home Forums Pressure Cookers Using Elite Platinum 8qt pressure cooker as a slow cooker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Participant

I want to use my pressure cooker for slow cooking. The Elite Platinum has a “Slow Cook” setting on it. Generally slow cookers have a high setting (cooking time ~4hrs) and a low setting (cooking time ~8hrs). My question is which setting does it compare to? ie. does it cook similar to low or high?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Can you give me the model number? The “Elite Platinum” I see for sale on amazon, says in the description that it has a Slow Cook setting, but neither the manual nor the control panel actually discuss or display that setting.

http://amzn.to/2ygjGrO

Ciao,

L

PJ
    Participant

The model number is EPC-678SS

http://amzn.to/2zivSXx
    Thank you

PJ
    Participant

Gave it a test run, took 4 hours for lamb shanks so looks like it’s more of a high setting.

Greg
    Participant

good to know PJ. I was coming back to suggest you try just that. I had a look at the link you gave. It doesn’t look as though there is a way to adjust anything other than time. You could perhaps use delay start so it is ready when you get home, but I hesitate suggesting don’t advise that you leave meat at room temperature all day.

As is the case with so many of these multicookers; the phrase “jack of all trades – master of none” comes to mind.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

PJ, generally if a “multi cooker” has a single Slow Cooker setting – it’s usually “high”.

I tracked down the manual, and though the model is lacking at least they documented all the temperature settings in it. I added it to the site’s database with my notes on it – and specifically the slow cooker setting..

Elite Platinum 11-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker EPC-678

Here is the excerpt that pertains to you…

The slow cooker function only has one heat setting which cooks at 180°F which is the equivalent of the “high” slow cooker setting. Although it is not possible to change the slow cooker setting to “low”, the cooker also features a “Keep warm” function that cooks at a range between 140-175°F – this setting could be used to slow cook at “medium”. So, for example, something that would slow cook on “low” for 8 hours would only take 4 hours on “high” and 6 hours on “medium”.

I’m seeing a growing trend here, on reddit, and Facebook groups from people asking about actually using these multi cookers to multi-cook. Manufacturers will be held to task on making this function work better in future versions.

Specifically, since these cookers already have a “brain” they could easily add more elaborate slow cooking programs to address and automate the special needs for slow cooking beans and meat.

Ciao,

L

Greg
    Participant

Laura,
    I think the trouble is most of these small appliances are designed as much by the marketing team as the engineers and cooks.
    They like to add as many “functions” as possible to the front of the box so they can sell them to as many people as possible. Once they are out the door, they don’t seem to care about the actual performance.

I don’t exclude the high end brands like Breville from this criticism – I can’t comment on IP. Just the other day my brother sent me a link to a new appliance by Breville. It is basically a glorified egg cooker similar to the ones back in the 1970’s but blinged up. They claimed it had Sous Vide capability, but they also said it would hold a maximum of 6 eggs. I cannot see the sous vide functionality being of any real use. It is unstirred and the size of the pot will mean that it will have real trouble maintaining a stable temperature. Not to mention being able to cook for more than one. They also failed to mention what sort of temperatures it could maintain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.