bought on sale just a few months ago–i just hate to throw stuff out. you ever seen those hoarding shows on tv with the boxes stacked to the roof and cats crapping everywhere? well, that’s me if a camera crew ever finds me! [g]

i went to the cabinet and fetched the bottle. it is lucini extra special extra virgin olive oil 250ml and was normally priced at $13.24 and on sale for $4.00. the date on it is 02/15/2008, so not 15 years old after all! anyway, it’s bound for the trash as soon as i hit ‘send’.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@guy. I can definitely taste sesame oil, and I can definitely taste/smell rancid oil. If I haven’t used an oil in a while I sniff it. I can also taste the difference between food cooked in butter or oil, but I like either. And I wouldn’t dream of putting oil on my baked potato even in desperate times, but I have seen it done. And bread dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil is okay but I am not going to do it to my toast or put it on a salmon salad sandwich.

Cretin that I am at times, I just cannot tell the difference tastewise between many liquid oils.

Most spices are supposed to meld into the final flavour. Just to show my tastebuds are not completely dead, I would not sauté an onion without salt even for a stew. I use basil, rosemary and thyme a lot and chervil and tarragon occasionally and am really learning a lot these days about the subtleties of different chilies which a year ago I might not have believed. Canadians are not big on Mexican food. I always thought nutmeg was for eggnogs until I made Swedish meatballs.

Then there are the corned beef experiments. I think it is the cardoman that gives the most flavour.

Food with the spices cooked in it, generally IMO is subtly better.

Anonymous
    Participant

Food with the spices cooked in it, generally IMO is subtly better.

Agreed.
    I recommend watching Ratatouille ( the movie, not the meal) Remy’s raptures to his Philistine brother early in the movie are one of the best explanations I have ever seen.

gteague
    Participant

i enjoyed that movie even without knowing anything of cooking! i’ll have to revisit it.

and yeah, i watched those cooking shows for years and when they invariably put in lemon zest i would shake my head and wonder why they were using dishwashing liquid in the food. and people used to add coffee grounds to stuff–another head scratcher.

anyway, i soured on a recent prime time cooking show when they gave them 20 minutes to cook a brisket dish from scratch. uh, huh–generations of texans are spinning in their burial shrouds. [g]

Anonymous
    Participant

You have it backwards. You should be wondering why dishwashing liquids use a wonderful food in their ingredients.

As for the brisket. Cue the Pressure Cooker. As you should know by now. :P

gteague
    Participant

here’s what i’m ordering from amazon along with a smaller spray bottle of the same oil. this is 500ml for only $10 which seems very reasonable:

http://amzn.to/1HGBhaT

HelenAdams
    Participant

Haha. I used to watch hoarders. To painful to watch though unless one is really really drunk. Those poor people.

I tend to collect food and appliances and electronics, not hoarding exactly, but my freezer gets dangerously full, and I am a sucker for the latest gadget if it is affordable. With food I find it hard to not buy meat when it is under $2 a lb. or chicken under $1. About a year ago I saw whole frying chickens for 78 cents a lb. and already had lots of chicken. I bought some for a friend on social assistance, and my sister who is less fortunate than me. I do have a problem.

The sesame oil is for flavour in certain dishes. You don’t want to cook your omelette in it or all you will taste is sesame oil. Probably make you hate sesame oil.

If your olive oil still tastes fine keep it or buy more. Up to you.

