home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! water amount for dried beans

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lee Rouse
    Participant

I followed the quick soak method for prepping my dried red beans for pressure cooking. I used 4 cups of water to 1 cup of beans, pressure cooked 2 minutes, removed from heat and rinsed with cold water. I put the beans back into the cooker. I wasn’t sure how much water to add, so I added until there were a total of 3 cups of water this time. The beans cooked nicely in 10 minutes, but there was a LOT of liquid in the pot, almost as if the beans hadn’t soaked up any more water. What should the proper ratio of water to beans be in order to only have a little liquid in the beans when they are finished cooking? It seems like 4:1 is too much.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Lee, if you quick-soaked the bean you really need the water level for “soaked” beans. That’s about 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of measured dried beans that have been soaked or quick-soaked or just enough to cover (as long as it meets your pressure cooker’s minimum liquid requirement).

Remember never to fill the pressure cooker more than 1/2 full with beans and cooking liquid!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.