home Forums Pressure Cookers when to start cooking times..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    vincitytaymodaimo
    Participant

When it reaches high pressure, the red pressure spring pops up. However, I generally keep it on med-high heat for another few minutes in order to achieve a steady level of steam.

My question is as follows: when I am following cook timing for recipes, should I start the time count when the spring pops or when it reaches a steady steam? High pressure on the MIU cooker is about 11.6 psi, so I’m still trying to learn how to adapt recipes, which are all designed for 15 psi cookers (I usually just add 25% to time).

Greg
    Participant

I am not familiar with your brand, but usually with stovetop pressure cookers, there is a two stage signal. First up, the lid locks. This is often achieved by a button popping up. This prevents you from turning the lid to take it off. Some time later there will be a second signal that indicates that pressure has been reached. this may be a ring or bar showing, or may simply be a release of steam. You should start timing from this second signal. So it sounds like you are doing it right.

As for using an 11.6 PSI PC, this is the same as using a 15 PSI at about 6,000 altitude. The altitude corrections (on this site and elsewhere) will give you the correction you need. But 20 – 25% sounds about right. As a quick tip on this site, Electrics usually cook at about this pressure, so simply use the timing for electrics. This won’t work for every recipe as Electrics lose pressure more slowly than stovetops, but it will work for most.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.