And check your local stores for Ghee or order some online perhaps if you feel adventurous. The one I buy is Nanak because it is commonly available for $8.00 for a 12 oz jar but seems much pricier on Amazon like 3 times as much. Other brands are much cheaper at Amazon and I am sure just as good.

gteague
    Participant

i guess i didn’t realize ghee wasn’t perishable and sold refrigerated. how does this look? i can add some to the order i’m placing tonight:

http://amzn.to/1HGCjmY

and here’s 14oz for under 10 bucks:

this stuff is for ‘buttering’ the pans for cooking eggs and suchlike, do i have this right? but not as sensitive as butter to heat?

ah! found the nanak. it’s not that much more expensive and since you already use it i won’t worry about getting something really bad at a ‘bargain’:

http://amzn.to/1HGCHSJ

Anonymous
    Participant

I noticed that one reviewer for the Nanak said it was rancid. That seems to happen now and again with all the brands. Not sure why. I have had the odd rancid one from my favourite brand, but usually it is sweet and delicious. When it is rancid, it usually sputters and pops in the pan, so I suspect they haven’t quite removed all the milk solids and water. Maybe it is the end of the run.

I suspect you can’t really go far wrong with any brand. Just watch for an off aroma when you crack the seal. If you are into paleo you will probably want one of the grass fed ones. Otherwise butter is butter.

Mine says refrigerate after opening, but I have never bothered. It doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Anonymous
    Participant

This is the sesame oil I am using at the moment. It isn’t one of the toasted ones
    http://www.amazon.com/Maruhon-Sesame-Oil-Oz-Tin/dp/B003QVLV4O

HelenAdams
    Participant

ghee IIRC was made due to lack of refrigeration in India. It has a high smoking point so good for frying, but can also be used in recipes requiring butter/oil or on popcorn etc. and I believe it is considered more heart healthy than butter. Could be wrong on that.

I am pretty sure any of the others would be fine. I only have the Nanak because it is what is in the store and inexpensive. But then again is good and can be used in a pinch for buttering vegetables etc.

I actually wish I had my ghee as I am making curry tonight for the cook who cooked my supper last night. His pork, his sauce and my vegetables, cooking equipment etc.

HelenAdams
    Participant

My sesame oil is Taipan at the moment. Not a gourmet product I am pretty sure.

Embarrassing to admit, but I did not know there was toasted and untoasted, or what the difference is. Like the Ghee, it was there in front of me so I bought it.

Now I will have to buy some better sesame oil and see if I can tell the difference. Will have to wait till October though as there is only a one room store here where I cannot even buy wasabi or cabbage or even a pepper. But could be worse. I lived in Rankin Inlet one year and the grocery store clerk had no idea what an onion was.

Anonymous
    Participant

I didn’t either. Mine just happens to be “pure”. I’ll have to look out for “toasted” next time I am in the market.

I think we forget sometimes that most of the really great dishes of the world were based on what the locals had to hand. The French had onions so they made French onion soup. The Japanese had fish and rice so they came up with sushi.
    We are really spoilt in that we can make pretty much anything. Unless caught in an out of the way corner of the world.

Btw Helen, shouldn’t you be in bed by now?

gteague
    Participant

i heard onions were going for one ounce or more of gold in winter at the height of the gold rush days. when they were available, that is.

well, things should get moving next week. nothing heard on my replacement ip smart yet but the induction burner is arriving tomorrow and a couple of pans on tuesday. i can test water boiling even if i’m not ready to actually cook anything yet. i have one of the 3 t-bones left (i cooked one sv and one pc) and i might try doing a steak in the skillet just for the education. i have a youtube video which looks pretty simple to follow although the guy uses some unfamiliar (to me) ingredients to prep the steak with.

there were a couple of comments that seemed apropos although i have no idea of the knowledge and experience levels of the commenters:

* “Salt the steak, then let it reach room temperature, then oil. This will pull moisture to the surface which should caramelize when cooked and help seal in the rest of the moisture. Olive oil’s smoke point is too low for steaks and butter is for finishing. Or do whatever you want :)”

* “Also, you will notice that the steak started to curl and pull away from the pan. That could be avoided by making a few cuts in the fat along the outside. This will keep the whole steak in contact with the pan allowing it to cook evenly. “

HelenAdams
    Participant

I am old but not that old:) It is only 10 PM. Last night I went to bed at 3 AM just about when the sun was going down.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Technically you should reheat the steak sous vide for 1/2 hour I think. Then sear.
    But you are overthinking perhaps. You like your meat cooked. So if you have already cooked the steak sous vide, you can reheat it at medium or high for “a few minutes” (don’t hit me), turn it for another minute, and it will be wonderful.

