home Forums Pressure Cookers Kuhn Rikon Where to find pressurecooker 15psi or more ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Megannkaa
    Participant

Hi , I want to ask You something :) I want to buy Kuhn Rikhon hipper pressure cooker but I can’t find with 15 psi or more. Coul You be nice and answer where in Uk Can I find good One and which size will be better to 3 person family ? 6 , 7, 8 litres ?
    Thank You very much

Anonymous
    Participant

You will not find a pressure cooker above 15 psi. To the best of my knowledge they are just not made by anyone. the European standard is actually 14.5 psi. The American ones go to a nominal 15 psi, but in practical terms this difference is negligible and can be ignored.

Kuhn Rikon Pressure cookers all use the same system. They are about 13 psi. Though you can fudge the pressure a bit by letting the indicator go a bit above the mark.
    I cannot tell you if it is 15psi or not though. I use mine quite happily and while I need to apply a correction for altitude (I am at 1000m), I do not need to worry about timings for a “non standard” pressure cooker. I do know that Laura’s tests KR reached 119ºC while the “15 psi” Magefesa only reached 117ºC indicating that its true operating pressure is LOWER than KR.

In the UK, I have used the Cookability site for Kuhn Rikon. I find them quite good. Click on the highlighted text to go there. Or follow Laura’s shopping links at the right.

For a family of three, I would suggest a 6 litre PC to start with. I usually cook for a family of two and most often use the 2.5 litre frypan style model. If you get a 24cm 6 litre and decide you would like to add a frypan later, the lids will be compatible. Of course if you go with a narrower base then the pot will be a little taller which will help with roasts, and advanced “pot in pot” techniques for things like cakes. I have a larger PC for those tasks, but it is not my everyday PC. Note that the frypan style is NOT a pressure frier. It just makes the saute step at the beginning of many recipes a little easier as it is easier to turn the meat. I have a personal preference for short handles as I think they are inherently safer. No enticing handle sticking out for a toddler to climb up on.

If you really MUST use a true 15 psi cooker, though I cannot think why, then you will need to look at another brand. Start with Laura’s reviews and check the temperatures reached in the charts. If it doesn’t reach 121ºC then it doesn’t reach 15 psi.

Anonymous
    Participant

Actually, If you can afford it, I would seriously consider this set:
    https://www.cookability.biz/duromatic-inox-duo-set-24cm/b_8177.htm

Megannkaa
    Participant

Thank You Greg this is most helpful.
    I’ve asked about Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker more than 15psi becouse I’ve found on Internet article about psi in pressurecooker . That was an information about cocker pressure from 15psi are the best one that’s why I’ve started to searching Kuhn Rikon higher than 15psi. I don’t remember that website but was an American website. They have suggested Kuhn Rikon from US Amazon .
    I found good article here and there is written about Kuhn Rikon Duromatic which is going to 17.4 psi but also there are suggesting from Amazon.us website. That’s why I’m confused.
    I want to start to cooking bone brothe for my BabyGirl – someon told Me ” buy pressure cooker – for prepare a 24 hour bone broth u need only 2 hours with good pressure cooker ”
    This is the link to website where is about KR PC 17.4psi.

Pressure Cooker Review: Kuhn Rikon Duromatic

Anonymous
    Participant

That article is referring to the pressure at which the emergency pressure relief valves open. This in NOT the pressure you cook at. The high cooking pressure mark on the KR is at 0.8 bar —about 13psi. Because of the design of the KR PC, it is possible to go above that level safely. But you should NEVER push it so high that the emergency systems kick in. It is difficult to say exactly what pressure that is, but the temperature graph on the page you link to indicates that it reaches nearly 15psi.

The Kuhn Rikon is special in that is very nearly fully sealed. Almost nothing escapes. As a result it needs very little water to operate. The manual claims 50 ml. By comparison, many others claim to need a minimum of 350 ml. What this means when making stock is that the flavour is trapped inside the PC, making the stock taste better than even one cooked for 24 hours in an open pot. There is an article out there that does a direct comparison between two different PCs and and an open pot. The KR won hands down in a blind tasting. Interestingly, the open pot came second. Sadly I cannot find the link right now. Perhaps @laura can help out.

The downside of this very effective sealing is that it is somewhat more tricky to maintain pressure at a stable level. You need to precisely set the heat to match the pressure. Other PCs vent a bit at full operating pressure. This helps maintain a stable pressure, but means you need to have the heat a little higher and of course you lose more steam and flavour.

