home Forums Problems or Issues Where has Laura been?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  alclubb 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Guys, I’ve been MIA for at least a couple of months. I’ve tried my best to keep up with comments, etc. I have not completely disappeared. I’ve been dealing with family issues at home and most recently a serious illness.

I spent the week before and after Thanksgiving in the hospital recovering from acute pancreatitis which – thankfully – did not damage any other organs. I will have surgery soon (I’m guessing Christmas time) and then I should be back to normal. Except…

.. while I was in the hospital totally by random accident they discovered I have a cyst the size of a grapefruit in my chest. After the first surgery, we’re going to figure out what this grapefruit is all about and whether it’s always been there or it has to come out, too.

All of this a total shock as I’ve been without health problems my entire life and I had ZERO digestive problems or symptoms before having what I thought was a “stomach flu”. The hardest part for me has been to stop all of my sports – I went a little crazy this summer and doubled from just Karate and Aerobics to adding MMA and weightlifting. : )

When I get my strength back up I’m hoping to make more recipe videos and share some of the neat recipes and techniques that I had saved up for the third book that I never got around to publishing. I also want to start sharing some fo the slow cooker recipes I have perfected and hip-ified with Mediterranean ingredients. Plus, I’ve got a whole bunch of hands-off sheet-pan toaster oven meals that I’ve been making for those busy nights that even sauteing an onion sounds like too much.

Lots of fun stuff coming… maybe not immediately. One small step at a time as I feel better and get stronger.

Love and miss you guys!!!

Ciao,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. A friend of mine’s brother got sudden pancreatitis while quite healthy, and it was definitely a sudden wild ride for him. (But he got better.) I had something grab me suddenly this summer and it was so weird to abruptly be someone who doesn’t walk fast or run or swim and who sees doctors and takes pills. (Am almost well, though.) Here’s to getting though these weird unasked for adventures and coming out of them healthy ASAP.

Hang in there. Hope hubby — or kids — are rising to the occasion in the kitchen. Looks like you’ve got some great plans for us when you feel better.

Greg
    Participant

That’s terrible news Laura. I know from personal experience that pancreatitis is not pleasant. I had it a few years ago, but in my case it was caused by an errant gallstone. They removed the gallstone and the gall bladder for good measure and no more problems. Of that kind anyway. Sadly I have been in and out of hospital myself most of this year on unrelated health issues.

Here’s wishing you a swift and complete recovery.

Suzanne
    Participant

Sorry to hear you, too, have been under the weather, Greg. Your regular voice on this site is always so helpful. I personally will be glad to see the end of 2018, with hopes of a better 2019.

Greg
    Participant

Thanks Suzanne
    I am officially in remission now so hopefully all will be well intot he future.

Suzanne
    Participant

I’m very glad to hear it, Greg. You have had a challenging year. May your recovery keep you knocking out enviable meals in your smartly upgraded kitchen for many years to come. :-)

And I hope Laura’s surgery has gone well. Hard to imagine being in the hospital during Christmas. Hopefully she’s snug at home and recovering by now.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

So glad you’re doing better Greg. Thanks Suzanne!

Well… they still haven’t called me in for the surgery. So I’m just here waiting trying not to get another inflammation. : ) Also, trying not to go out of my mind with boredom as I had to give up my four sports for now (karate, mma, aerobics and weightlifting) and swap them for just a walk – which by itself wears me out.

But… not one to do things halfway. I started to add parkhour moves to my walk: “avoiding” poles by swinging left and right, jumping over cement benches, balancing on road blocks (in a parking lot) and swinging over metal barriers. Yes… at my age I turn some heads. But who cares. Life is short. I think they only look because they want to do it, too. : )

Also since July family stuff going on at home. I can’t talk about it now… but if you saw my latest video and you really like to look at my hands, then you already have an idea. And, unlike, the ilness and surgery, this is a positive thing.

Can’t wait for a TOTALLY brand new 2019!!

Ciao,

L

P.S. The manufacturers have been amazing. One CEO wrote me a generic e-mail on behalf of the company wishing me a speedy recovery. Another CEO actually called me on the phone, and wanted to know how I was doing, offered me their full support and told me they want to work on more projects with me.

Damn… when things get difficult, the really good people really make their presence known.

arschulte
    Participant

Hi Laura,

First let me wish you well and that you get back to good health as soon as possible.

I just joined today and have only been pressure cooking for a couple of months. I am so grateful to have found this site. I have had two unmitigated disasters (1 in my Instant Pot look alike (a Corsi) and one in my stovetop Fagor Cayenne 8 quart. And that’s out of 6 cooking attempts! But I persist because I am convinced I can substitute pressure cooking for my expensive Hello Fresh subscription on busy nights.

Thanks to you and to this community in advance for your support!

Alice

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, and welcome Arschulte.

I just wanted to update you that I just came home from the hospital, yesterday. I had my gall bladder removed and I’m on the mend. I hope to be more actively participating as I recuperate and things settle down at home.

((((HUGS))) to everyone and thank you for your support!!

Ciao,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

Welcome back! What a relief it must be to be home. Hope the kids are helpful while your soreness subsides. May your healing be quick so you can get back to the sports you miss soon.

alclubb
    Participant

All good thoughts on your recovery from gallbladder surgery. I had mine out several years ago and have not had any problems at all, other than I can no longer eat peanut butter. I love peanuts and peanut butter, but just can’t do it now that the gallbladder is gone. But, I’ll give up peanut butter to be free of those horrible attacks. Hopefully by now you are up and feeling more like yourself. Hugs from Texas.

Greg
    Participant

It is strange how gall bladder removal affects people in different ways. I had no ill effects. My sister in law can no longer eat cooked capsicum (bell peppers) but raw is OK. My sister can no longer eat any fatty foods. That one hurts – figuratively.

alclubb
    Participant

My husband has no problem eating anything either. It’s weird. I can eat any other kind of nuts, but not peanuts.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

So far I’m good on the peanut butter and peppers… but I’ve heard of someone not being able to eat hazelnuts or chocolate (Nutella : ). I’ll have to see how it goes.

This week I started back up with aerobics, and am attending the MMA lessons. In a couple of weeks I’ll be re-starting Karate as well. No more weightlifting… for now.

Also… I lost 16 kilos (about 35 pounds)- yup, that’s me in the profile foto doing Yoga. At first, I was kind of terrified at the speed of the change but now I’m terrified the kilos will come back! Ultimately, I need to stop being terrified of unimportant things.

I already have two recipes that I want to publish and now that I can start carrying pressure cookers around I should be able to film them soon (yaay!).

Ciao,

L

alclubb
    Participant

I am looking forward to the new recipes. And, sounds like you are really progressing and getting back to all of your activities. Yes, stop being terrified of unimportant things. There are too many really important things that we can worry about.

Ann

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.