We tend to go on about the perfect steak, which I am sure is not discovered yet, and forget the less than perfect steak is usually damn good. And if you have already cooked it sous vide it should be way above average.

Perhaps sauté a few slices of those 1 oz of gold onions first with salt and pepper(I actually consider onions a spice in many dishes) and the steak and voila.

gteague
    Participant

i’m two hours ahead of her and most likely considerably older! but i was strictly nocturnal for most of 45 years and only last year had to shift around to be up during part of the day.

gteague
    Participant

hopefully this new burner and a few pans will open up my possibilities considerably. i know many things (like browning) can be done in the pc, but it’s obvious it’s a kludge or an afterthought and doesn’t go well for me. one problem is having to reach 6-10″ down into the pot to manipulate the meat. and also, as you know, i had some bugs with the saute setting although some of that could have been user error.

but now i won’t have to compromise on eggs and can do over easy, scrambled, and omelets. and i can brown the meat the way it’s supposed to be done.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I have company coming now. They heard about the curry. As you can guess news travels fast in the Yukon small communities.

Luckily I can always make more curry.

gteague
    Participant

i’m not a huge race fan, but was watching daytona this evening. about a 4 hour rain delay and it just now finished. horrifying crash at the finish line involving more than a dozen cars and one that got airborne and if not for a ‘catch fence’ would likely have killed dozens of fans. about the only part of the car that survived was the drivers cage, yet he walked away from it.

anyway, i’m hitting the rack. enjoy your curry!

Anonymous
    Participant

@Helen, You need to make things that don’t advertise their presence on the breeze. That way you might get some for yourself. ;)

@Guy,
    Yes you should be cooking with gas now (as the saying goes – not literally )
    I disagree with that steak cooking video on several points. It is very old school.
    YOu will notice that they didn’t cut the steak open.

Cook your steak SV, then just sear it in the pan. That way it will be done to your liking all the way through.

even if you are cooking all the way in the pan there are better methods. Current best practice is to turn the steak every 15 seconds. The crust builds up over time and because the outside just gets pulses of heat, the middle gets a chance to cook through before the outside is charred to ruination. It actually cooks faster this way too. My big book of cooking devotes several pages to this, but I have met it before elsewhere. I have tried it and it works well. Though not as well as SV.

Anonymous
    Participant

BTW any one who talks about sealing the moisture in doesn’t have a clue. This is an old myth that has been thoroughly debunked. Stop and think about it. A frying steak sizzles. The sizzle is water evaporating rapidly.

There is a lot to be said for salting early. I haven’t looked into this in detail, but effectively what you are doing is brining the meat. the result should be a more tender cut.

Add pepper at the end. Otherwise you just have burnt pepper. Not necessarily a bad thing, so experiment. Maybe some pepper at the start then a fresh hit at the end.

I do agree that steak is best cooked from room temperature, though I have seen stuff that contradicts that. More from a safety viewpoint than a cooking one. Bugs start to grow once the temperature rises above 4ºC. By bringing the steak to room temperature, you are inviting food poisoning. Less of a problem at home where you can control the time it is at room temp, than in a restaurant where the steak might sit for hours waiting for a customer.

I use pure olive oil all the time for cooking steak. Yes it smokes. That’s what exhaust fans are for. Ghee also works well. Butter tends to burn. but as mentioned makes for a lovely finish if tossed in at the end to pick up the “fond”. Also as mentioned in the video, you can use Balsamic to make the sauce. Or wine. Or beer. Or water or a combination. Avoid sticky fizz. That makes it too sweet IMO. And milk curdles. (Ick!)