I live in Australia so I don’t have first hand experience about pressure cookers in either Europe or the U.S. I have bought from both though. I can assure you that KR supply the same models to both markets. Though they do change the names. The one I bought from the U.S. Has exactly the same manual as the one I bought from England. Both state that the second ring is marked at 0.8bar. Both state that the minimum liquid to add is 50ml. That despite the fact that the U.S. One was 2.5l and the UK one was 12l.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have tracked down that article I mentioned. Sort of. It doesn’t exist anymore.

This makes interesting reading though. And it references the article I remembered several times ( none of the links work) so I know I didn’t imagine it.
    http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/41393/would-pressure-cooking-stock-create-a-different-result

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Megan, Kuhn Rikon makes the same pressure cooker models world-wide. The Duromatic in the US is the same as the Duromatic in Australia, or Germany, or South Africa.

The look might be slightly different for the local cookware buyers, but the mechanics are the same.

You can use the amazon links at the bottom of the review (which will give this website a small support) or go to your local cookware store to purchase a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic and you will get the same pressure cooker.

You also asked about what size pressure cooker you should buy. I, personally, recommend starting with a 6L (Kuhn Rikon offers only 5 and 7 but the size difference is negligible). If you can afford it, get the set with two bases that share a lid.

If you’d like to know more, here is an article I wrote about how much you can fill a pressure cooker:

Pressure Cooker FAQ: filling the pressure cooker

..and another one about all of the different sizes and shapes:

Does pressure cooker size matter? Of course!

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

@Laura
    Kuhn rikon do make a 6 litre model number 3017 is one example. There are others.
    From the cookability site:
    https://www.cookability.biz/m/p_5403.htm

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Greg, it depends where you are and which model you purchase. The long-handled Duromatics only come in 2.5,5 and 7L sizes. The short-handled “Duromatic Family Style” come in different sizes.

Megan, both of those styles use the same pressure valve.

Please note that purchases at your local cookware store and cookability do not support this website – but we’ll teach you how to pressure cook, anyway. ; )

Thanks,

L

Suzanne
    Participant

Just to clarify, on the Kuhn Rikon Review, Laura posted that this PC achieved a temperature of 247 degrees F. Isn’t that within a hair’s distance of 15 psi? So is a Kuhn Rikon cooker at 13 or 15 psi effectively when cooking on High? Just wondering.

Also, I use a KR on a cheap electric stove. It was not difficult to find the “sweet spot” for maintaining pressure when I started using the cooker. And it is rock solid at maintaining pressure. Electric stoves seem to be universally dissed in online cook forums, but I have found mine to be ideal with my KH pressure cooker. So in my world, a KR cooker is not fussy and an electric stove is optimal. I’m just balancing the reporting, here!

Megannkaa
    Participant

Thanks a lot Greg and Laura , Suzanne.
    You’ve gave Me very good and interesting information which are very helpful.
    I’m new with pressure cooking and hope to get useful information there:)
    Thank You :)

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes it is virtually 15psig. In fact it comes closer than other PCs that claim to be 15psig.
    But the devil is in the detail. There are two marks on the pressure regulating stem of the KR. According to the manual the second mark is calibrated at 0.8 bar (12psig). However this is with the mark just breasting the top of the housing. Most cooks, myself included, actually have the mark above the housing when cooking at high pressure. This means that we are actually cooking above 12psig and below 17.4psig where the over pressure venting cuts in. Exactly what the pressure is depends on how high you go.

By contrast, I have used one dial type pressure cooker. Specifically the new IKEA model. This started venting when the pressure reached the set point. Which means you have to cook at or below the set pressure. (I don’t recall the pressure claimed) this has the advantage of making it easier to keep the pressure on target, but it uses more water, making it less efficient. It also loses aromatics along with the steam which means that the food won’t be as flavourful.

By “electric” I assume you mean an old style heating element cooker. Induction cookers are also electric. A fact that seems to escape most people.

Old style electrics have a number of shortcomings. They also have a number of advantages over gas. They are dissed because of the shortcomings. The main one of which is that they are slow to react. They take a relatively long time to come up to heat. And a similarly long time to cool down. By contrast, gas is instantly hot, and when you turn it down, it goes down immediately. There is nothing holding the heat. This means if you want to bring something to a rolling boil then drop it to a simmer, it is very difficult to do on an electric. Mind you it is difficult to do on gas too as gas will always have a spot of intense heat. It just gets smaller when you turn it down. Most of the pan is cooler instantly, but there will always be a hot spot. For a true low simmer, electric is far superior to gas. You want this when pressure cooking.

You can get around this downside of electrics very simply. Just use two hobs. One set high, and one low. When you want to turn the heat down, just move hobs. It is wasteful of electricity though. And it is not easy to quickly adjust just a little bit.

I actually run a dual fuel stove. I use electric for simmering and gas for frying and boiling.

