home Forums Pressure Cookers Kuhn Rikon Which size for single person?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    salutistagolosa
    Participant

I am totally in love with my Kuhn-Rikon, so want to get one for my mum as a present. Although she may want to cook for friends very occasionally, she lives alone. She also has space problems in the kitchen. My question is: would a 2.5 litres be sufficient for the job, including say risotto for 6, or would a 3.5 litres be more flexible (or are both of them too small)?
    Many thanks!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

This is wonderful that you want to share this cooking method with your mother!

If you are going to use the basic risotto recipe, for six that would be one and a half recipes or a total of 9 cups of ingredients in volume.

Since it is a rice dish, the rice and liquids should not fill the pressure cooker more than half. That means that minimum, she should get a pressure cooker that can accommodate 18 cups of volume – and that works out to 4.5L size.

If budget was no limit, I would recommend getting her the 5 & 2.5L set. That way she can use the smaller base when she’s by herself and the larger one when she’s entertaining. When she’s not using them, they can stack in a nice vertical column (large base, lid upside-down and small base). Plus, they can take the space of a large pasta pot and small saute’ pan.

Take a peek at my article about pressure cooker size and capacity, too. If you scroll down you’ll see a table that works out how many servings of rice or soup each pressure cooker size can safely accommodate:

Does pressure cooker size matter? Of course!

Ciao,

L

salutistagolosa
    Participant

thanks a lot Laura – and I don’t know how i could have missed the article you linked!

At this stage I just want something she will use: if I could get two pans, your suggestion is perfect, but if I can only get one, maybe the 3.5 litres could be a compromise? ah, food for thought!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of information here – so it’s easy to miss just what you need.

I would go with bigger rather than smaller 4.5 L is the minimum size for Risotto for 6 people. In the 3.5 L she could make risotto for four.

She can always make two batches, too. ; )

Ciao,

L

salutistagolosa
    Participant

Thanks again Laura, you are always so helpful!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.