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well the company has just left @ 2:04 AM. And I still have a smidgeon of curry (well a smidgeon of meat and sauce anyway, the potatoes and carrots are history) and a smidgen of rice, but I also have the leftover gigantic garlic chili prawns and cod from last nights supper. I think I will survive. How I will explain this to Carl I will worry about tomorrow.
    @greg
    Old school steak is for me you only turn it once. This was the rule in the best restaurants and still generally is. You judge the doneness by touch. This is still pretty valid if you have a thick enough steak, but often you don’t.

The newer techniques are often better but they are often abused or misunderstood. I had sous vide short ribs in a very popular expensive downtown Vancouver restaurant and they were mushy and dreadful. The people the next table had the temerity to complain just before I was going to do so, and the waiter actually took a piece from the plate, chomped it down ferociously and said, no these are good. That is how sous vide should be. I would have taken it further but was with a friend who would have been very uncomfortable (or so I thought until he told me not to tip). Anyway the restaurant is no longer in business.

A steak is almost always finished with butter in better restaurants in Canada, but I often neglect this step at home.

I have never heard of the 15 second thing but will probably give it a try.

I thought you used a torch?

Anonymous
    Participant

If I SV, I use a torch. If I cook conventionally, I flip very frequently. I will scan the relevant page and put it up. I am pretty sure it will come under fair use/study clause of copyright laws. Besides I have, and still recommend you get your own copy. Probably not until tomorrow though.

Anonymous
    Participant

Here is a link to the page. There is more on page 38 and 40, but the most relevant bits are the graphs on this page.
    Posted as a link as I used a high resolution photo so the text would be legible.
    Vol2 p39
    It is about 650kB

gteague
    Participant

and we’re back?

hopefully. at least i see posts i was notified about via email and wasn’t seeing them on the forums yesterday. so that’s hopeful … /guy

gteague
    Participant

haven’t been able to post for 24-36 hours (i know, i know–cruel and unusual punishment, right? [g]) but i was wanting to tell you that while i was watching the steak video that non-flipping thing was driving me absolutely nuts! as you might know, i’m anal and ocd and adhd and several other clinically neurotic terms and i just wouldn’t be able to stand not touching it.

so i did some research and one thing made sense to me although i don’t know if it’s true or not. several people said that this came from chain restaurants who had to train cheap labor to cook the steaks and they instructed these folks in this manner so they wouldn’t be checking all of them all the time or that with mass production there just wasn’t time to do it.

pouring rain here today. caught this weather wizard completely by surprise. luckily i finally got my yard mowed last night but my house is leaking like a leaky lifeboat and we are forecast at least another inch on top of the 1.5″ i’ve already logged. in dry west texas this much this fast causes flash flooding and i have a creek 100′ in one direction and another 100′ in the opposite direction, thus the name of my little rural subdivision: ‘twin creeks’.

hope the forum is back for now although i might lose my internet if this keeps up. already lost dish network.

gteague
    Participant

@greg: sorry i hadn’t replied to your post where you went to all the trouble to send us that great graph comparing one-flip vs multi-flip steaks.

as i said earlier, i’m way too ocd for the one flip method anyway and am delighted that i can back up my flippiness scientifically.

the only thing i note is that the one-flip at top seems to have a thicker ‘crust’ and the crust is some of the tastiest part to us charcoal-broiled well-done fans.

gteague
    Participant

does anyone have a site or a chart that might improve on this one i found? this one looks pretty good:

http://www.healthcraft.com/categories/recipes-instruction/induction-cooking-charts.html

whoever wrote this site keeps promoting a book (which supposedly includes these charts and more, but i cannot find it for sale anywhere, much less on this site! marketing genius, obviously:

“Induction Cooking for Better Health”

btw, did you guys know that amazon has one (1) book on induction cooking. except it doesn’t cover induction cooking. what’s up with this lack of books? people are buying these things, right? do they just all know by instinct how to cook on them? i mean, if a recipe tells me to melt butter or to boil water i need instructions on how to begin otherwise i’m very apt to turn things up to maximum so the water will boil faster just because i’ve never been told any different. me going freelance is a dangerous thing to contemplate. i’m bad enough when i try to improve on any technique i’ve been taught!

thanks! /guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Induction cooking is the same as any other older cooktop cooking except it is generally faster, requires the right pans and is digital instead of analog. You boil water the same way, fry an egg the same way, make soup/stew and a zillion other recipes the same way.

