home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! Trivet…when to use it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cangal4413
    Participant

I am new to cooking with a pressure cooker and so what is probably very basic knowledge to most users is to me a little daunting. I was wondering when to use the trivet that comes with my Instant pot. I wanted to try a roast of beef , but was unsure whether or not I should put it on the trivet or right down into the water? Thanks in advance for your help!

Anonymous
    Participant

You could do either.
    Basically you use the trivet when you want to keep something out of the liquid. It will steam rather than boil and as a result will cook slightly slower as the heat transfer from steam is slower than from water.

As you are new, I suggest you follow a known good recipe for your first few forays. Once you get a feel for what you are doing, by all means go off piste. But know what you are doing first.

Here is a recipe of Laura’s for a pot roast. I haven’t tried it, but It looks great, and I have no doubt Laura tried it at least several times in different PCs before listing it. I am sure it will work well:
    >>Laura’s Pot Roast<<

As it happens she has cooked it without a trivet, but she does a two stage cook, braising the meat then adding the veggies for a final blast. Only one pot to wash up. Sounds good to me.

Cangal4413
    Participant

Thanks for your help, Greg!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.