home Forums Beginner Basics Water in the Pot….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    WithBrio
    Participant

Since I’m still a relative newb to this whole Pressure Cooking thing (although I already love, love LOVE it!) I thought I’d confess to one of my first and scariest early mistakes…

I was tired of cleaning the pressure cooker pot after making (super fast) rice in it, so I decided to try cooking rice in a Pyrex dish inside the pressure cooker (like I’d read about). Being totally new to pressure cooking, what I did NOT realize, stupidly, was that I had to put water in the bottom of the pressure cooker too, not just in with the rice… so I cooked a dry pressure cooker for a good 25 minutes, wondering why the pressure just wouldn’t come up (!!!) before my husband came along and said “IS THERE ANY WATER IN THERE?!?!?!”

Oops.

Anyways, nobody died and the pressure cooker still works like a champ, so I guess all’s well that ends well :) And I won’t make that mistake again!!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ooops!

I destroyed a very expensive cooker this way – the base of it changed color to “bronze” and the heat transmitted to the lid “killed” the pressure valve.

Definitely check the gasket to make sure its still supple – you may have inadvertently shortened its life a bit – but the cost of a gasket is at least much less than a whole cooker!!!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.