To make an induction cooker recipe book would be pointless except to earn the author extra bucks. There are dozens of variations of burners, from wire coil, to standard stovetops, ceramic, induction and a few I have probably never heard of and in China in the cities many people still use a charcoal stove which they store/use in the hallways. They have the fancy woks, the gigantic wok stoves with water taps built in, the street grills, the street things where they make Banh Cuen and the list could go on.

For say conservatively, 100 types of cooktops, with the most popular being manufactured by 100 manufacturers that would be a lot of cookbooks.

My point being that any old cookbook will do as long as it is a good cookbook, or internet recipes. Stoves vary, cooktops vary even the same model, manufacturer, some toasters work better than others.

you are at a slight disadvantage being new to cooktop cooking, but you have bigger advantages, less preconceptions, new shiny equipment, and a desire to have tasty healthy food. Plus it is often easier to start something with little experience as you will not be saying to yourself my old stove did not do this.

Crack those eggs, cook that omelette. For simplicity do it without the cheese/veg or with cheeses only. Pretty sure you will be delighted.

gteague
    Participant

i actually found a pretty good cookbook on my iphone the other day, and it’s sort of a funny story, but long, as all mine are wont to be …

back when apple started up the app store i was shopping away and i was downloading or buying medical reference apps since i suffer from a variety of medical gotchas. and i thought i clicked on the merck manual which is one of the highest rated medical references. but the dammed tiny little icons betrayed me and i had actually bought something called ‘how to cook everything’, about as useless to me at that time as a english<>sanskrit thesaurus.

now, apple doesn’t give refunds. but this app was $20 and i decided to give it a try. after all, the app store was brand new and i’d never asked for a refund and i’d bought at least a hundred or more apps by then. and, to my surprise, they agreed and didn’t even disable the cooking app or ask me to uninstall it.

so it has sat in the dump queue for years although it still got updated every now and then. and until we started talking cooking i’d forgotten all about it. needless to say, a few days ago i dug it out and re-installed it.

i’ve only looked at a couple of recipes, but the ones i looked at seemed much better at giving times and temps and specific information. hold on–let me look one up to confirm that … brb …

… i see it’s by ‘mark bittman’ which of course rings none of my bells …

…. first, it has a ‘kitchen basics’ module with:

| *equipment | *techniques | *ingredients | *basics of various dishes |

sections …

… one nice feature i see is that i can share the recipe about 10 different ways. what a breath of fresh air over other such apps which are fiercely protective of their data. so i’m emailing one to myself to see what it looks like …

… and here it is. the instructions seem clear and easy to follow although this one doesn’t give exact temperatures.

—————————————-
    Recipe:

Simplest Omelet
    By Mark Bittman
    From the How to Cook Everything® app

Introduction:

Omelets are ideal at breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner. This recipe is for a really basic omelet, cooked in one pan and shared. (For individual omelets, divide the ingredients in half and cook in batches.) But you can fill them with almost anything. The variations and list that follow range from classic (and usually simple) to a bit more complex; some are practically all‐in‐one meals.

