home Forums Request Line What quick videos would you like to see?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

We finally have some free time to experiment with videos (the future hip cookbook manuscript and photos are sitting on the publisher’s desk).

We won’t do anything too fancy, as we figure out the taping, editing and publishing.

We already have some ideas about what to do for the first couple of trials, but since I have some time before getting started I wanted to put the question out to you, dear readers and cooks, if there are any requests for a recording on a particular subject.

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I got two requests from Google Plus, to do a video on pressure cooker risotto.

Anyone else?

Ciao,

L

Queezle
    Participant

I have a suggestion — I have a Fagor pressure cooker, and I always wonder when exactly to start timing. The dang thing makes steam for a while, the little button rises, but then it still takes a while to really get going. I wonder if all the machines have some ambiguity with respect to when they are truly up to pressure? Probably this is not feasible (how many different pressure cookers do you have?), but it is one of those vague annoying things that does keep me from doing more cooking in my pressure cooker.

ellexesse
    Participant

I would agree. I have an larger Favor but hate using it as I am never quite sure how much the steam valve should be hissing I.e. when is it at high pressure exactly? Also, I’d love to see you do a stew/Daub etc with a tomato base as I always chicken out on how little water to add, thinking it will stick, which results in soup!

Anonymous
    Participant

Fagor pressure cooker owners: use the highest heat to bring it up pressure. Lower the heat and start timing when steam flows strongly from the dial. Make sure the lid is locked and the dial is on 1 or 2 (low or high pressure respectively). Set the heat between low and medium to maintain a constant and gentle flow of steam from the dial.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Great suggestions everyone – for the Fagor-specific questions I think I saw a video somewhere from Fagor that showed a cooker reaching pressure. Will hunt around for it.

I have about 10 different pressure cooker brands and several models of each so it might be an interesting project to record each one reaching and releasing pressure. But there are some things all cookers have in common when reaching pressure so I’m thinking how a cooker reaches pressure and problems one might encounter are all good fodder for a future infographic, too.

OK, so far for recipe requests I have risotto and a tomato-based stew.

ellexsesse, In the meantime, if you’re concerned about tomato sticking for your next tomato-based recipe you can bring the contents inside the cooker to a boil in the un-covered cooker (it’s usually just a minute or two more than bringing a sealed cooker to a boil). Then, slap on the lid and it will begin to reach and build pressure almost immediately.

Keep the ideas coming!

Ciao,

L

ellexesse
    Participant

Thanks for the tips – I really love this site!
    How about a curry dish, perhaps using a ready made curry paste or masala mix? I love curries, but measuring out all the spices takes too long for a week day dish. Indian sites often use a pressure cooker, but they use whistles to indicate the timing so it would be great to have you help out with conversion. Maybe better suited to an article? Keep up the great work.
    Laura

Anonymous
    Participant

Could you make a video showing the “non stick secret” of searing and deglazing meat in the pressure cooker pan? :)

I think it’s worth telling viewers why it’s necessary to sear the meat and deglaze the pan i.e. flavour and appearance, Maillard reaction etc.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, great ideas – I could incorporate the tips in a recipe or do a “tips” section.

Great idea about whistling pressure cooker conversions – I’ve answered questions in various forums about that but never wrote a real tip on the website about it.

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, I did a test run last week – it’s a little choppy and I’m a bit nervous but I think you’ll like it.

PERFECT Pressure Cooker Risotto:

I’ve since purchased a new camera and a special mic so the next video should be more pleasant to watch and hear. Also, I’ll switch the camera angle a bit so you don’t get to see my “B side” so often. The next video recipe will be a tomato-based dish (for ellexesse) made in a Fagor (for queezle). I’ll show the sped-up version of that cooker reaching pressure, too. Does that look helpful?

David, third video will be some kind of meat dish, with browning no-stick tips – choose your favorite recipe from the website and I’ll do that one. : )

Glad for any feedback on this first one – especially constructive feedback. This is just a first video and I have a lot to learn!!

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

I would like to see a video of your bolognese sauce. Milk in p.c. scares me as does flour.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Bolognese sauce does not include either milk or flour – just a dash of cream at the end after pressure cooking.

It’s a great idea to discuss flour in the pressure cooker because too much will thicken the liquid and cause it to burn on the base – but just a tad is fine.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.