Induction has the advantage of the quick response of gas combined with the excellent simmer of electric. He downside is that it runs on electricity too. For me that is a deal breaker as my electricity supply is less than reliable.

Suzanne
    Participant

Greg, I confess I don’t ever use the 2 burner method recommended for electric stoves. It’s just an extra, unnecessary step in my kitchen. As soon as the red line indicating high pressure barely clears the lid, I turn down the heat to maintenance level (usually between 2 and 3 on the dial if the PC is reasonably full), slide the PC off the electric coil, and keep it propped between the far edge of the coil and the slightly raised lip of the forward part of the stovetop, thus with an airspace beneath, for about 10 seconds — one handed. Then I slide it back on the burner. The red line usually rises a hair more to look like the “high” bar illustrated in the KR manual. Then the pressure is stable. So easy. Never have come close to overpressure doing this. No need to start a second burner.

I grew up learning to cook on a gas stove and have had several in my adult life alternating with electric coil stoves. I’ve not objected to switching back and forth, probably because what I cook on stovetop — legume-based stews, stocks, whole grains, and fish — doesn’t demand quick burner response. (For fish, I just raise the skillet for a few seconds while the burner catches up, no big deal.) If I want any pot, including the PC, to heat faster, I just nuke most of the liquid in the microwave while the rest heats on the stove, and pour the steaming liquid in. This speeds things up nicely. I’ve lusted in my heart for an induction burner, but when I ask the needs vs. wants question, I can’t think of a problem I’m having the induction burner would solve.

However, I’ve also lusted in my heart for a smaller PC (mine is 6 liters) and unfortunately my local IKEA does not sell the PCs you so kindly gifted your former son-in-law. (Lucky him!) The smaller KR on the link you provided above has me so envious of the Brits. I haven’t seen that one sold in the U.S. A girl can dream . ..

Anonymous
    Participant

Actually, I am in Australia. Not Britain. I posted the link to the UK website as at the time they were not available in Australia either. I probably bought the first ones sold in Australia. I certainly bought them in the morning of the day they hit the shelves here. The website took a couple of weeks to catch up.

I suspect they will become available in the U.S. They are probably just stuck in some testing program.

You appear to be lucky with your electric coils. The electric stove in the house I live now when we bought it was painful in the extreme. You could still put your hand on the burner (any burner) five minutes after it was turned to full. It eventually heated up though and once it did, a pot of water would continue to boil vigorously a full fifteen minutes after it was turned off. Great for pasta. Not much use for anything else. It was replaced in pretty short order. I can only assume the previous owners never cooked.

I dropped in a combined gas electric unit. Gas for the adjustability and immunity to blackouts. Electric for the simmering capability. I did look long and hard at induction which was just coming on to the market here at the time, but our dodgy power supply pushed me to gas.

Good tip about just using the edge of the burner. Maybe @Laura will add it to her adjustments for cooker types page. It may present a tip hazard though. Straddling between two burners may be a better option if there are small children around.

Suzanne
    Participant

I was noting that price was in pounds at Cookability, so assumed it was a British website. No mistaking you for anything but Australian! ;-)
    You DID get a lemon of an electric stove. Never had one nearly so dorky. You were pranked by the cosmos.
    I did contact KR in the U.S. about the smaller pan (2.5 l) in the set you linked to, and they said that they can special order any cooker model not already sold in the U.S. (Although if the pot is part of a set, may not be able to get it separately.) Woo Hoo! Sky’s the limit!
    I like my one-burner electric stove method. The pot isn’t tippy, and it wants to slide to the lowest contact point, which is the stovetop. I’m standing there with one hand on one handle for the 10-20 seconds, (too short a time to wander off and do anything else) so it doesn’t go anywhere. But electric stovetops come in different layouts, so I doubt it would be advisable to recommend it for all electric stoves.

Anonymous
    Participant

I bought the short handled variant of the 2.5 litre frypan from Amazon in the US. Yes I used Laura’s link but did not buy the pot it linked to directly. At the time, the UK site only had the long handled version.

culmore
    Participant

So can I conclude that a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker will give me the highest pressure? I am buying in Europe and I live at high altitude in Kenya 6,400 feet. So I am keen to get as much pressure as I can.

PS Wonderful web site.

Greg
    Participant

No.
    Pretty much all European stovetop pressure cookers will be set to the same 14.5 PSI standard. There are a few exceptions so you will need to check each brand carefully. A few can be fudged to get slightly higher pressure out of them. (The ones with an indicator bar)

The old fashioned weight controlled ones from America will give you slightly higher (15 PSI) pressure. But they are noisy and use both more energy and water.

What you need to avoid are Electric Pressure cookers as they maintain a significantly lower pressure.

Having said that, I love my Kuhn Rikons. I have three.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.