Ingredients:

4 or 5 eggs
    2 tablespoons milk or cream (optional)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter or extra virgin olive oil
    Steps:

Beat the eggs with the milk and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Put a 10‐inch skillet over medium‐high heat and wait a minute. Add the 2 tablespoons butter or oil; when the butter melts or the oil is hot, swirl it around the pan until the butter foam subsides or the oil coats the pan, then pour in the egg mixture. Cook, undisturbed, for about 30 seconds, then use a rubber spatula to push the edges of the eggs toward the center. As you do this, tip the pan to allow the uncooked eggs in the center to reach the perimeter.
    Continue until the omelet is mostly cooked but still runny in the center, a total of about 3 minutes (you can cook until the center firms up if you prefer).
    There are a couple of ways to proceed. You can fold the omelet into thirds, using a large spatula, or just fold the omelet in half and slide it from the pan. Rub the top of the omelet with the remaining teaspoon of butter or oil and serve.
    Variations:

Spanish Omelet

Before cooking the omelet, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons chopped scallion or onion and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup chopped tomato and cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and keep warm. Add the tomato mixture, with a sprinkling of smoked paprika if you like, to the eggs—in a line along the axis on which you will fold or roll—about a minute before finishing the omelet.

Denver Omelet

Before cooking the omelet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons each of chopped onion and red bell pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in ½ cup chopped cooked ham and cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and keep warm. Add the ham mixture to the eggs—in a line along the axis on which you will fold or roll—about a minute before finishing the omelet.

Courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Copyright © Double B Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.
    ————————————

what do you think? this one seems to have hundreds of such recipes and in every category i find simple ones geared towards the beginner. i haven’t thought of the app yet because we’ve been doing pc and sv cooking and i haven’t needed a traditional cookbook until now.

btw, i do have an ipad although i don’t use it much. this app would probably be good to run on the ipad with the larger screen real estate.

Anonymous
    Participant

I’m with Helen.
    Cooking on an induction stove is the same as cooking on any other cooktop. The source of heat doesn’t matter. Just that the heat is there. The practical differences are that the burner itself does not get very hot and the speed of adjustment is faster than even gas.

That site was selling its own induction burners. The only way to get their cook book seems to be to buy one of their package deals. And it presumably will apply specifically to their cooktops. The numbers will be meaningless for your cooktop and pans.

Further, there were a number of errors of fact on that page. For example, they claim greater than 80% efficiency. The true figure is closer than 60%. Still better than conventional electric or gas, but not as high as those salesmen are claiming. Incidentally, you do get 80+% efficiency converting fuel to useful heat using sous vide.

Btw during the great private forum fiasco, I posted another copy of that graph that is clearer in its own thread.

Anonymous
    Participant

That actually looks pretty good. If I hadn’t just eaten lunch I’d go out to the kitchen and Cook me an omelet.

Not sure about the “medium high” though. You might want to play with that setting. But this sort of stuff is normal. For example, when Laura says “medium low” I have learned to use “low” on my stove. There is a learning curve with every cooktop as they all vary. If you burn stuff, turn it down. If it doesn’t cook in the time given, turn it up. After a while you will learn how your cooktop compares to the mythical average and adjust automatically.

Oh. One error. When you reduce the quality for an individual server you should ideally reduce the size of the pan too.
    Edit. And on your induction burner, waiting a minute or two will be way too long.

gteague
    Participant

i’ve discovered more jewels in that app. if either of you have an iphone or ipad i’d highly recommend it just based on what i’ve seen so far.

for instance, i just discovered that if they give a time, you click on it and a timer overlays the recipe. and since i have a wireless printer, i could print directly to it from the app. click on the ingredients link and it creates (or adds to) a shopping list with all ingredients and amounts listed. that alone is worth the price of admission to me!

and, i see the price has gone down to less than $15 since i bought it. it has a 5-star rating out of over 1300 raters with only 152 rating it lower … at 4-stars!

i don’t think i’ll need to buy any generalized cookbook after all. i need to drag out the ipad in order to take full advantage of it though. luckily i do have a stand for the ipad and the app locks the phone on so it doesn’t go into standby. so it will take up much less room on the counter than a cookbook since it’ll be vertical instead of horizontal.

couldn’t be more pleased to make this discovery. now i need eggs!

gteague
    Participant

found the physical copies along with a couple more by the same author. i like the idea of the ‘… fast’ one!

http://amzn.to/1G8pH2G

http://amzn.to/1Cqr2Y3

http://amzn.to/1G8pUTw

ok, i am set for life for generalized cookbooks. i went to the developers website and found two more cookbooks built on the same ‘engine’ as the first one–in other words, they have the same bookmark, shopping list, email, &c features as the original. i got ‘how to cook everything – the basics’ and ‘the joy of cooking’. they were $7 each which was less than 1/3rd the price of the hardback or the kindle versions which are way overpriced.

Anonymous
    Participant

I am curious about the metric conversions.

Have they been done sensibly or mathematically
    In other words is 1 pound of pasta equal to 454grams or 500grams?

There is a bundle on the iStore for two of the books for less than $20

gteague
    Participant

there is a setting to select metric. hold on and i’ll see what it looks like …

… it converts 1 lb pasta to 450 grams

… converted 28oz to 880 grams. close enough for government work?

gteague
    Participant

you realize one is a vegetarian cookbook, right?

Anonymous
    Participant

Nothing wrong with a few greens in the diet. ;P

That conversion is odd.
    The mathematically correct conversion is 454 grams. Most fuzzy conversions take it to 500g. But I guess to the nearest 50g (1oz) is reasonable. Or maybe the UK pound is 454g and the U.S. Pound is actually 450g. I know the volume measures are different maybe the weight measures are too. Conversions. Sigh. Crashed any space probes recently?

HelenAdams
    Participant

Canada went metric in the Trudeau years. Unfortunately most things are still sold by Imperial measurements. Butter is 454g, past is 908g, and cans vary, but are the same sizes/amounts as before the conversion.

I can understand manufacturers not wanting to change their can sizes, but many new methods and/or sizes of packaging have been introduced in the last 35 years. There are very few actual metric even sizes. Alcohol and milk products and oil/gas and soda are by the litre. So we are a bit confused at times.

One new trend is selling meat by the piece count such as 4 steaks, or 4 chicken legs with no weight. I recently bought chicken legs sold in packages of 4 all at the same price. I took 10 of them to a scale and two were double the weight of most of the other eight. These were a store packaged special so I guess they just slapped them in and wrapped them. This was a good deal for me but not so good for all.

Generally the packages are pretty similar in weight as they are factory packaged and it is upselling by convincing you that $2.50for a six oz. steak is a better buy than paying $5.00 a lb. for the same steak with 4 extra ounces.

gteague
    Participant

when you get a texas rancher to claim that his prize steer is 453 kg instead of 1000 lbs then we will be metric. that will be just after hell freezes over.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hell has already frozen over. Read your Dante.

I grew up with imperial measures. We started the conversion process in 1966 with currency and officially finished the process in the 1990s. There are still a few hold outs though. TVs are still sized in inches. As are picture frames. Though they measure differently. Pressures are still usually psi. But that’s about it. We do still have some odd metric sizes though. Beer is sold in 375ml bottles/cans. Wine in 750ml. Timber is sold in 300mm (~1ft) increments. Tuna is sold in 95, 185g etc cans though that last has more to do with profiteering than imperial hangovers. 4oz cans became 114g. Which were rounded with much “we’re going properly metric” fanfare to 100g. Not 125g you’ll notice. And no adjustment in price of course. Then much more quietly to 95g. Again no price change. A few then went to 85g. Then when they didn’t sell went back to 95g with much trumpeting about 10% more.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Sounds much the same as Canada. I am fortunate in that I can mentally calculate the price per 100 grams etc. but most people can’t. My sister will pick out the 100g can that is perhaps 2 cents cheaper than the 114g. Or even when the next size up is the same price. For her there is small, medium and large. And here sometimes small is cheaper than the large economy size with its 50%+ more. And don’t get me started on case sales. Rarely are they cheaper than buying individual cans even at regular retail.

gteague
    Participant

test

gteague
    Participant

yeah, isn’t it amazing that one pound of things like coffee are now 8oz and sell for the same price or higher? it’s miracle math!

Viewing 46 posts - 61 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.